Chapter 47

Kasey and Jace stayed at the cafe for about an hour, catching up on everything that had been going on. She could tell that Jace was still furious at his father.

"Do you think you'll get citizenship?" Jace asked.

"I really, really hope so. I keep having to renew my visa and at this point, the US feels a lot more like home. I don't really have anyone in the UK anymore," Kasey said. "But here I have the entire Hamilton cast, and Carleigh's family, and you, and it's been amazing."

"I think you'll get it. You're a model citizen, and everyone knows who you are," Jace reassured her. "I'm glad that you decided to be an exchange student."

"Me, too," Kasey said.

"So, what are your plans for the next weeks?"

"Um, the show, obviously. I think that we have some revision rehearsals, and then I think the Broadway.com Audience Choice Award nominations come out. I think they've added some categories, so I'm excited to see what those are."

"I haven't looked at the preliminary voting yet," Jace admitted. "I usually stay away from that kind of stuff, because I don't want to be tempted to vote for Tangled for everything. But I think this year Hamilton's going to sweep."

"You never know. Tangled is an amazing show."

"We got a lot of awards last year. Now we're really only in the running for the long running show awards," Jace told her.

"I wasn't sure how that worked. I'm still British," Kasey reminded him. "I've only been here a few years, and this is really my first Broadway involvement."

"True," Jace laughed. "The shows not eligible for Tony's are in the long running categories, and the new shows can be nominated for all the regular awards."

"Thanks for clarifying," Kasey laughed.

"Of course," Jace told her.

Kasey checked her watch. "I have to go, the first revision rehearsal is all day tomorrow."

"Of course," Jace said, immediately standing up and handing Kasey her coat. "See you later. I'm sorry about my father."

"Every parent has their flaws," Kasey said. "Thanks for tonight."

~~~~~

The next day was the first revision rehearsal. Lin wanted to go through the show number by number and change up the choreography. They'd been running for a few months and he wanted to integrate some dance moves that he thought would make the show better.

Kasey was excited, but she was also just ready for the results of her citizenship test to come out. Sadly, they were only supposed to be mailed to her in a week. It was the same as the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards. 

"Alright. We're going to run through each song, stop for notes and new choreography, run those new sections, and then put it together with the entire song. I scheduled for a matinee performance tomorrow instead of an evening performance so we can run the new choreography after instead of before. Keep in mind, that the new choreography will not be in the matinee show tomorrow," Lin announced.

Everyone nodded. 

"We're going to begin from the top. Get into places for 'Alexander Hamilton,'" Lin instructed. 

Kasey grabbed her water bottle and put it on stage left before sliding to her spot.

They quickly went through the song. The only error that involved Kasey was that the people in the original line in the front of the stage didn't make enough room for her to step in and join them, so she had to tap Oak on the back so that he'd move over.

Other than that, it went well.

"Alright. Good job, guys. It could have been a little cleaner, but that's fine. I know you know the choreography," Lin said. "I don't have many changes. Here, we're just going to do a little more of this..."

~~~~~

The rehearsal was tiring, but it went well. Kasey picked up the new moves quickly, and she found herself liking what Lin had changed more than the original. The new choreography fit the songs better onstage.

When they were finished, Kasey, Carleigh, Thayne, and Oak decided to go to the movies. Originally they were planning on seeing one of the more grown-up films, but when Oak saw that Kung Fu Panda 3 was playing, he insisted that they go. Kasey sat between Carleigh and Oak. 

"Kung Fu Panda is the best film series ever made," Oak announced, after Kasey teased him for wanting to watch an animated children's film.

"I can't say that I've ever watched them," Kasey admitted.

Oak whipped his head around. "You've never seen Kung Fu Panda?" he demanded.

Kasey nodded.

"Okay. I'm going to make you watch the first two as soon as possible. We're going to educate you on the highlights of the American film industry," Oak said.

Carleigh snorted. "I would not say that Kung Fu Panda is the height of the American film industry. It's more like Saving Private Ryan or Star Wars," she said. 

Kasey noticed Thayne take out his phone and start filming Carleigh and Oak's argument. She nearly laughed out loud, but Thayne put a finger to his lips for her to be quiet.

"You know what, Carleigh Bettiol, Kung Fu Panda is one thousand times better. When else would you get to see a ninja panda?" Oak retorted. "You need to be more cultured."

"Alright, alright," Kasey laughed. "I'll watch them with you, Oak."

"Yes, but they're not the height of-"

Luckily for Kasey, the movie started, and she was spared from the rest of Oak and Carleigh's arguing.