Chapter 22

The rest of the week was insane. A lot of people were getting sick from the stress. Luckily for Kasey, none of the Schuyler Sisters had gotten sick.

Until Wednesday. Both Renee and Jazzy called in sick, and Lin asked Kasey to understudy for Renee and Megan to understudy for Jazzy.

Kasey had accepted before she realized that she was supposed to see Wicked with Jace that day. All in all, Hamilton was more important to her than Wicked, but she felt horribly that she was going to have to cancel on Jace.

Kasey: i'm really sorry about this, but i've been put-in as angelica for today's matinee, so i can't get off.

Jace: break a leg! you'll be amazing

Kasey: i'm so sorry about wicked, maybe you can find someone else to go with you. i'd hate for the ticket to go to waste.

Jace: don't worry about it, best of luck as angelica schuyler and may you always be satisfied ;)

Kasey: oh god, it might not go that well. i haven't run through angelica for forever and satisfied is always the hardest for me since the accent always slips in without me even realizing it, and this will be the first time i've actually had to play angelica on broadway

Jace: you'll be wonderful, don't stress too hard. you guys clearly know the show inside and out.

Kasey: thanks, and sorry again about wicked

Jace: stop freaking yourself out, you'll be great.

Kasey sighed and went to the dressing room to start reviewing Angelica's lines, especially 'Satisfied'.

Megan walked in the door as she was halfway through the song.

"It sounds better than usual," Megan said. Kasey couldn't tell if that was a compliment or a veiled insult. It was probably both.

"Good morning, Megan," Kasey said, trying not to let the other girl's words bother her. "You're going on as Peggy/Maria, right?"

"Yes, so it looks like we'll have to pretend to like each other," Megan said snidely, just as Carleigh walked in the dressing room.

"Stop being rude, Megan, it's not flattering," Carleigh said. She looked at Kasey. "What's wrong?"

Kasey just shook her head. She sat down at her station. After Megan left, Carleigh came over and sat down next to her.

"I know something's up, Kasey," she said.

"I'm in for Angelica," Kasey said, while attempting to tame her hair. Carleigh wordlessly started bobby pinning for her. "And I'm just really stressed right now, and I'm so sick of dealing with Megan."

Carleigh looked surprised. "You're in for Angelica? I thought you were going to Wicked today," she said.

"Lin asked me to step in before I remembered, and I feel like I can't keep missing shows. Jace understands, and this is really important to me, too," Kasey said.

"Don't stress out, Kasey. You're fantastic, and I know you'll be so amazing," Carleigh said. She picked up her curling iron and started curling Kasey's hair. "Run through it with me."

Kasey obediently started running Angelica's parts with Carleigh.

"Hold on, Kase, you're doing that weird mixed accent again," Carleigh said gently. "Just pretend that you're making fun of our accents. Maybe that would help."

Kasey let out a frustrated sigh. "This is impossible. I hate being British," she groaned.

"It'll be alright, Kasey! Stop stressing out so much. You're so amazing, and being British is part of who you are. Embrace it. Honestly, you know the show so well that I know that you'll be amazing," Carleigh said, hugging Kasey. "I have to get ready, but maybe FaceTiming Renee would help. She could give you some pointers while you get ready."

Kasey decided that bothering Renee wasn't worth interrupting her friend's relaxing day, and instead just sang most of the show as she finished curling her hair and putting it up into Angelica's hairstyle.

The other ensemble girls started filing in, including Alysha, Arianna, and Betsy.

"Kasey, I heard you're debuting as Angelica!" Alysha exclaimed. "You're going to be amazing, and I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks," Kasey said, while putting on her blush. She sighed deeply.

"You alright, Kase?" Arinna asked, noticing.

"I'm just stressed, and when I'm stressed, the accent slips, which makes me stress even more, so yeah, I'm fine," Kasey said, massaging her temples.

"Hey, Kasey. The audience doesn't care if Angelica Schuyler has a slight British accent. Just because that there are Americans in this show doesn't mean that they all didn't have accents. Besides, you barely ever screw up. You'll be amazing," Arianna said gently. "You're so talented, and I think you're even better than you realize. Just trust your instincts."

"It means a lot, Ari, thank you so much," Kasey said, hugging her friend.

"Places!" the loudspeaker announced.

They all stood to head to places. Kasey took a deep breath before walking out the door of the dressing room.

It was now or never.