Chapter 7

Kasey was stressed out. All day people had started to give her suspicious looks and even some of the techies were beginning to send nasty looks her way. She knew she was innocent. Just no one else did.

"Kasey, what's going on?" Carleigh asked her when she arrived. "All the costumes are ruined. They're saying you did it."

"I didn't, Carleigh, I swear. This show means so much to me," Kasey said tiredly. "I'm so sick of being the outcast."

"Kase, I never thought it was you," Carleigh said gently. "And you're not the outcast. Everyone loves you. If anyone is the outcast, it's Megan."

"She's the one who did it," Kasey said, looking up at Carleigh. "I went to the cubby room to get my water bottle back, and she walked past and basically said that she deleted tapes from last night."

"Then you have to tell Lin," Carleigh told her. "You can't just let Megan walk all over you, Kasey!"

"What would Lin say? At this point it's going to look like I'm making it up to get Megan in trouble. She played it right, and she knows she's going to win. I'm going to get fired," Kasey cried.

"Giving up isn't the Kasey Winslow that I know," Carleigh said, her voice hardening. "You're a strong person, and you cannot let Megan Anderson ruin your career over some petty college rivalry. This is your life, too. Not just hers."

"I know that, but I'm in no position to do anything right now," Kasey said. "There's no evidence that proves that it wasn't me. Lin will have to take Megan's word on this. I will not make myself look even more like a fraud that Megan is making me look anyway."

"You never deserved anything that Megan gave you," Carleigh said, her voice softening. "You're too sweet and kind for this, Kasey."

"If only more people thought so," Kasey said. "I have to get my makeup on."

"So do I. I'll come with you," Carleigh said.

~~~~

The atmosphere in the dressing room was chilled. The other ensemblists cast suspicious looks at Kasey the entire time she was in there putting on her makeup and curling her hair. Kasey, instead of dawdling in the room like she usually did, left as soon as she was done getting ready. Carleigh followed suit.

"I can't stand the looks they keep giving me," Kasey said frustratedly. "I feel the silent judgement and I can't do anything about it!"

"They'll just need to wait and see what Lin finds. If you get in trouble, I'll vouch for you. You were at the loft the entire night," Carleigh reassured her.

"Places in ten," the loudspeaker announced. They both started making their way toward the stage. Pippa, Jazzy and Renee stepped out of their dressing room just as Kasey and Carleigh passed.

"Good evening, you two," Renee greeted. "Have a good show."

"Break a leg!" Pippa chimed in, hugging them both. Jazzy held her hand out to Kasey for a high-five but a split second before their hands touched, she dabbed instead. The three of them passed Kasey and Carleigh and Jazzy winked before they disappeared around the corner.

As soon as the three Schuyler Sisters were out of earshot, Kasey spoke.

"They're the only ones other than you who are treating me like a normal person. Everyone else just thinks I'm an American-hating Brit," she said bitterly.

"It'll be alright. If they believe you're innocent, then everyone else will, too, you'll see."

"I hope so."

"Places in five," the loudspeaker said. Kasey high-fived Carleigh one last time and then went to her place. She did her customary wall-stretch.

Javier walked past Kasey. He usually stopped to chat with her for at least a couple minutes before the shows, but this time, he brushed past her without even glancing at her.

They all were wearing white button down shirts instead of their customary vests. It was definitely different to be dancing in a different costume. Kasey's vest, of course, hadn't been destroyed, but she had to match everyone else's. Theirs were still ruined.

Kasey threw herself into the show, trying to make it as good as she could. She danced with heart and she felt that it was one of her best shows that she'd ever done. She had to do something to make her cast members trust her again, despite the fact that she never did anything in the first place.

The show ended. Kasey had to rush to get to a restaurant, where she was meeting up with her foster parents.

"Excuse me!" she called, trying to shove her way through the chaos that was the ensemble cubby room. Unluckily for her, her cubby was farthest from the door.

"Don't shove me, runt," Megan snapped at Kasey.

"Can you let me through? I have to be somewhere," Kasey asked irritably.

"You'll get through when everyone else gets through, not before. You think you're better than us? You're not. Go back to England," Megan spat, shoving her backward.

"Let me go."

"Leave her alone, Megan," Carleigh said. "Go on, Kasey. I'll see you when you get home."

Kasey pushed past them both and hurried to the restaurant, where her foster parents were waiting.

~~~~~

Author's Note:

I'm writing future chapters and they will cover a serious topic. I hope you're all alright with it, but I'm not going to tell you :) it will be a surprise. Just warning you, things will get serious eventually. 

Love you all!

~darkdisrepair