Chapter 25

Sincere

"Hey," I said into the phone.

I could feel Effrin smiling on the other end. "Hey gorgeous. I haven't heard your voice in two weeks."

"You counted?" I asked, sitting down on my bed. I kicked off my shoes and laid back.

He chuckled. "Yeah. It's the only thing I can do up in here. You okay?"

I sighed. "Yeah. Things are just kind of crazy here at Mama's house. I mean, she's got Quincy back, me staying here and Monroe and Lynn popping up, spreading bad news but it's alright," I replied.

"I don't even know why you pay them any mind. You know they ain't shit compared to you. You're so much better than them."

I smiled and tapped my fingers against my phone, just wanting to hear him stroke my ego. "How?"

"Well look at you gorgeous. You got a bangin' ass body, with a beautiful ass face and personality to match and don't get me started about your cooking beautiful. You know how to treat a man when he's down and the sex is amazing. I bet their guys can't say nothing like that to them."

I smiled. "You're right."

"And you're gonna be the best mother in the world," he finally said.

"Thank you Effrin, you know, I really miss you baby."

"I miss you too but hopefully time will fly by. You got like a month left until you have Victoria and then you can come down and see me, a'ight?" he asked.

I nodded my head, as if he could see me. "Alright Effrin."

"Oh, um I'm sending Jason over in a few days to give you some money so you can buy some stuff for the baby and yourself gorgeous, okay?" he asked.

"Alright, thank you. I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome."

"Your phone privileges are over for the day!" I heard somebody yell in the background.

"Man I just got on the phone," Effrin replied.

"I don't give a damn, hang up the fucking phone inmate."

Effrin sighed. "I got to go Sincere since the bitch ass security guard decided to be on my ass today."

I frowned. "Okay, I love you."

He sighed. "Yeah, love you too," he mumbled, hanging up.

~~~

I sat on the couch in the living room, watching TV with Quincy, when Mama walked in, holding a phone in her hands. "What colors do you want for your baby shower?" she asked, standing in front of the television so she was our only focus.

"Huh?" I asked, confused.

I hadn't even planned a baby shower, let alone thought about having one. Right now, just wasn't the time. "I'm planning your baby shower and I'm on the phone with a planner, what colors?"

I looked over at Quincy but he was sitting back waiting on my answer. He wasn't getting me out of this one so I was going to have to let the old bitty plan my baby shower. I slightly smiled. "Um I don't know," I replied, not knowing why she was being so nice to me. She's barely said a thing to me for the past few days and now, all of a sudden, she wants to plan my baby shower. She's crazy.

She sighed. "C'mon just give me some colors off the top of your head or I'll have to choose," she whispered so the planner couldn't hear over the phone.