Chapter 29

Before Kasey knew it, it was Thanksgiving. Carleigh and her mother hadn't invited anyone else over except Kasey, so the house wasn't crowded at all. 

They all helped to make the turkey together. 

"Is turkey a thing in the United States?" Kasey asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Is there a specific reason why Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving? Or is it just because of the turkey's size?" 

"Don't British people eat turkey on Thanksgiving?" Carleigh asked as she mixed the herbs for the turkey in a bowl. 

"We never really celebrated Thanksgiving, to be honest," Kasey said. "It's more of an American thing, and ever since sophomore year I've always wondered about the turkey."

"You didn't have it in college, and after?" Patricia asked.

"Well, yes, in college, but that was all, and you can never count on traditions you have in college carrying over to the real world," Kasey protested. 

"I don't really know why we eat turkey, honestly," Carleigh admitted.

~~~~

The rest of the day was full of cooking. Patricia made Kasey make the stuffing, and put Carleigh on mashed potato duty. It didn't seem like work, though. 

They talked about Hamilton for most of the morning and afternoon as they cooked. Kasey and Carleigh even demonstrated some of their dances in the kitchen. Kasey was wearing socks so she slipped all over the place, but Patricia got the main points of the choreography. 

"So, Kasey, I'm curious about how you got into doing Hamilton," Patricia said when they were all sitting in the living room, waiting for the turkey to finish. 

"I came over here as an exchange student for college, and then I just ended up finishing out here, since I liked it so much," Kasey explained. "Broadway has a different atmosphere than the West End. I felt more drawn to the shows here."

"When did you audition for Hamilton?" 

"Well, when you're foreign, you can really only have a job that involves what it says on your papers. I had acting/dancing on my papers, and so I was auditioning all over the place, for anything really. Then I just went to the open auditions."

"And then you got the part?"

"They called me like two weeks later and offered me the ensemble part for the workshop, and then they basically took anyone from the workshop who wanted to go to the Public Theatre into the cast, and they did the same thing for Broadway."

"What roles do you understudy?" Patricia asked.

"I study Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy," Kasey said. "I've only ever gone onstage for Angelica so far, which is honestly my worst nightmare."

"Why?"

"Angelica's parts are the fastest, and I have the hardest time keeping the American accent sustained for the whole show," Kasey explained. 

"That sounds like a lot of work," Patricia said.

"It is, but I love it."

"And when is the court date?" Patricia asked.

"It's December 7th. A bunch of us are going just to support the four cast members who were called to testify, but the lawyers think that they're going to take the case to a higher court, so this might not actually be the final court date," Kasey said. 

"Are you sure you don't want to stay with us instead of going to court?" Patricia asked softly. "I'd love to have you stay longer."

"I'd hate to intrude, and I really do want to support Pippa, Lin, Ariana, and Javier," Kasey told Patricia. "And you need some time alone with your family. I feel bad to stay over this long."

"You never need to feel bad. I have a soft spot for those in need of family during the holidays," Patricia said immediately. "I know your family died a long time ago, but I know what it's like to go through the holidays without them-"

Kasey just nodded. 

"But the Grammy nominations come out that date, too!" Carleigh realized. "I don't think Lin has thought about that... the cast is going to be all split up."

"Just text me the results," Kasey laughed. "I'll be excited to know when court is done."

"Alright. I'll call you if we get nominated," Carleigh agreed. "Just tell me when you finish in court," 

"I will," Kasey promised. 

"I'm sure that you guys will be nominated," Patricia said confidently. "Now, who wants chocolate cake?"

~~~~~~~

A few days later, Kasey dressed in a white shirt, black blazer, and light green pants for court. She wore flats, because she hated heels. She had also packed her belongings up. She would return to the loft after court, instead of going back to Patricia's house. Carleigh would come about three days later. 

"Good luck," Patricia said, hugging Kasey. "Come back soon to visit. I expect to see you here at Christmas, are we clear?"

"If that's what you really want," Kasey laughed. 

She turned to Carleigh. To her surprise, her friend had tears in her eyes. 

"Aw, Carleigh," Kasey said. "Don't cry, we'll see each other soon."

"I feel awful that you're going to court without me," Carleigh said, wiping the tears off. "I feel like I should be going with you."

"I'll be okay. I'm not even testifying," Kasey said reassuringly. 

"But you're going to be all alone at the loft," Carleigh protested. 

"I'm an independent girl, Carleigh. I can handle a few days without my big sister," Kasey said. Tears were still forming in Carleigh's eyes.

"Be safe, okay?" she said, enveloping Kasey in a hug. They stayed that way for a few seconds. Kasey felt safe with Carleigh, and even though she tried to convince her friend that she was alright on her own, Kasey preferred to be with Carleigh. Carleigh was like the big sister she'd never had. 

"I will, I promise," Kasey said. "Now, don't cry. We'll be reunited. It's not like Wicked." 

"I know. I hope court goes well."