Chapter 34

Sincere

I laid Victoria down in Effrin's old room and kissed her cheek. I had finally got her to sleep and was exhausted since she hasn't slept all day, which was surprising. I guess all of the excitement of people holding her and playing with her kept her up because usually she slept a lot during the day, so hopefully she sleeps all night, which I doubt.

I walked back downstairs to the rest of Effrin's family who still hadn't left yet. Of course his Mama and Lester were still there but so was Mrs. Valerie, Miss. Laurie, Essence and Dre. When I walked back downstairs they were all around the TV watching some movie. "See, I had Lester on a 90 day rule and he stayed," Ms. Gloria said.

I scrunched up my face. "We don't need to hear about you getting yo groove on Mama," I said, sitting down next to Dre.

She waved me off as she talked to Miss. Laurie and Mrs. Valerie, who were all commenting on the movie. "I'm about to go outside to smoke, you coming?" Dre asked, standing up.

I nodded my head and followed him outside to the front porch. I sat down next to him as he lit the blunt that he pulled out of his pants pockets. He took a puff and passed it to me. I took a puff and let the smoke fill my body, immediately relaxing me. Dre chuckled and took the blunt from me. "What's so funny?" I asked him.

"You. What'chu know about this?" he asked, taking another puff of the blunt. He blew the smoke out of his mouth and passed it to me again.

I shrugged my shoulders. "You know, I get around and try new shit."

He nodded his head and watched as I took another puff of the blunt. I handed it to him and once he took his puff he tried handing it back to me but I declined. "What? You can't hang no more?" he laughed.

I shook my head and rubbing my hands against the goosebumps that were beginning to form on my arms. "Nah I'm not trying to get high tonight. Mama would kill me and you if we come back in there high."

"Yeah you right but one blunt ain't gonna get me high," he replied, continuing to smoke. He looked over at me. "You cold?"

I slightly smiled and shook my head, no, even though I was. "I'm fine, really," I said, but he payed me no mind.

He took off his hoodie and handed it to me. "I know you're cold ma."

I smiled and pulled his hoodie over my head.

"Thanks," I mumbled, being able to smell his lingering cologne on the hoodie.

"It's no problem," he said, scooting back.

He sat with his back against the house, just like me and put his hand on my thigh. I blushed and scooted away from him some. "What are you doing, Dre?" I asked as he scooted closer to me.

He bit his lip and grinned. "Nothing ma." He leaned over like he was about to kiss me but I backed up. "What?" he asked.

"I hope you know I don't kiss on the first night. I just met you boy."

He smiled and shook his head. "A'ight, I can accept that but how long is it gonna take for you to let me kiss you?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know but not tonight. When ever it happens then it'll happen Dre."

"A'ight, I like that," he replied, sitting back against the house continuing to smoke the blunt.

I looked over at his lips and the way they curled around the blunt every time he inhaled. Shit. What was I talking about? I wanted to kiss him tonight, tomorrow and any other day. "But we can do something else," I spoke up.