II- The Sorting

As they grew closer to the school, everyone began to get more and more excited. Danielle left the compartment to change into her school robes. They were surprisingly comfortable. As they hopped off of the train and onto the boats with Hagrid, everyone gaped at the marvelous and majestic castle. They walked in and were greeted by an almost austere woman named Professor McGonagal. Although stoic, she seemed like a good teacher. Danielle always got along with teachers like that. As they waited for her to return, unattended, Danielle watched, interested, as Harry and Draco clashed again. She found their rivalry amusing. But not as amusing as when Professor McGonagal turned out to be just behind Draco. Good memories. They filed into the Great Hall  where the Sorting was, in front of the entire school. Draco and the others, Crabbe,Goyle,Blaise, and Pansy, told Danielle about the Sorting process. It was simple enough. The names rolled by quickly.
  "Crabbe,Vincent!" the woman called.
  "Slytherin!" 

Of course. A minute or so later....
  "Goyle, Gregory!"
  "Slytherin!"

Wow. So difficult to guess.
  "Malfoy, Draco!"
  "Slytherin!"

Well, what else would it be? And then....
  "Potter,Danielle!"

Danielle's name of course brought on some whispers, but definitely not as much as Harry's would. Danielle stepped up boldly and sat on the stool. The hat said nothing yet.
"Very interesting," it purred. "Yes. Where to start.... Brave,bold,intense,intelligent,clever, ingenious,secretive,ambitious.... Gryffindor,Ravenclaw.... or Slytherin?"

Harry gasped lightly. Danielle winked to tease him.
  "Better be.... SLYTHERIN!" the hat almost roared.

The Slytherin table exploded with cheers. Harry and his new friends were shocked. Danielle stepped down proudly to rejoin hers. They all gave her slaps on the hand and back of approval and pride.
  "Potter,Harry!"

Just as Danielle had predicted. More whispers. Harry's process was long as well, but Danielle didn't bother listening.
  "GRYFFINDOR!"

Then the Gryffindors got loud. Danielle rolled her eyes. Draco, who was sitting to her left, noticed. He felt sorry for this girl, who spent her whole life, literally her whole life, in Harry's shadow. It didn't matter why. Whether it was because he was the first child Lily and James Potter had,or because he was their true blood, or because he was the one with the visible scar after VOLDEMORT attacked. Danielle had a scar, too. It was on the left side of her stomach. It was long and jagged, yet beautiful. It wasn't in the shaped of a lightning bolt or anything, it was just beautiful. It showed Danielle's strength.
  "Zabini,Blaise!"
  "Slytherin!"
  "Don't worry, Danielle. I promise you, you are much more intelligent and bold than your brother," Draco assured her quietly.
  Danielle sighed. "You're right. But I just don't want my head to swell."
  "And I don't want anyone knowing how nice I am, so keep this quiet," Draco commanded, his blue eyes flashing with intensity.

Danielle chuckled. Maybe she did belong somewhere after all. With people with ambition and cunning. Not foolish self-righteousness.