“Lars, the pleasure is mine.” They shared a brief, but friendly hug. Emelda was about to walk off when Lars drew her attention back to him.

“Emelda, this is my daughter and heir to my throne. Nixie, meet Shayden’s grandmother.” Shade’s eyes widened when she finally noticed Nixie and her mouth dropped open. Emelda’s eyes glimmered but a slight crease formed in her forehead when she realized he’d placed specific emphasis on the fact that she was Shayden’s grandmother.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, I am glad that Lars has an heir of his own blood to continue the royal line, would have been a shame to see someone else leading the Water Kingdom.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Queen Emelda.”

“You know my granddaughter Shayden?” Nixie sucked in a breath. She wasn’t sure whether Shayden would want her family to know about her yet, but she could not lie.

“Yes, I do. She’s, that is, I’m her mate.” Nixie heard the intake of breath, Lars moved closer to his daughter, and Shade’s eyes opened as wide as saucepans. Emelda let out the breath she’d taken in on a sharp exhale.

“You and Shayden are mates?” Nixie nodded and saw Shade shake her head out of the corner of her eye.

“You slept with her, Nix, seriously?” Nixie was about to deny it but she felt her father’s hand squeeze hers and recalled his words. If she did not lie and say that she and Shayden had mated then the Buntings would be making wedding plans at this very moment.

“Yes I did.” A deep blush coloured her cheeks and she stared into Shade’s eyes.

“Sade Lorks, you know the Water Kingdom’s princess as well?” Shade frowned at the use of her real name but nodded.

“We go to school together on Blue Plain Two, Grandmother.” Emelda nodded.

“I see, well, Lars,” Emelda turned a bright smile to Lars and clapped her hands together; “It seems that our thrones should be moved so that they are beside yours as our houses are now joined.” Lars’ smile did not reach his eyes but nevertheless he called for helpers to relocate the thrones from the Wingdom Dais onto the Water Kingdom dais.

“What is the meaning of this, Lars?” King Avner lifted off his throne and stalked towards the Water Kingdom dais with a fury. The Water and Light Kingdom had always been very close and thus Avner took it as an insult that Emelda’s house be placed in a position of higher honour.

“Avner, my friend, I will explain shortly, please do not take this as an insult.” Lars winked towards Avner and then to Queen Raya who was shaking her head. Alona was staring at the floor as if compelling it to open up and swallow her whole.

“Indeed, my friend. Please explain.” Lars waited for everyone to settle down and then he waved Nixie to his side.

“People of all kingdoms, I greet you and welcome you to this historical event. Today I introduce to you the true heir to my throne, Nixie Erikson Finn Whave.” An applause broke out and Nixie smiled warmly at all of them. “I know you are wondering why I have not introduced her to court before, why none of you knew of her existence, and I give you the answer now. Nixie is half water sprite and half human, I had to know that she had magical qualities before I could bring her into our world, as you will all agree.” An agreeing mumble was heard and many heads nodded in approval.

“Further, I would like to announce that Nixie is to be wed to her mate, Shayden Marrick of Wingdom.” Silence greeted this statement and Nixie became worried that Lady Elisabeth was right and the people would revolt, that everyone would cast him down from his throne to avoid the merger. “Now I know that many, many years ago I agreed that my house and the Bunting house would join in matrimony, but for exceptional circumstances, and I believe that Nixie having a mate would be considered an exceptional circumstance. I therefore regret that my oath to them is void.” The people who had been so concerned when hearing of her betrothal to Shayden let out audible sighs of relief and Nixie’s eyes widened. Clearly she wasn’t the only one who wouldn’t want to see what Elisabeth would have done as mother to the King of the Water Kingdom.