Chapter 26

It was getting closer to Thanksgiving break. The Hamilton cast would be taking a two-week break, but not just because of Thanksgiving.

They would also be getting ready for their preliminary court sessions. Four members of the cast had been called to the stand: Lin, Pippa, Javier, and Alysha. The rest of the cast was attending for moral support. Some of them couldn't make it because of family commitments.

Kasey, since the few relatives she had were in the UK, was one of the few ensemblists who was going, along with Thayne.

It was unusual for a Broadway show to be dark for two weeks straight, but at the same time, the Hamilton producers made sure to announce that the closing would not be permanent. The fans seemed supportive, but Kasey knew that some were unhappy, too. Hamilton had already been closed for a month following the shooting.

Lin seemed to think that the court case would end up being taken to a higher court- perhaps even a national court. Definitely not the Supreme Court, but the Richard Rodgers shooting was a big deal.

On top of that, Kasey had also gotten a letter in the mail that she'd been approved to take the US citizenship test in January. That made her nervous. She would have to begin studying her US history, and she was afraid that her priorities would shift from the show to gaining citizenship test. And there was no way that she would be able to keep her plans for dual citizenship away from Carleigh for much longer.

Carleigh had invited her to her family's house for Thanksgiving, knowing that Kasey wasn't able to fly out of the US for the holiday. Kasey was relieved- she hadn't wanted to be alone in the loft for weeks on end. Kasey had accepted.

They'd just wrapped up the final show before Thanksgiving break, and everyone was saying their final goodbyes. There were many 'good lucks' too, because of the cast members that would be involved in the preliminary court trial.

Kasey hugged Renee and Jazzy goodbye.

"Have an amazing Thanksgiving break!" she exclaimed.

"You too, Kasey," Jazzy said. "I'm going to try and make it back here by the 7th so I can be with you guys in court, but I might not be able to book a flight from Colorado over here in enough time."

Jazzy was going with her parents and Anthony and his family to Colorado, to go skiing. Kasey was somewhat jealous. She loved snow, and she loved winter, and she loved the mountains. She'd never been to Colorado.

"Want to head home?" Carleigh asked. Kasey nodded, grabbing her stuff and heading out the door. It was a cool November day, and not many fans had stayed at the stage door. "We have to start going to my mom's house in about two hours."

"Alright, sounds good. I just have to finish packing my clothes and then we can leave whenever you want," Kasey said.

They walked briskly back to their loft. Kasey quickly shoved her remaining sweatshirts and leggings into her bag for the week, gathering up her toothbrush, toothpaste, and soap as well.

~~~~

They arrived at Carleigh's mom's house two hours later.

"I missed you, Carleigh!" Patricia exclaimed as soon as Carleigh walked in the door. She turned to Kasey after smothering her daughter in kisses. "And darling Kasey Winslow. I have also missed you. I don't think I saw you since I watched both of you perform at the Public Theatre."

"Has it really been that long?" Kasey laughed.

"I think so. You've gotten so beautiful!" Patricia gushed. "Both of you are so grown up. I cannot believe that you're both on Broadway!"

"Trust me, I can't either," Carleigh said, hugging her mother. "But come on in! Carleigh, I have your room set up for you, and Kasey, the guest room is also set up for you. You can put your stuff there and then join me downstairs."

Kasey grabbed her duffel bag and quickly took it upstairs. She'd been to the house once before, to talk about renting the loft with Carleigh, so she knew vaguely where everything was. She set her stuff on the bed in the guest room before heading back downstairs.

Patricia had already laid out dinner, which was mac and cheese, with salad and milk. When Carleigh came downstairs, they all sat down around the table.

"So, how have you both been? Anything new, other than what happened in September?" Patricia asked. Kasey had been wondering why Carleigh's mom hadn't brought up the shooting before. She seemed calm.

"Not really," Carleigh said. "We've just been gearing up to the court date and just preparing for awards season."

"Do you expect to be nominated?" Patricia asked.

"I think it's highly possible. For best book, most likely. Lin is a genius," Carleigh said. "I'm not sure about technical design, and we haven't really gotten around to looking at the other newer shows."

"What about you, Kasey?" Patricia asked. "Anything new?"

"Actually," Kasey said, clearing her throat. "I was meaning to tell you something, Carleigh, and now seems like a pretty good time."