XXV- Struggles

24 Years Later

Draco Malfoy sat in a tavern, The Leaky Cauldron, with a woman his age, who was trying to console him. He had recently been suffering more from his past. And he couldn't bear to worry his wife. Although it was really too late. Although she hid it well, his wife was suffering as well. But why he hardly had a clue, as usual. He felt like nothing compared to her. She was.... heroic. She was strong, and intelligent. She was beautiful. And he was.... him. Pathetic. Stupid. Cowardly. Weak. Immoral. Just as he thought about her, she had sent him a selfie, which had slightly amused him. She and Hermione Granger-Weasley were apparently having a quick chat, and had spontaneously decided to take a selfie.
"Why can't I get it right? Why can't I be happy with her? I'm already married to her for f*ck's sake!" he cried, confused.
The young lady with him sighed. "Draco, you just feel guilty about something, and you need to find closure, and peace. You know what you had to do wasn't your fault. It was what was necessary," Astoria tried to explain.
"But it just so happened to be me joining the Dark Side, standing beside Voldemort," Draco slurred bitterly. "And hugging him."
Astoria Greengrass stifled a laugh. "Draco, that was necessary, and you were one of the most qualified people to join. Think about it, who else would Voldemort allow to become so close to him?" Astoria asked.
"Fair point," Draco sighed.
"Draco," Astoria murmured. "Go home. Now, to your wife, and your son, before she gets upset," she suggested.
Draco sighed. "Great idea. Thanks, Astoria, you've been a fantastic friend. I'll do that. And not only am I going to go home to my wife, I'm going to apologize, for the way I've been acting. I haven't been very much fun at all," he declared drunkenly.
Astoria smiled, attempting to hide her amusement. "Good for you."

Draco, with a triumphant nod, sloppily threw some money onto the counter, stumbled out of the door, and Apparated back to Malfoy Manor, where his wife may or may not have been waiting for him. Was she still working? Who knows? The Ministry's hours are unpredictable. She may be home just after lunch one day, and just before breakfast on another.
As Draco Malfoy arrived back at home, he couldn't help but call out,"Natalia?!"

No reply. Draco felt extremely disappointed. Where was she? Work, hopefully. Where's Scorpius? And what about Mum?
"Scorpius? Mum?" Draco called out exhaustedly.
"In the kitchen, darling," Narcissa's smooth voice called out.

Draco walked more calmly to the kitchen. His mother and his son were enjoying a nice dinner.
"That smells great, Mum," Draco sniffed.
"The roast beef. Your favorite, I remember," Narcissa smiled.
Draco's eyes filled with tears. "I love you, Mother," he practically drooled.
Narcissa smiled. "I love you too, my beautiful boy." Then she stared at him, bewildered. "Sweetheart. What is it?"
Draco sighed, getting himself a plate. "I need to apologize to Natalia. I've been feeling pretty guilty for, you know, joining Voldemort in the war, but I'm over it now."
"Good," Narcissa smiled. "Natalia called, she said she'd be running a bit late. She should be back around ten."
"This is going to be a long two hours."
"One and a half, dear," Narcissa corrected.
"Who cares? It'll still feel the same," Draco muttered as he ate pitifully.
Narcissa frowned sadly, trying to change the subject. "You know, I never thought I'd get a Muggle cell phone. Interesting things they are."
"Hmmm," Draco laughed.
"Dad? Can I ask you something?" Scorpius asked hesitantly.
"Of course, son," Draco smiled.
"Why does Mum look so sad sometimes?" the eleven year old boy asked.
"I don't know, Scorpius. Your mother definitely has many reasons to feel sad," he explained. "She'll tell you about it when she's ready."
Scorpius smiled weakly.
"You're father's right," Narcissa nodded. "But don't worry, Scorpius. We'll all get through our struggles. Together."

The Ministry of Magic, Head of the Aurors' Office

Natalia sat on top of her desk, filling out paperwork, which she found tedious. She stood to stretch her legs and take a break. She took a look at herself in the full length mirror.