Chapter 30

Disclaimer: This court doesn't really follow normal court proceedings, as I have little knowledge of court etiquette. All the shooters will be tried at the same time.

~~~~

Kasey arrived at the court house about an hour after leaving Carleigh's house. She met up with Thayne, Daveed, Oak, Renee, Jazzy, and Leslie. She was going to sit with them during court. 

They all seemed subdued. Renee especially. Kasey knew that Renee desperately wanted to be with Pippa instead of sitting in the audience. And even Jazzy wasn't her usual bubbly self. 

They all sat down to watch the proceedings. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the court case of Albert v.s. Miranda. The date is December 7, 2015. There are four defendants: Paul Caylor, Devon Grant, Xavier Munich, and Liam Winslow."

Hearing her last name made Kasey uncomfortable. But she had no relatives named Liam, and if she had, she would never have expected them to be part of the Richard Rodgers shooting. 

"The opening statement will be made by the prosecution," the judge said. 

A lawyer wearing a crisp suit and tie stood up and faced the jury and the audience. "Ladies and gentlemen, less than two months ago we all witnessed the horror as the events that took place in the Richard Rodgers Theatre as they unfolded. On September 24, 2015, these four men opened fire on innocent people. There were nineteen deaths, and many injuries. This shooting was a violent act of extremism and murder."

~~~~

The court case seemed to last forever. Kasey watched as Lin, Pippa, Alysha, and Javier were called to the stand one by one. Pippa seemed so small and vulnerable standing by herself. She looked pale and sad.

And Lin seemed to have been torn apart by the shooting. Kasey knew that Lin hadn't been focusing on the show as much. He was determined to get justice for the families of those who had died. 

Alysha was composed, but Kasey knew her well enough to see that her friend was also hurting. And Javier seemed shaken as he retold the events through his eyes.

Despite the fact that Javier had been injured, the prosecution and the defense seemed to use Pippa the most. They questioned her relentlessly. The prosecution to make her retell the horrifying events, and the defense to try and make her sound like a lunatic.

Kasey hated it so much. Pippa didn't deserve to be up there testifying. She'd already gone through so much. 

Before she knew it, the jury was leaving to deliberate and come to a decision. Kasey guessed that they would declare the four shooters guilty, but she also thought that the defense would most likely appeal to a higher court.

"How was your family?" Thayne asked Kasey.

Kasey jerked out her thoughts. "What?"

"Your family. How was Thanksgiving?"

"Thanksgiving was fine," Kasey said, somewhat confused. She wasn't sure if Thayne knew about the accident... "I didn't fly back to London, though."

"How is your family, though?"

Kasey didn't want to make Thayne embarrassed. She knew he probably didn't know about her parent's and her brother's deaths, and she didn't want to correct him, because she knew he'd feel bad.

"They're doing well," she said somewhat awkwardly. "Um, some close friends are adopting a French girl named Alaina soon. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to them in a while."

"That's fantastic!" Thayne exclaimed. "I hope that goes well for them!" 

Just then, the jury filed back inside, saving Kasey from more awkward explanations about her family. 

"The verdict is in. The defendants have been pronounced guilty and will be sentenced for life in prison," the judge announced. 

Kasey exhaled.

This wasn't going to be the end. She could tell.

The cast reunited with Lin, Pippa, Alysha, and Javier outside the courthouse once the judge went over the finer details. Everyone was subdued. They should have felt victorious, but they didn't. Reliving that day two months ago had made them all quiet. 

Kasey turned her phone on to see a message from Carleigh, sent in the cast groupchat.

Carleigh: for all of you who were in court today, i hope it went well. the grammy nominations came out today, and we have been nominated for best musical theatre album, just so you are all aware. congratulations everyone! i love you guys!

Kasey quickly called her friend.

"Hey," she said when Carleigh picked up. "They sentenced the men to life in jail, no parole. I get the feeling that there's going to be an appeal."

"It's good that we won, but that's probably likely," Carleigh agreed. "Are you okay? I can drive down there and be at the apartment in a few hours if you want."

"No, I'm okay," Kasey said. "I'm going to head home now. I'll text you when I get back."

"Alright, stay safe," Carleigh told her. 

"I will. I'll make some cupcakes and watch TV all by myself," Kasey laughed. She hung up and slid her phone into her jacket pocket.

Kasey hugged them all goodbye. Renee held on longer than anyone else. "I'll see you when the shows start up. Four days," Renee said. "Stay safe. Call me if you need anything."

"Of course," Kasey replied. 

Then, she set off down the street by herself. It was an odd feeling, to be walking around without Carleigh by her side. She didn't particularly like it, but at least she didn't have to walk down any empty streets alone. Their loft was on a fairly populated street. 

When she got back, the loft felt too quiet without Carleigh. Kasey got out a cookbook and made cupcakes while watching old episodes of 'Once Upon a Time'.