Chapter 5

Sincere

I searched through the covers for my ringing phone that seemed to be buried some where in the covers.

"What are you looking for?" Quan asked in his sexy voice. He was half sleep and it was five in the morning.

"My phone." He turned over and revealed my phone that he was laying on top of. He handed it to me, slightly smiling. "I thought I felt something vibrating on me," he mumbled as he scooted back under the covers.

I smacked my lips and looked at all of the messages and calls that I had from Effrin. Why does he have the audacity to blow up my phone after my brother knocked him out a few nights ago? I sighed and didn't bother reading all of the messages. I put my phone on silent, laid it on the night stand and scooted back under the covers with Quan, who wrapped his arms around me. I feel perfect with Quan, why couldn't Effrin just believe me when I said I liked where my life was at now? I didn't need Effrin nor did I need to be in a relationship with him anymore. I was perfectly fine with Quan.

The next evening, I leaned over Quan's shoulder and watched him type up his report he was writing for school, about the legendary Auguste Escoffier, a famous French cook and writer but I've never heard of him before.

"How come you don't have to write about Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray for school?" I asked him.

Quan was in culinary school and this was one of the first times I've actually seen him writing something. Usually he'd be in the kitchen cooking something or going into the classroom/ kitchen they practiced in, but never writing anything or doing any kind of research.

He looked back at me and laughed. "'Cause they aren't legends, they haven't done that much like some of the other people have," he replied, turning back to his computer.

"What about Paula Dean?" I asked, just to mess with him.

"Hell no," he responded, never even looking up at me.

"How come? She's pretty famous, she's got her own collection in Walmart now."

He laughed. "So? If I made something like her and put her name on it, it could be in Walmart too. She ain't that amazing Sin."

I laid back on the couch and rested my chin on his neck. "Okay what abo--"

He turned around and kissed me. "You talk too much, you know that right?"

I smiled. "I know."

"Look I'm gonna get going but I'll be back in a few hours. I see I can't finish this here with you," he said smiling.

I frowned. "I promise I won't say another word," I said as I stuck my pinky out. "I pinky promise."

He smacked his lips and shook my pinky. "A'ight, now no more talking. I got like five more pages to write on this guy then I'll make you something for dinner. How does that sound?"

"Perfect."

"A'ight now for real, no more talking," he said as he turned back to his computer screen when there was a knock on the door.

I quickly hopped up, already starting to get tired of not talking. I looked out of the peephole and saw a girl standing there smiling. Who is this bitch? I pulled open the door. "Hello? Can I help you?" I asked her.

"I just wanted to meet you, I'm your new neighbor. I'm Candace but you can just call me Candy," she said, sticking her hand out.

I shook her hand. "I'm Sincere, when did you move in? I didn't notice any moving trucks or any vacant homes around here."