Chapter 52

Kasey was shocked. As if she were in a dream, she walked back up to the podium. They handed her the award.

"Wow, I was not expecting this. Thayne and Ariana, you both are so amazing. I honestly expected you both to be up here," Kasey said. "Um, coming over from the UK was a difficult experience for sophomore Kasey. It's hard when you're in a new place and around different people. Then I met everyone at Hamilton, and I finally felt like I had a home. They've helped me through so much, and this show means so much to me. I honestly feel like these people are my family. I want to thank some people especially. My foster parents, Wendy and Paul; my parents, and my brother. They're all not here anymore but I do this for them. And I want to thank Carleigh Bettiol from the bottom of my heart. You're my best friend, and the best person I have ever known. I owe you so much gratitude, appreciation, admiration, and love.  Thank you so, so much. I could thank you every day of my life and it would never be enough. And thanks to Lin and Lac for this amazing opportunity. And of course, to the ensemble. This is for you."

The room applauded and Kasey took her seat. She could feel the tears growing in her eyes but she quickly composed herself just in time to hear the next awards. 

The awards passed in a blur after that. Hamilton won a few more times, and then people moved to the after-party.

Jace met Kasey at the entrance to the party. 

"Congratulations, Kase," he said, hugging her. 

"You, too. Tangled!" she exclaimed.

"I was surprised we tied with Wicked. It's unheard of," Jace admitted. "Do you want to go in to the party?"

"Sure," Kasey said. She still had the award. They made the recipients carry them around. Ariana and Thayne walked over.

"Congrats, Kasey!" Thayne exclaimed. "Let's get a picture."

Kasey, Ariana and Thayne posed together with the ensemble awards. Ariana then posted the picture on her Instagram. 

"We need to FaceTime the other ensemblists," Thayne said. 

"Let's do it now," Kasey suggested. "Then we can show them the after-party."

~~~~~~

The after-party lasted a few hours, and then everyone started to drift home. It was fairly late at night. Kasey waved goodbye to her friends and started walking to the loft, which was only about two blocks away. She wasn't afraid- she was on busy streets. 

When she got home, Carleigh was up and waiting.

"Congratulations," Carleigh said, giving Kasey a hug when she walked in the door. "Thayne took a video of your speech. It was an honor to be mentioned."

"You really do deserve it. You're like a sister to me, and I can never thank you enough for being such an amazing friend, Carleigh," Kasey said earnestly. "You've inspired me and made be a better person."

"Aww, Kasey. The same goes for you. You've changed my life. I never thought I would meet someone like you and have such a good best friend," Carleigh replied. "What did they do with your award?"

"They have to specifically engrave it, and then they're mailing it to the theatre when it's done," Kasey said. "And anyway, you won, too! Ensemble!"

"I know! It's so exciting," Carleigh admitted. "It's not always about awards, but being recognized by the audience is just as important as getting the support of other actors and actresses."

Kasey quickly got changed and went back to sit with Carleigh in the living room. She was too wound up to go to sleep.

"So, what do you think about your citizenship ceremony?" Carleigh asked. "Didn't they send you another letter yesterday?"

"Yeah," Kasey said. "I haven't really thought about it. It's been crazy, with Alaina and everything."

"What would you want your citizenship ceremony to be like?"

"I would want the Hamilton cast there, maybe," Kasey admitted. "You guys are like family. There's no one else I'd rather have with me than the people I work with every day."

"That would be amazing, but I don't think it would be possible for us all to be in the same place at once," Carleigh laughed. "Wouldn't it be great if you could do it after a show, like in the theatre?"

"That would be cool, but I don't think they'd ever do something like that. Citizenship ceremonies are usually done in private, right?"

"I'm not sure. But it would be epic if you could become a citizen in the Richard Rodgers," Carleigh told her. 

"It would."

"Even if it were in front of a lot of people?"

"I wouldn't mind. It's not like it's some super secret event. People can watch me take an oath if they really want to. I'm used to people staring at me anyway- it might be cool," Kasey said, shrugging.

"It would be a one-of-a-kind thing, definitely," Carleigh mused. 

"Do you want to watch American Ninja Warrior?" Kasey asked. "I'm too energized right now to try and sleep."

"Sure," Carleigh said, laughing slightly. "We never did find out who won."