VIII- Compassion or Guilt

It was almost Halloween now. Diana had been at Hogwarts for almost two months now. And it turns out, Harry wasn't in trouble for the Remembrall incident. He was rewarded as the youngest Seeker in Hogwarts Quidditch in over a century. A hell of a disciplinary system this school had. Diana was certainly excited for Halloween. She and her other Slytherin friends, Draco,Blaise,Pansy,Crabbe, and Goyle gathered in line to head to the Great Hall for the Halloween feast. She took her seat at the table between Pansy and Draco. Professor Dumbledore made his brief speech, and the food magically appeared as usual. Diana gathered a plate of tritip and mashed potatoes. It was delicious. And afterward, Diana decided upon having one of the guava pastries in the middle of the table that she'd loved. She didn't know how the kitchen knew that. But she was glad. She had also convinced Draco and Pansy to try one.
  "This is good," Pansy admitted.
  "Just the right amount of sweet," Draco nodded.
  "Glad you think so," Diana smiled.

Then, suddenly, the stuttering the idiot Professor Quirrel(Where was he?) burst into the Great Hall.
  "Troll! Troll in the dungeons!" he yelled, before fainting.

Then, all hell broke loose. Even Draco screamed, perhaps for effect. Diana smacked him.
  "Pull yourself together," she sighed.
  "SILENCE!" Professor Dumbledore boomed.

Damn. That was loud. Everyone stopped, and he instructed the prefects to lead everyone back to their dorms.
"Let's go," Diana said as the prefect led them back to the Slytherin dungeons.

As they walked, they passed the Gryffindors. Apparently Hermione was still in the girls' lavatory. Harry and Ron Weasley both took off, and so did Diana.
  "What are you doing?" Malfoy asked.
  "Hermione Granger's still in the girls' bathroom," Diana replied.
  "What? Why do you care?" Draco asked.
  Diana sighed. "That's where the troll's headed. And my job is to protect people," Diana argued.
  Draco Malfoy sighed. "I'm coming with you," he insisted.
  "Alright, let's go."

Draco and Diana followed the other two to the girls' bathroom. Being in their was very awkward for Draco. Potter and Weasley must feel right at home, he thought. Oh, those two have already done a great job, Diana thought. Granger was under a sink screaming,Harry was being held by the feet, dangling in the air, and Weasley was confused and had lost his wand. Diana felt her battle instincts taking over.
  "Draco, you make sure Granger and Weasley stay where they are, and get Harry down somewhat safely. Use the spell "Accio" to summon him, and use "Arresto Momentum" to stop his fall. I'll deal with our little pal here," Diana announced, whipping out her wand
  "Diana, your eyes are glowing," Draco realized.
  Diana blinked in confusion. "Let's worry about it later."
  "Draco nodded, somewhat afraid. He kept his eye on Harry. "Accio!" he yelled.
  Harry came speeding toward Draco.
"Arresto Momentum!" Draco tried. It worked.

Meanwhile Diana was going against the troll. It swung its club at her and missed.
"Brachiabindo!" Diana yelled, and the troll's limbs stiffened like a board.

It began to fall.
"Arresto Momentum!" Diana yelled, and it was propped up. She had to keep her wand up and focus with all of her concentration to keep it up. "Go! I'll be fine!" she called to everyone else, despite the strain in her voice.

Draco nodded in panic and led Hermione,Ron, and Harry to the doorway. Diana moved out of the way herself and let the troll drop, unconscious.
"Fulgari!" Diana yelled, and silver cords appeared, tying the trolls hands and feet.

At that moment, three teachers appeared in the restroom. Professor McGonagal,Professor Snape, and Professor Quirrell.
  "W-w- Explain yourselves!" Professor McGonagal shrieked.
  "Well-" Ron Weasley began.
  "It was me, Professor," Hermione Granger interrupted suddenly. "I went looking for the troll. I read about them. Thought I could handle this one, but I was wrong. If it wasn't for Harry,Ron.... and Diana and Malfoy.... I'd probably be dead," Granger announced.

Harry and Ron seemed shocked. Diana and Draco figured some of it must've been a lie.
  "You're very lucky, all of you. Not many first years go to take on a fully-grown mountain troll and live to tell the tale! Five points...."

Everyone began to get nervous.
  "....will be awarded to each of you. For sheer dumb luck," McGonagal announced scornfully.

She and Professor Quirrel left, probably to find someone to dispose of the troll. Harry,Hermione, and Ron followed. Professor Snape remained.
  "What is it that really happened? How did this troll come to be unconscious?" he asked. "I know for a fact that this troll did not enter these grounds with silver cords around his ankles and wrists."
  "It was Diana," Draco explained before Diana could. He noticed that her eyes had lost their bright blue glow. "She used the body-binding curse,the restraining charm, and taught me the air suspension spell," he added.

Snape raised an eyebrow.
  "It's true, Professor," Diana nodded quietly.
  "Oh, I don't doubt it, Miss Black. Mr. Malfoy, ten points for your honesty and obedience toward both myself and Miss Black. And you, Miss Black," Snape began, "Fifty points for your resourcefulness and courageous initiative," he announced.
  "Thank you, sir," they both replied.
  "Don't thank me. Thank yourselves for your cleverness. Of you go."

And with that, Diana wondered about her actions that night. Saving Hermione,Harry, and Ron. Had she acted out of compassion, or guilt?