4. audition

Hoseok was racing on his bike through the streets. Why? Because there were only five more minutes left until he needed to be INSIDE the Big Hit entertainment building, being READY to perform.

He couldn't get out his last class early enough to leave on time.
Hoseok checked his watch, it read 14:27.
Three more minutes left, he thought, one block and probably a couple of stairs away.

As soon as the passionate dancer was in front of the building he ran inside, one minute left before he needed to perform.

"Hi I'm Jung Hoseok," he said when he reached a counter with a woman behind it, still trying to catch his breath, "I'm here to audition."
The woman looked up and checked the time. "You're late. Third door from the left" was all she said as she pointed into a hallway. Hoseok nodded thankfully and walked through the hallway.

First door, second door... third door.
Although his mouth felt dry, he swallowed nervously.
He knocked twice and carefually opened the door, "Hi I'm Jung Hoseok, I'm here for the audition."
He looked into the room, it was a fairly big practise room with a wooden floor and a big mirror that covered one of the four walls.
He also noticed that Yoongi was sitting behind a table next to an older man. There was also a  man quietly sitting in the back with a camera set up, he was probably going to record his audition.
"You're late young man, you may leave already." the older man said.
Hoseok felt his heart sink, and just before the tears could form in his eyes Yoongi spoke up, "Give him a chance, what if he is really good? You'll miss out on something great."
"But what if he isn't." was the reply.
Hoseok just stood there, not knowing if he should do or say something.
Yoongi smiled, "But what if he is"
The man rolled his eyes, and turned back to Hoseok "Alright then. At his request, BUT you must not look at the mirror at any time. That will be your penalty because you were late."

Hoseok quickly blinked the tears away and nodded thankfully.
"Did you bring your own music?"
Hoseok nodded again and gave them a cd that he brought.
"Number 6 please."

Yoongi put the cd in the cd-player and skipped to the sixth song.
"Ready?" He asked, to which Hoseok nodded. The older boy clicked on play and the music started to play.

Hoseok stood in the middle of the practise room, waiting for two seconds until he began with his self made choreography.
Those two seconds were the longest seconds of his life, he could feel his heart beat, his palms covered in more sweat than usual and the three people in the room glaring at him.

One. Two.
And at three, he started to dance. Moving along to the music, and for a second he forgot the people, he forgot his sweaty palms and for just that second he forgot how nervous he was.
That second was enough to make it through the song.
Don't think, just focus and dance.
So that is what he did, doing what he loved the most: expressing his feelings through dance.

When the music stopped and Hoseok nailed his final move, he landed back on earth, suddenly being aware again of the people glaring at him.

Yoongi got the cd out of the cd player for Hoseok and gave him a thumbs up.
"You may leave now" the still nameless man next to Yoongi said, and started scribbling things down.
"We'll call you for the results, you can leave your phone number at the counter that you probably saw on your way in."

Hoseok nodded. But quickly before he left he said, "I made the choreography myself by the way." and then he closed the door, not sure what to think. When the door was closed he leaned against the wall and let himself slide down against it.
He was now sitting with his back against the wall, slowly progressing what just happened.

"No, he is not going to become a background dancer." Hoseok heard the man, who was still in the practise room, say.

Hoseok's heart sank and he stood up, running out of the building. Tears were streaming down his cheeks, he did the best he could and he still wasn't good enough.
I wish I had gone to school instead of this.
He grabbed his bike and cycled home as fast as he could.

When he was home he ran up to his room and slammed the door shut behind him. Hoseok let himself fall on his bed, he cried and screamed into his pillow, how could this be possible.
He had never performed better than he did there.
Stupid Big Hit. Stupid man. Stupid Yoongi. Stupid dreams. Maybe I am actually that bad... I should just give up already.