Chapter 51

The next few weeks were insane. The people who were nominated for the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards had rehearsals to attend, and everything in general was ramping up for awards season. 

Kasey hung out with Alaina quite a bit, when Alaina wasn't at school. It was a nice feeling- it was like having a little sister to talk to and joke around with. Vanessa and Lin seemed to love having Alaina as a foster daughter, and Kasey was glad. She knew what it was like to be fostered. Alaina seemed to be adjusting well, and seemed to regard Lin and Vanessa as her parents. 

And before Kasey knew it, it was the date of the awards. 

She decided to wear a navy blue dress and a pair of heels. Carleigh curled her hair before the awards ceremony. 

Lin, Pippa, Leslie, Thayne, Ariana, Lac, Daveed, Anthony, Jonathan, Renee, and Jazzy were all going. Rory and Andrew couldn't go.

The room was huge, and overlooked the city. They were all seated at round tables by show. Kasey found herself sitting between Pippa and Ariana. 

There was food and drinks, but Kasey didn't eat anything. She'd eaten with Carleigh before she'd left. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2016 Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards. The winners tonight were chosen through an audience poll.  First off, we're beginning with Best Musical. Often on Broadway, musicals are what define the theatre in New York City. These musicals are the best of the best, and stunning new additions to New York City's history of musical shows. And the nominees are- Allegiance, Hamilton, School of Rock, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress."

Kasey held her breath. She thought that Hamilton could win, but-

"And the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award goes to... Hamilton!"

Lin and Lac went up to accept the award.

"There are so many people that go into making a musical. Hamilton is no exception. We'd like to thank the creatives of the show, as well as our talented choreographer, Andy. We'd like to acknowledge the techies, who are behind the scenes taking care of things, and we'd most of all like to give a shoutout to all of our families. We honestly couldn't do it without you. And to the other nominees- your shows are simply fantastic. Thank you for the honor," Lac said. "And thank you to the pit orchestra."

A few more awards passed. 

"Long-running shows. What can we say? These are the shows that have been running for one year or more. These shows are the classically Broadway shows, whether it's romantic opera style or excited jazz style. Here are the nominees."

Kasey hoped that Tangled would win, but she wasn't sure what would happen. It was up against long-running shows like Wicked, which would be extremely difficult to beat. 

"For the first time in the history of this award ceremony, we have a tie. Please congratulate the casts and crews of Wicked and Disney's Tangled." 

Kasey cheered for Jace as he went up to the stage, accompanied by Kaitlyn Knox. The cast from Wicked was there too. 

Jace slapped the other recipients a high-five. 

"Thank you for this wicked honor," Jace said. The audience groaned. Kasey laughed. "All kidding aside, Tangled has been a huge part of my life and everyone else in this cast for a long time. We're honored to stand alongside Wicked as the Favorite Long-Running Show of this year."

Lin won for favorite leading actor in a musical- Kasey wasn't surprised. Lin was a fantastic actor, singer, writer, and musician. He deserved it.

Pippa won for leading actress. Kasey was so happy for Pippa. She'd been through so much- she deserved the award. Pippa thanked Renee and Jazzy and also gave credit to Lin and her parents, which Kasey found to be very sweet.

The awards just kept coming for Hamilton. Jonathan won three times, Renee won for featured actress, Lin and Leslie won for favorite onstage pair, Daveed and Pippa won for breakthrough performance. 

"Ensembles are the backbone of every show. Whether they're jamming out to upbeat songs like 'Born to Hand Jive' from Grease, or chasing wicked witches of the west in Wicked, or chanting Circle of Life, they add life, energy, and that little something extra to every musical. The nominees for this category are some of the standout ensembles that give their musicals their talents. The nominees for Favorite Ensemble are: Allegiance, Hamilton, The Color Purple, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress."

"And the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award goes to... Hamilton!" 

Kasey stood up, along with Thayne and Ariana. They all walked to the podium to receive the award.

"We're accepting on behalf of all of our friends with us in ensemble. It's a huge honor to be recognized by the people we perform for. We do it for you guys. We also are performing for the people onstage with us. We'd like to give shout-outs to our fellow ensemblists- Carleigh, Sydney, Megan, Jon, Austin, Seth, Betsy, and Ephraim, as well as the swings: Andrew, Neil, Stephanie, Morgan, and Voltaire. Without you guys, we wouldn't be here today."

"Speaking of Favorite Ensemble, we also have another new category: Favorite Ensemble Performer in a Musical. These ensemblists radiate warmth and draw you in with their dynamic performances onstage. They may not be the leading act, but you unconsciously focus on them throughout the show. Their talent does not go unnoticed by the audience as they become their own stars onstage. The nominees are: Ariana DeBose, Hamilton; Brandon Espinoza, Tuck Everlasting; Thayne Jasperson, Hamilton;  Jared Parker, School of Rock; and Kasey Winslow, Hamilton."

Kasey didn't think she would win. She was sure that Thayne would get it- he deserved it. He was the kindest, funniest, most caring ensemble guy there was. Or Ariana. Her performance as the bullet stunned Kasey every time. She wished that she could be as talented of a dancer as Ariana.

"And the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award goes to... Kasey Winslow, Hamilton!"