Chapter 20

Jace walked into the Richard Rodgers, wearing a tuxedo and a gold ribbon on his lapel. He showed his ticket to the ushers at the door and sat down in the fifth row from the front. The lights dimmed

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Hamilton on Broadway. Thank you for coming. We must remind you of the emergency exits on your left and your right on either side of the theatre. No video or audio recording is permitted within this theatre. If you notice any suspicious behavior, please notify the staff on your floor immediately. Thank you," the announcements said. "This show is performed in memory of Lucas Meyer, Noelle Meyer, Graham Porter, Amelia Rachel, Victoria Smythe, Cara Drew, Quinn Lightner, Duncan Spade, Tristan Patterson, Jay Finnegan, Isabelle Stewart, Hunter Armstrong, Lillian Armstrong, Grant Reese, Bethany Olivo, Anthony Bracken, Derrick Pace, Kitty Dunst, Fred Allison and Danielle Patton."

Jace bowed his head and closed his eyes, thinking of everyone who had died in the theatre. It was strange to think that people had lost their lives in the very same place where Jace was sitting. The theatre was silent for about a minute.

Then, the stage lights turned on and Leslie Odom Jr stepped out to begin the first Hamilton show since the shooting.

Jace watched as the rest of the cast joined him onstage. The energy level was palpable and Jace could almost sense the determination of the cast. He immediately sought to find Kasey, and he saw her about halfway through the first song. He'd never seen her onstage before, but she moved with such grace and emotion that he couldn't help but be mesmerized.

Everyone in the cast was eye-catching. Lin, Leslie, Anthony, Pippa, Renee, Carleigh, all the cast members that Jace had heard Kasey talk about were just as amazing as he thought they would be. He could not believe how fantastic Hamilton was and just how much heart the cast had.

Before he knew it, it was intermission. Jace stood to stretch and someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around.

"What's your name?" it was an older woman, who had a regal air about her.

"Jace Reynolds," Jace said, somewhat confused.

"Who are you here to see?" the woman asked.

"Um, my friend, Kasey Winslow. She's in ensemble, but I also really wanted to see the show in general. I've heard great things about it," Jace replied.

"But why are you here?"

Jace frowned. "I'm here because it's important to be here. Actors on Broadway support each other, and this is their first show in a month. Recovering that quickly from something like the shooting takes a lot of strength. I admire them all."

"And what do you think of the show?"

"I think it's a beautiful masterpiece. Lin Manuel-Miranda did a wonderful job. He deserves all the praise in the world. It's mind blowing," Jace told the woman.

"I'll tell my son you said that," the woman said, and walked away. "He'll be very happy to hear that the audience members are appreciating his work."

Jace processed what she'd said about five minutes after she left. She had been Lin's mother. He hadn't recognized her at all, and he almost wanted to go searching for her again.

He'd just spoken to Lin Manuel Miranda's mother.

The house lights flickered and Jace sat back in his seat, flipping through the program. He skimmed through Kasey's bio as he waited.

"'Kasey Winslow, ensemble, has appeared in the West End's Wicked, but this is her Broadway debut. Additional roles include Flounder in The Little Mermaid, Rizzo in Grease, and Little Red in Into the Woods. She'd like to thank Wendy and Paul Shaffer, Phillipa Soo, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Lin Manuel-Miranda, and most of all, Carleigh Bettiol for their outstanding support over the past three years. This is for her family, and everyone else rooting for her in the UK.'"