Chapter 48

The next week was the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award nominations. The entire cast gathered on the stage to watch. 

"Welcome to the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award Nominations," Idina Menzel, who was announcing the nominations, said. "This year was full of talent and outstanding new shows. Here are the nominees, brought to you by the audience themselves."

"For best new musical. Allegiance, Hamilton, School of Rock, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress."

The room exploded. They all had thought that they would be nominated- but nothing was ever for sure. 

They went through the nominations for other favorite shows- Tangled was nominated for favorite long-running show. Kasey knew Jace would be happy.

"For favorite leading actor in a musical. Alex Brightman, School of Rock; Danny Burstein, Fiddler on the Roof; Zachary Levi, She Loves Me; Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton; Leslie Odom Jr., Hamilton."

The noise barely died down after that announcement before:

"The nominees for favorite leading actress in a musical- Laura Benanti, She Loves Me; Cynthia Erivo, The Color Purple; Jessie Mueller, Waitress; Lea Salonga, Allegiance; Phillipa Soo, Hamilton."

"The nominees for favorite featured actor in a musical are Daveed Diggs, Hamilton; Jonathan Groff, Hamilton; Christopher Jackson, Hamilton; Andy Mientus, Spring Awakening,  and Anthony Ramos, Hamilton."

Kasey was a little stunned. There was only one non-Hamilton nominee for that category. 

And then:

"The nominees for favorite featured actress in a musical are Sierra Boggess, School of Rock; Renée Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton; Jennifer Hudson, The Color Purple; Jasmine Cephas Jones, Hamilton; Krysta Rodriguez, Spring Awakening."

Kasey threw her arms around Renee, who was closest. 

The nominations just kept coming- Jonathan got two more nominations, Daveed was nominated again, Lin, Pippa, and Leslie were all nominated for best onstage pair. Pippa, Anthony and Oak were nominated for best breakthrough performance. 

And then:

"This is a surprise new category to recognize achievements within the ensemble casts of each Broadway show. Often the ensembles are overlooked, and the Audience Choice Awards now bring you the first nominees for best ensemble of a musical. And they are the ensembles of: Allegiance, Hamilton, The Color Purple, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress."

The room exploded. Everyone was hugging each other- Kasey couldn't believe that there was a new ensemble category. She didn't think there would have been- ensembles were usually overlooked in awards.

"Quite often in ensembles, there are a few individuals who inexplicably draw attention to themselves. Their dynamic performances and superb skills make them shine and bring new life to the ensembles. The Audience Choice Awards have also created a new category of Favorite Ensemble Performer in a Musical. "

The noise level in the room immediately dropped. Silence. Kasey held her breath.

"And here are the nominees for Favorite Ensemble Performer in a Musical: Ariana DeBose, Hamilton; Brandon Espinoza, Tuck Everlasting; Thayne Jasperson, Hamilton; Jared Parker, School of Rock; and Kasey Winslow, Hamilton."

Kasey blinked. She didn't really register the words until Carleigh swept her up in a huge hug, and then she could hear the shouts from the cast and everyone jumping up and down. 

"YOU'RE NOMINATED FOR FAVORITE ENSEMBLE MEMBER!" Carleigh exclaimed. Kasey just blinked some more and let everyone jump around and hug her. She was still a little shell-shocked.

It took a long time for the noise to die down. Rory and Andrew were also nominated, and all five of the favorite new songs went to Hamilton.

Overall, it was an unbelievable night. 

Kasey still couldn't believe that she'd been nominated for ensemble and individually. She'd gone into the evening expecting the show to get nominated, but she didn't think that the ensemble would be singled out. And she definitely hadn't dreamed of getting an individual nomination. 

Everyone stayed after the announcements to eat food and celebrate. People kept coming up to Kasey and congratulating her.

It was a dream come true.

~~~~~

When Kasey finally got back to the loft and checked her phone, she found a message from Jace waiting for her.

Jace: congrats on the ensemble + individual nomination! i looked just before the voting closed and saw your name up for nomination and i have never clicked faster :)

Kasey: thanks! i still can't believe it honestly

Jace: you deserve it, you're so amazing up there!

Kasey: i'm surprised, honestly. i thought the audience didn't like me because i'm british

Jace: that's why they love you- i think they're drawn to that about you. 

Kasey: thanks, jace :)

Jace: when are the citizenship results coming out?

Kasey's heart plummeted to the ground. In all of her excitement about the Audience Choice Awards, she'd forgotten that the citizenship results were coming in the mail the next day.

Kasey: they're tomorrow... i completely forgot

Jace: don't sweat too much. you'll get it, i promise.