Chapter 8

Wendy and Paul Shaffer had foster parented Kasey after her family died. They'd never been able to adopt her but had always treated her like their own child. Since they couldn't have any children of their own, it was their way of having the daughter that they always wanted. Kasey was glad to be their foster daughter.

"Kasey!" Paul greeted as Kasey walked into the cafe. "How are you?"

"I'm okay, how are you guys?" Kasey asked, sitting down next to Wendy.

"We're great. We actually wanted to talk to you about something," Wendy said, casting a look at Paul. She put her hands on top of Kasey's. "We were considering adopting a child."

Kasey blinked, startled. This wasn't what she had thought they would say. "Wow, um, that's great!" she exclaimed.

"We want to make sure that you're okay with it," Wendy continued.

"Okay with it?" Kasey repeated. "Why wouldn't I be okay with it?"

"I don't know. You're like our daughter, and we never adopted you. We didn't want you to feel pushed aside," Paul said awkwardly. "We would never go through with it if you disapproved."

"I would never disapprove of something like that. I know why you didn't adopt me," Kasey said. "I think it's wonderful that you're doing this."

"Really?" Wendy asked, her eyes watering up. "You're okay with it?"

"Of course. I wish every happiness upon you both!" Kasey said.

"Thank you, Kasey. How is Hamilton?" Paul asked.

Kasey shrugged. "It could be a lot better. Remember Megan Anderson? She's in the cast, too." Wendy looked stunned.

"Megan Anderson? You mean the girl that you beat for the role of Belle in Beauty and the Beast?" Wendy asked disbelievingly.

"That's the one," Kasey said bitterly. "She's back, and she still hates me. She ruined a bunch of costumes and props and is blaming it on me. I could get fired."

"You need to tell someone, Kasey!" Paul exclaimed.

"There's no proof that Megan did it, and I don't think many of them like me," Kasey explained. "It's my word against hers. I think Lin is going to fire me."

"Lin won't fire you. From what I've heard, he's a decent man. If you went to him and explained, I think he would believe you," Wendy said gently.

"I don't know," Kasey said. She got a text on her phone.

Carleigh: Lin is looking for you. Don't freak out, it's going to be fine. I told him you were out to dinner with your foster parents and he wants to see you before the show tomorrow.

Kasey inhaled sharply. "I have to go. I'll talk to you later!" she told Wendy and Paul, grabbing her bag and quickly gave Wendy five dollars for the hot chocolate that she'd ordered.

"Love you, Kasey!" Wendy called after Kasey.

Kasey hurried down the street toward her and Carleigh's loft. She was so focused on getting back to her apartment that she didn't realize that one of the Broadway shows was just ending, and a swarm of fans was flooding out of the theatre.

"Araella!" someone said, tapping Kasey on the shoulder. Kasey frowned and spun around and came face-to-face with a blonde guy.

"I'm not Araella-"

"I am so sorry. I thought you were my costar. My apologies," the guy said quickly. "Um, I'm Jace."

"Kasey," Kasey said. "Listen, I have to go, and I don't know you."

"Maybe you could get to know me?" Jace said, calling after her as she hurried away. Kasey turned around and paused.

Jace caught up with her. "Give me your phone," he said. Kasey frowned but handed it over, unlocking it. Jace quickly clicked a few things and then handed it back to her. "My number's in there. Text me or call me."

Kasey swallowed but nodded. "See you," she said awkwardly, and then continued heading towards her home.