Chapter 41

Both Kasey and Carleigh arrived at the theatre early- Kasey was going for Daveed's Ham4Ham, and Carleigh wanted to be ready earlier than she usually was, since she was going on as Eliza.

"Are you excited?" Kasey asked as they stepped inside the door. On the bulletin board right next to the stage door was the usual 'in and out' list and the call sheet. Kasey quickly scrawled a 'KW' in her own box, and signed Carleigh in, too. 

Pippa's box was, of course, empty. And the in and out list had 'IN: C Bettiol, Eliza Hamilton' written on it. Jon Rua was going on as Hamilton, too.

Carleigh was staring at the in and out list, looking a little stunned. "I just cannot believe that this is really happening," she said finally. "I'm going on as Eliza tonight. It's so weird."

"You'll be amazing," Kasey reassured her friend, walking with Carleigh to the dressing room. "Do you want me to grab your mic?"

"Sure," Carleigh said.

Kasey ran up to the sound booth on stage right, waving to the sound manager as she went. She grabbed her mic from the box and had to search for a few seconds to find Carleigh's. Then she went back to the dressing room, practically running into Renee in the process.

"Slow down, Kasey," Renee laughed. "We still have an hour and a half before the show."

"Sorry, Renee," Kasey apologized. "I'll walk from now on."

"No, it's fine, just making sure you knew that you didn't have to rush around like a madwoman," Renee said, smiling. "Have a fantastic show."

"You too."

Kasey hurried back to the dressing room and handed Carleigh her mic. 

"Thanks," Carleigh said. Kasey sat down at her own station. 

"How do you feel?"

"I'm nervous, but I don't think it's a bad kind of nervous," Carleigh admitted. "I don't know. I think it'll go well."

"I know it will," Kasey said reassuringly. "You're amazing, and pretty, and the audience will love you. Your Eliza is so sweet."

"Thanks, Kasey," Carleigh said, while starting to put on her makeup. She looked around to see if anyone in the dressing room was there. "Are you ready for your test?"

"I don't know, I hope so. My brain is fried from studying history, honestly," Kasey said, exhaling. "It's so much material, and I feel like I can't think of anything else."

"You'll be fine," Carleigh said instantly. "You're smart and you care a lot about it- and even if you don't pass the first time, it doesn't mean that you can't take it again."

"I know, but I want to get it right the first time. Taking the test again wouldn't feel as special... if that makes sense. And I don't want to fail," Kasey admitted. 

Daveed knocked on the door. "Kasey, whenever you're ready, we can start the Ham4Ham," he told her. 

Kasey spun around looking for her jacket, but then she remembered she'd left it in the ensemble quick change room on her way to get the mics. "Crap, I need to get my jacket," she said. 

"Just borrow mine," Carleigh said instantly. She tossed her gray jacket over to Kasey.

"Thanks, Carleigh," Kasey said gratefully. 

"Anytime."

~~~~~~~~

Kasey stepped outside with Daveed and to screams from the fans. It was extremely windy and cold outside- she gave kudos to them for standing outside in the cold just to see the Ham4Ham. 

"Hello hello hello, Ham fans, and welcome to today's Ham4Ham!" Davees exclaimed into the mic. Kasey leaned up against the wall, watching Lin interact with the fans. 

Carleigh's jacket was a little too big for her, so she tucked her chin into the collar to keep her neck from freezing. 

"First of all, happy January 10! I'm excited to announce that our lovely Carleigh Bettiol will be making her Eliza Hamilton debut tonight, so if you win the lotto, you can see her amazing performance as Eliza for the first time! I know the entire cast is extremely excited for her, and I'm sure you all are, too," Daveed continued. "Jon Rua is also playing Hamilton, so it's gonna be a great show!"

"And, as you all may have heard, the votes were cast a week or two ago about the Cabinet Battle duel between myself and Kasey Winslow! We've counted them all up, I've has been practicing, and now, Kasey has something to say to you all!"

Daveed handed off the mic to Kasey. 

"First of all, thank you all for voting for me," she said. "I'm here to gloat that I won, wish my best friend Carleigh luck, and to say: here is Daveed Diggs, singing 'Helpless.'"

The crowd erupted in cheers. Kasey grinned.

"Have fun, Daveed."