T W E N T Y T W O

Venus:

I ran inside with Nick, he was rushing me up the stairs and I wondered why. He told me something about Jake and I worried, what had happened when I was gone? He led me to my room door and paused before grabbing the door handle and pushing my door open. I looked inside to see Jake lying on my bed, my bones were pulled out on the floor and one was beside him. He opened his eyes to reveal his glistening brown eyes. I automatically knew something was wrong once I came through the thresh hold of the house. I ran up to the bed and Jake began to wag his tail. I gave him a kiss on the nose and hugged him.

"Venus" he whimpered

I looked at him, I could sense death lingering in the room. I pet his long shiney black coat and looked into his eyes. He was dying, and had waited his final days for me to come home.

"Im so happy your back" He barked quietly

"So am I buddy" I said scratching the back of his ear lightly

He looked like he was grinning as he pushed his head into my hand. I smiled as I remembered the days when I would do that and he would push his head into my stomach and lay down on me.

"I love you Venus" He whimpered before closing his eyes

I began to tear up as I felt his body rise and he gave his last breath.

"No Jake no, Jake please" I sobbed as I continued to scratch the back of his ear in hopes he would awaken as his youthful self

"I got a seconed chance Jake no!" I cried

I knew he was gone, but I to had experienced death. Why was I able to live and not Jake? I knelt there at my bed, crying into his fur and taking in his smell as I knew this was going to be the last time I could smell him this way. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Nick who was also in tears. I got up and hugged him, crying into his shirt as I felt his tears land on my hair. After several minutes I pulled away and wiped my tears.

"W-wheres Dad?" I asked as he wiped his own

"Hes outside in the garden" Nick said, choking slightly

He began to lead me out of the room but I looked back to see my little cub, my only pack member, forever sleeping on my bed. I realized he had gone to sleep with a big grin on his face. He was happy, happy I had come home, happy that I had made it back to him in time. I turned around and gave myself a smile as I shut the door. He was happy, I should be happy to. I found Nick at the top of the stairs and we walked down together, I was clutching his arm as he led me to the backyard. I realized the only thing that had stayed alive was my flower garden. I had tended to those plants since I was a child, making sure they had water, talking to them when they looked sad, and curing them when they were sick. I realized through out this whole time I had been in the games, that plants do have mind and hearts of there own. Nick began to lead me to the center of the garden where the gazebo is, flowers standing straight up as I passed. The flowers had stayed alive for me, because I was there friend and they hoped for me to come home. I looked awat from my plants and had the feeling of nervousness wash over me. There standing in the middle of the gazebo was my father. I thought on how he didn't have the right to be called 'Dad' because Dads take care of there children, they don't hide life changing screts like that im sure. I stopped several feet from the entrance with Nick. Father turned around and his eyes brightend as he saw me standing along side my brother. I had no facial expression as he stared at me, frozen with joy. Nick pushed me forward and I began to walk up the steps slowly. Father is a government official, Venus you are scared, terrified even of officals of such brutality. Father rushed up to me to hug me but I pushed him away, still maintaining my serious facial expression. He looked down on me and frowned, the way his eyes filled with confusion as if he didn't know angered me. I shook my head slightly and smacked him.