Chapter 31

Four days later, Carleigh had returned from her mother's house and they had already completed their final rehearsal before resuming the shows.

Pippa had called out, and Carleigh was going on as Eliza. Kasey was thrilled for her best friend. 

They were in the dressing room getting ready for the show. Kasey had already done her customary ensemble hair. Sometimes Carleigh insisted on curling Kasey's hair, but they hadn't done it in a while.

"So, your test is coming up soon," Carleigh commented as she carefully constructed her Eliza hair. "How do you feel?"

"Honestly, like my brain is going to explode with American history," Kasey laughed. "I don't really want to tell anyone because I want to surprise as many people as possible."

"Would you like it if you could become a citizen after a show, like onstage?" Carleigh asked curiously.

"That would be so amazing, to share that experience with everyone, but I doubt that they would let me, and I would be scared that the audience would hate me," Kasey admitted. 

"I think they would be so excited," Carleigh protested. "But you would be comfortable with doing that in front of everyone?"

"It would be so cool, and Hamilton means a lot to me. It's partly why I want to become a citizen, and doing it in the Richard Rodgers would mean something to the people who hate the show," Kasey said thoughtfully. 

"That would be really cool. And then you could surprise everyone in the cast, too!" Carleigh said excitedly. 

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Carleigh," Kasey told her. "I haven't even passed the test yet."

"You're going to. You're so smart, and you went to Julliard, for heaven's sake."

"Let's talk about you, and your debut as Eliza on Broadway!" Kasey exclaimed. "Aren't you excited? You get to sing 'Helpless' and 'That Would Be Enough' and you get to be pregnant, and you get to act with Anthony, and you have to kiss Lin, and you have to scream, and it's all so exciting!"

"When you say it like that it makes Eliza sound like a really sketchy role," Carleigh teased. 

"I can't help it!" Kasey laughed.

Kasey got a text from Jace.

Jace: congrats on the grammy nomination! i knew you guys would get it!

Kasey: thanks! we're super stoked. even if we don't get it, it's still really, really cool. i never thought i would be part of a grammy nominated cast.

Jace: well, i have to get into costume, but have fun onstage tonight!

Kasey: i will! Carleigh's making her eliza debut and i'm so happy!

Kasey turned her phone off and then put on her boots. When the second act came around, she didn't have to wear her other character shoes, so she always wore funny socks. The audience never knew about it, but it was her fun secret.

"Everyone decent?" Lin asked, knocking on the door.

"Yeah, we're good," Ariana called back. Lin opened the door with a video camera in his hand. 

"I hear that it's Carleigh's Elizabeth Schuyler debut," he said, grinning. 

"It is!" Betsy exclaimed. "She's going to slay and we're all so excited. We've dubbed her as Carliza." 

"And how are you all doing?" Lin asked.

"Refreshed," Kasey said. They all laughed. "Being able to eat food and do nothing for two weeks was actually quite relaxing, but I felt like I should actually be productive instead of sitting around, so I made like ten dozen cupcakes this past week."

"I can confirm," Carleigh said, rolling her eyes. "We eat like three cupcakes a day. We should bring in some tomorrow."

"That would be fantastic! Now, who wants to be on this week's Ham4Ham?" Lin asked. 

"You should do Daveed versus Kasey on Cabinet Battles," Ariana said instantly. Kasey whipped her head around.

"Why did that come out of your mouth so quickly?" she demanded. "It's like you've been planning this for weeks!"

"I have," Ariana laughed. Megan just rolled her eyes. 

"There's no way she could pull off the rapping in it," Megan muttered under her breath, just loud enough for Kasey to hear, but softly enough that Lin didn't. 

Kasey didn't say anything. There was no point anymore. She wasn't going to waste her time with Megan's insults. 

"Alright! Kasey, in two day's time, you shall be going against Daveed on Cabinet Battle #1, and then whoever wins an audience vote will get to pick the song that the other person will have do sing. Just so you're aware, Daveed has already picked 'What'd I Miss' for you."

"Well, if Daveed wants me to do 'What'd I Miss', then if I win, then Daveed is singing 'Helpless,'" Kasey countered. 

Carleigh snorted. "This is why we're roommates," she giggled. "You're so precious."

"I'm not precious," Kasey protested.

"Fine, you're a small bean that I just want to keep to myself and have forever," Carleigh said, hugging Kasey.

"Alright, I can live with that."

Then the announcements came on. "Places in five."

"We'd better go," Carleigh said, standing up. She waited for Kasey at the door before they both walked to the stage for 'Alexander Hamilton'.