Ch. 4 Notes [Private Pilot]

Start from the beginning

- If you are landing at a controlled airport served by a VASI, regulations require that you maintain an altitude at or above the glide slope until a lower altitude is necessary for a safe landing.

- You will see white over white lights on the VASI if you are too high. Red over white indicates that you are on the glide path, and you are too low if the VASI shoes red over red.

- An above glide slope indication from a tricolor VASI is an amber light. If you see a green light, you are on glide path, and a red light indicates that you are too low. 

- A below glide path indication from a pulsating approach slope indicator is a pulsating red light.

- A slightly high glide slope indication from a PAPI is three white lights and one red light.

- Blue omnidirectional lights identify the edge of the taxiway at night.

- To operate pilot-controlled lighting, key your mike seven times on the specified frequency to turn all the lights on at maximum intensity. Key the mike five times for medium-intensity lighting and three times for the lowest intensity.

- You can locate a position on an aeronautical chart by knowing its coordinates of latitude and longitude.

- The terrain height is portrayed on sectional charts by contour lines and spot elevations.

- You should fly no lower than 2,000 ft. AGL over a special conservation area, such as a national park, or wildlife refuge.

- Tick marks extending from an airport symbol indicate that fuel is available and that the field is attended, at least during normal working hours. A star above the airport symbol indicates an airport beacon normally operates from sunset to sunrise.

- By referring to the airport data on sectional charts, you can determine what radio frequencies to use for communication at that airport. In addition, information such as longest runway length, airport lighting, and field elevation can be determined.

- A VORTAC navigational facility is depicted by a blue triangular symbol on aeronautical charts.

- A circle H located in the top right corner of a communication box indicates that the weather services HIWAS is transmitted over the navaid frequency. 

- The height of an obstruction is located next to the symbol and may be indicated by both an MSL and AGL altitude. By referring to terrain and obstruction heights, you can determine a safe cruising altitude.

- At times, a caution box may alert you to a specific hazard depicted on a sectional chart.

- Specific VFR weather minimums apply in Class G airspace below 1,200 ft. AGL, between 1,200 ft. AGL and 10,000 ft. MSL, and above 10,000 ft. MSL. The minimums which you must maintain in Class G airspace depend on whether you are operating during the day or at night.

- Class G airspace typically extends from the surface to 700 or 1,200 ft. AGL. In some areas, Class G may extend from the surface to 14,500 ft. MSL.

- An operable 4,096-code transponder with Mode C capability is required while operating within Class A airspace, Class B airspace, within 30 nautical miles of Class B primary airports, and Class C airspace.

- Class E airspace segments include Federal, or Victor, airways which usually extend to 4 nautical miles on each side of the airway centerline and, unless otherwise indicated, extend from 1,200 ft. AGL up to, but not including, 18,000 ft. MSL.

- Class E airspace consists of several different segments. The weather minimums that you must maintain while in each of these segments depend on whether you are operating at an altitude below 10,000 ft. MSL, or at or above 10,000 ft. MSL.

- Airspace at an airport with a part-time control tower is classified as Class D airspace only when the associated tower is in operation. 

- When operating at a nontower satellite airport within Class D airspace, you must establish contact with the primary airport's control tower.

- Unless otherwise authorized, you must establish two-way radio communication with the control tower prior to entering Class D airspace. In addition, while operating within Class D airspace, you must maintain at least 3 statute miles visibility and a distance 500 ft. below, 1,000 ft. above, and 2,000 ft. horizontally from clouds.

- Class C airspace usually has similar dimensions from airport to another although some areas may be modified to fit unique aspects of a specific airport environment. 

- You must establish two-way radio communication with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the area prior to entering Class C airspace.

- While operating in Class C airspace, you must maintain at least 3 statute miles visibility and remain at least 500 ft. below, 1,000 ft. above, and 2,000 ft. horizontally from the clouds.

- If you are operating out of a satellite airport within Class C airspace you should contact ATC as soon as practicable after takeoff.

- To operate within Class B airspace, your aircraft must have two-way radio communication capability and a Mode C transponder.

- To operate in Class B airspace, you must be at least a private pilot or a student pilot with the appropriate logbook endorsement. 

- The floor and ceiling of each layer of Class B airspace are denoted on a sectional chart by MSL altitudes.

- Class A airspace extends from 18,000 ft. MSL up to and including FL600. You must be instrument rated and be on an IFR flight plan to operate in Class A airspace.

- Within Class A airspace, you are required to set your altimeter to the standard setting of 29.92 in. Hg.

- A special VFR clearance allows you to operate within the surface areas of Class B, C, D, or E airspace if the visibility is at least 1 statute mile and you can remain clear of clouds.

- You may not operate under a special VFR clearance at night unless you are instrument rated and your aircraft is instrument equipped.

- The phrase NO SVFR included with the airport data on a sectional chart indicates that special VFR clearances are not issued to fixed-wing aircraft.

- Responsibility for collision avoidance in an alert area rests with all pilots.

- While operating under VFR in an MOA, you should exercise extreme caution when military training activity is being conducted.

- Warning areas often contain hazards such as aerial gunnery or guided missiles.

- You must have the controlling agency's permission to fly through a restricted area.

- Military aircraft are normally operating at speeds in excess of 250 knots along MTRs.

- MTRs are classified as VR or IR and are identified with a three or four number designation based on the type and altitude of the operations conducted on the specific route.

- Five major legs/segments to traffic pattern;

Departure Leg

Crosswind Leg

Downwind Leg

Base Leg

Final Approach