Chapter 55

Lin was excited for Kasey's ceremony. 

Kasey was one of the sweetest, most intelligent people that Lin had ever met. She was selfless and she cared deeply about the show. Lin could tell. He was honored that she wanted to become a citizen in the Richard Rodgers theatre with the cast.

They took their final bows of the night and then Lin motioned for the officials to come onstage.

"We have some explaining to do," Lin said to the audience. "You may be wondering why dark men in suits are onstage now. I am extremely excited and delighted to have them here today."

"When I began casting the Original Broadway cast, I looked for people with specific talent. They were enigmatic, charming, bright individuals. I wanted mixed races, different genders, people who defied social norms. I wanted people to embody the spirit of this show."

"So, when I was digging through the young dancers and singers, I came across Pippa Soo, a Juilliard alumni. But this isn't about her. The point is, Pippa suggested that I look at some of the top dancers and actors in the current Juilliard classes. She'd been to some of their productions and she thought that some of them showed promised. So, I went and auditioned some people there. And that's where I met Kasey Winslow."

"You see, Kasey may not be American, but I saw that she was one of the most talented people at that school. Her audition was fantastic. I was instantly convinced that she'd be a fitting part of this cast. Even while she was being taught the 'My Shot' combination for the audition, without even seeing her really dance, I knew I wanted her as one of the original ensemble members for Hamilton. I cast her that day, and she's onstage with us now. I have never regretted that casting decision. Not even once."

"You know how I just said that Kasey wasn't an American?" Lin asked the audience.

Some nodded. Some looked confused.

"Today, right now, Kasey has agreed to perform her dual citizenship ceremony in front of you all. And that is why those men in dark suits are here."

The audience went wild for a while. Lin held up a hand for silence. "I'm going to turn it over to them now."

The man in the suit stepped forward. "Good evening. I am Kent Matthews. I must ask Kasey Winslow to step forward."

"I understand that you have completed everything that we've required before this ceremony. I now must ask that you turn over your Permanent Residence Card," Matthews said. 

"It's on stage left," Carleigh told Kasey. Kasey went and got it and returned onstage, handing it to Matthews. 

"I must ask you several questions," Matthews continued. "Have you left the United States since your interview?"

"No, I have not," Kasey said. 

"Have you been arrested for any activity since your interview?"

"No."

"If a US draft is enacted, you must be willing to serve the country and its people in military service. If you are willing, you must say 'I will'."

"I will," Kasey said. 

"Do you renounce Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as your sovereign and all her titles?"

"I do."

"Read these words off this sheet, please, exactly as written."

"I, Kasey Elizabeth Winslow, hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

"So help you God?"

"So help me god."

"Kasey, in front of your friends and the audience before you, I now present to you your certificate of dual citizenship of the United States of America and the United Kingdom."

Red, white and blue confetti exploded onstage and the ensemble instantly mobbed Kasey in a huge group hug, yelling and squealing. Two of the ensemblists on the second level unfurled the UK's flag and the United State's flag from the balcony. The other cast members joined soon after. The techies played a mashup of 'Yorktown' and King George's songs.

The theatre had been pretty loud when they won the Grammy. It was pretty close to that level now.