Just a Little Favor

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," I mumbled against Jay's chest as I hugged him back.  All too soon we were stepping away from each other.

"So," Jay started hesitantly, "thank you for helping me out."

"Oh, right."  I looked down, feeling my cheeks warm as I came back to reality and my bravery from before slipped away.  "Don't worry about it, it was nothing."

"No, it wasn't."  I looked back up to him and saw sincerity on his face.  "I want to make it up to you.  Would you ever be free for dinner sometime?"

"Yeah," I grinned, feeling butterflies flutter in my stomach.  "When did you have in mind?"

"What are you doing right now?" Jay's face held a small smirk that only tilted one side of his mouth up. 

"I'm just shopping for baby shower gifts for my sister in law but I can do that later," I spoke hoping I didn't sound too eager.

"Well how many did you need to find?  We can do that before we go."

"I need to just pick like ten little candles and then I'll be good."

"Alright let's do it then.  What scent do you want?" he asked, turning to the shelves we had been standing by. 

"Well, they'll probably all want a different scent, so let's just find some good ones and get a couple of each." I began browsing the labels of all the candles.

"Peaceful waters?" Jay asked pulling a candle off the shelf.  "Is it ocean water?  Lake water?  They all smell different.  How do I know which one it is based off of?" Jay joked with fake dramatics.  I laughed and pulled the lid off for him.

"Why don't you smell it and tell me."  Jay took my hand and lifted it to his nose taking a sniff of the candle before grimacing.

"Definitely dirty dish water.  Ugh, that was horrible." Jay put it back on the shelf, stepping slightly closer to me to see the ones I was looking at.  I felt my face warm up as his arm brushed against mine.

Pull yourself together, Madison!  Its game time!

"Usually you can't go wrong with dessert or fruity scents.  A good go to is anything the color red but purples are usually alright." I gave him a couple more tips on candle picking and he picked out a couple that seemed to look like safe options and soon we had picked out the ten candles.

"Candle shopping is a lot more difficult than I expected," Jay laughed as we carried the bags out to my car. 

"I'm sorry," I grimaced slightly and pulled my keys out of my pocket. 

"Don't apologize!  It was still fun I just didn't expect it to be so difficult.  Candles don't always smell as good as they look."  Jay's nose scrunched up adorably at the memory of his lesser favorite scents.

"So where did you want to eat?" I asked as I set my bags in the back of my car.

"There's this sweet pancake place on 10th. Would that be alright with you?" He asked.

"Totally! Do you want to meet there or....?" I trailed off.

"Well I could give you a ride if you'd like? I drive a motorcycle though so if you're not cool with that then we can totally just meet there."

"You drive a motorcycle?" he nodded. "Then we're definitely taking your motorcycle." I shut and locked my car before turning to him.

"Wait, are you being serious?  All of the other girls I've dated hated it because it ruined their hair."

"So we're dating now?" I joked with him, fangirling internally when he blushed and gave me a sideways smile.

"I wouldn't mind," he drawled, taking my hand before walking towards his motorcycle. My stomach fluttered as I followed him, his hand squeezing mine before dropping it when we reached his motorcycle. He stood at the back tire, taking the two helmets he had out from the net that held them.