Chapter 37

Kasey was slowly starting to feel normal again. Sometimes the depression hit her like a wave, and sometimes she didn't even think about Wendy and Paul. Until she got another phone call from the British Embassy.

"Miss Winslow, as you may not have been aware, Wendy and Paul Shaffer have legally adopted a child named Alaina Reese. She is now in the foster care system. However, we cannot transfer the possession of guardianship to your care because of the lack of legal connection between yourself and Mr and Mrs Shaffer," the representative told her.

Kasey had forgotten about Alaina. Wendy hadn't mentioned that their guardianship was legal- Kasey had assumed that it hadn't happened yet. One more thing that had happened without her knowing. Great.

"I don't know exactly what you want me to do," Kasey said, running a hand through her hair. "I don't want children, I never have. I'm too young to take care of a kid."

"We're not asking you to adopt, Miss Winslow, just consider making arrangements for Alaina. She has no other family, and we only have one week before she goes back into the foster system."

Kasey sat down on the couch and rubbed her face with her free hand. "I'll look into it," she said finally. 

"We'll be in touch, Miss Winslow. If you cannot find a location for Alaina Reese, we will put her back into the foster system," the representative said. Then they hung up.

Kasey sighed. She had no idea who she was going to ask to take guardianship of Alaina. As much as she wanted to keep Alaina out of the foster system, Kasey knew that there was no way that she'd be adopting Alaina. 

She really didn't know that many people who we ready for kids, let alone wanted them. Most of her friends were in the Hamilton cast, and they loved their freedom. Most of them were content with being independent. 

Kasey: Lin, this may seem weird, but would you ever consider having another kid?

Lin: Why?

Kasey: My foster parents adopted a girl named Alaina Reese before they died. The British Embassy says that she'll go into the foster care system if I don't find anyone who's willing to take her in, and I don't feel like I am responsible or able to be an adequate guardian.

Lin: Vanessa and I have been talking about it... but that's a huge change for us and for the girl. I'm not sure if it would be reasonable.

Kasey: Or if you have any responsible adults that you know want to adopt. I don't want to push this on you, but I really don't want her to go through what I went through. You don't have to adopt, just foster her for a while, until something more permanent comes up.

Lin: I'll speak to Vanessa, and I'll call or text you when we have a little better of an idea of what we want.

Kasey: Thank you, Lin. I know that this is probably a lot to take in, and it's a very short notice.

~~~~~~

Kasey was unbelievably stressed out. The Alaina situation, along with the holidays, and her citizenship test... it was a lot. On top of performing, Kasey found herself going a little crazy. 

She was studying between shows and at the loft. Carleigh would quiz her when they both had time- often during show's she'd walk past Kasey and ask her a question or two before dashing back onstage.

Lin had told her that he and Vanessa would consider fostering Alaina until permanent arrangements could be made- but he asked Kasey to make sure of all the details.

Kasey wasn't sure what she was going to do for the holidays. It was bound to be rough no matter what- and she didn't really want to ask Carleigh if she could celebrate with her. She felt as though she'd imposed enough on her friend. 

"Earth to Kasey," Carleigh's voice said, breaking Kasey out of her thoughts. "My mom wants to know if you're coming over for Christmas."

Kasey blinked. "I wasn't sure if you really wanted me there, since it's a family thing, and you probably have your own stuff going on..."

"Of course we want you at our house," Carleigh interrupted. "My mom loves you, and we both know that you can't just fly to London. I want you there. Really. And she didn't really ask, she just said 'Kasey's coming over for Christmas.'"

"But your family-"

"My sister is coming over. That's it. And she wants to meet you. You wouldn't be an issue at all, I promise," Carleigh said. "We're your family now. We're going to take care of you. Don't worry about it."

And that made Kasey's heart break a little bit.