Chapter 24

Sincere

I sighed and grabbed my ringing phone off of my dresser. I pressed answer, expecting it to be Effrin since he's been calling me every morning at four AM but the calls stopped about three weeks ago though. We'll end up talking about nothing and then fall asleep with each other on the phone. It was exhausting but at least I was getting a chance to hear his voice, since he can't come see me right now.

"You have a collect call from Effrin McDonald. If you accept the charges please press 2 now."

I rolled my eyes and pressed 2. What the hell has this nigga got himself into?

"They got me Sin! They got me!" Effrin yelled into the phone.

"What happened? Are you in jail?"

"Yeah the fucking police arrested my stupid ass."

I sighed. "For what?"

"Because I'm black, shit I don't know."

"Did you have anything on you?" I whispered.

"Yeah."

"How much?" I asked him.

"Not much."

"What about the plan though? We're just sup--"

"Man shut up," he whispered. "Look Jason should be by the house in a couple of hours to get you. Pack your shit and get ready to come down here so I can talk to you."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine I'm coming. This is bullshit Effrin and you know it," I said, hanging up.

~~~

"Look, I'll sit outside and wait on you. Just come out when you ready," Jason said, parking outside of the jail Effrin was in.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever," I mumbled, climbing out of his car.

I pulled my shirt down over my stomach and walked inside of the prison. After getting checked, I sat outside within a courtyard, waiting on Effrin to show up. The entire place was fenced in and I felt trapped just sitting here. The entire area was full of people visiting the men being held in this facility, while visiting hours still lasted. Effrin came from the back in handcuffs about 10 minutes later.

The security guard set him down and took off his handcuffs. The security guard bent down and whispered something in his ear. "Man whatever," Effrin mumbled, turning away from him. He grabbed my hand and smiled. "How you been gorgeous?"

I snatched my hand away. "Don't do that shit Effrin, why the hell are you here?"

"I told you on the phone why I was here," he replied.

I sighed. "How much did they catch on you?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "A couple of ounces, the judge gave me six fucking months here."

I folded my arms. "So, you already saw a judge? How long have you been in here?" I asked him. "For like a week."

"That's why you just stopped calling and texting me?"

"I called you this morning, didn't I?" he asked, smirking.

I rolled my eyes. "Man whatever, I don't need to be here if you're just going to make an ass out of yourself," I said, trying to get up but he stopped me.

"Sit your pregnant ass down, Sin. You ain't going nowhere and you know it."

I rolled my eyes and sat back down across from him. "So, what's up? What do you expect me to do when we got a baby coming in a month? Yo stupid ass ain't even gonna be there!" I yelled, pushing him.