My Momma is Smart

Start from the beginning

"My name is Jay. You?"

"Boston. What can I get for you?"

"Whatcha got?"

"I have Gatorade, Powerade, Otter Pops, Lemonades, and water bottles with the grown up Koolaid powder if you want them. I also got chips if you don't need a drink." He added as an afterthought.

"Alrighty well how about I get a lemonade and a bag of chips."

"Mkay. What chips?"

"Whichever is your favorite, I'm not picky."

"Well I like Doritos but mom says that we can only eat them outside cuz I get cheese fingers. Are you eating outside or inside?"

"I'll be eating outside," he smiled at Boston before turning to look at me for a moment. "The view is much better out here." I felt my face warm, unsure if that was supposed to be directed at me or not. My mouth dropped open slightly when he sent me a sly wink accompanied by a smirk.

Boston quickly grabbed a bag of Doritos and a lemonade and tried to count on his fingers while holding the items, making me smile at his small struggle to keep everything balanced. "That will be one dollar and two quarters," Boston set the items in his hands on top of the now closed cooler and pulled out his cash box. Jay handed him two dollar bills, watching as Boston turned to ask me if two quarters was the right change back and I nodded.

"Here you go, Jay. Don't forget to wash your fingers before touching any couches or your clothes when you eat those chips." My grin nearly hurt it was so wide.

"Thanks little man. You know, this is a real sweet gig you have going here. Who taught you how to run such a successful business?" he asked.

"My momma. She's real smart. She runs her own business, too."

"Oh does she?" His gaze shifted to me and I felt goosebumps run over my arms even in the midday sun.

"Yep. She doesn't sell food like I do, though. She sells pictures."

"Photographer?" he asked me.

"Graphic designer," I corrected, my cheeks warming at how raspy my voice came out. I motioned behind him when a couple more workers came up to buy some snacks from Boston.

"Sorry guys," he spoke, stepping out of their way before walking towards me. I was yelling at myself in my head to calm down and act collected as he bent over slightly, his posture putting him only a foot away from me.

"I didn't catch your name?" he asked me.

"Madison." I took his hand that he extended to me and gently shook it.

"You've got a real business man there."

"I sure do. He's the breadwinner of our family." I smiled as Jay let out a chuckle.

"Now, I'm sorry for the lack of subtlety but I really don't want to step on any toes. Is it alright if I take you out for dinner sometime?"

"Uh, sure." I couldn't think of a better response because my brain had ceased to function at that point.

"Great," he smiled, his eyes holding me captive. "I'll pick you up at seven if that's alright?"

"Tonight?" I choked a bit at how sudden it seemed.

"Any night. I understand scheduling being different when two people are involved," he motioned his head towards Boston. "Whether Mr. Business Man comes to dinner with us or not, I'm happy with whatever makes you more comfortable and works best for you."

I realized one second too late that I was just staring at him and not saying anything.

"Sorry," I sat up straighter since I had been resting my chin on my hand and was clearly ogling him like a dazed schoolgirl. "I think maybe we should go out just us once or twice before taking the little man."

"Of course," he responded.

"How would tomorrow work for you?" I asked.

"Perfect." His smile reached his eyes and my heart fluttered as his eyes drifted over the contours of my face. "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"Okay," I said in a soft voice. He turned and headed back to the house across the street. I didn't even stop myself from watching him walk away.

"Looks like Miss Sickler likes the new piece of eye-candy," Ron, one of the contractors, teased standing near the line of men getting refreshments from Boston. My face flamed with the heat of my blush.

"You're such a bully," I laughed, leaning back in my chair again.

"If it makes you feel better, he's rather infatuated with you." Another worker spoke before tearing the top of his otter popper open.

"Really?"

"Yeah! The poor kid has been working up the courage to come talk to you all week."

I looked across the street to see Jay walk around the back of one of the houses.

"He's probably doing a happy dance now," Ron swiveled his hips, his boots making scratching sounds on the small rocks below his feet. I laughed along with the other workers but my mind wandered to my date the next day with Jay and what it was going to be like.

"Can't wait," I whispered to myself, my smile making my cheeks a little sore.

#VoteIfYaWanna