O N E

Venus:

Twelve Years Ago:

I stumbled down the path of stones in the back of my house that lead to the woods. I loved going into the woods, but my parents would tell me not to because of the dangers that could get to a four year old girl like me. I made my way to a small clearing that I liked to play in. I heard a rustle and I quickly hid behind a tree. I peeked out to see a boy my age walk into the clearing. He started to pick flowers, nice and calmly. I came out from behind the tree and stepped into the clearing. I had never seen a boy that wasn't my father or older brother. He looked up and saw me and jumped, which made me jump also.

"Y-you scared me" he said in a low voice

"You scared me!" I said back

He laughed and I smiled. I walked up to him and picked a flower.

"These are my favorate flowers" I said, smelling them

"My mommy likes flowers, so I came to get some for her" he said clutching the small boquet in his hands

"My daddy says that we if we pick to much, there wont be enough flowers" I said with a worried look

"Oh..." the boy said looking into his hands

"But that's okay, he says I can help by re growing them" I said bending down into the grass and brushing my hand over top.

Several purple flowers grew and bloomed right before our eyes. He sat down next to me and touched the flowers.

"How did you do that?" he asked curiously

"I just do it." I replied with a shrug

"Im not allowed to do things like that... Mommy and Daddy says it can take them away and hurt me" he said his shouders drooping

"So does my daddy.. But we live far away so no one can see us." I said pointing in the direction of my house.

The boy nodded and looked around. The breeze blew and I smelled the sweet flowers scent in the air. Then I began to smell a stronge scent of something musky.

"Whats that smell?" I asked covering my nose

"What smell" the boy asked, sniffing the air

I ignored his question and got up, following the smell. As I got closer in the direction, the bushes moved and rustled causing me to jump. The boy creeped behind me slowly as we tiptoed curiously to the brush. I walked into the brush and the plants opened up for me to see inside, causing the boy to gasp. I looked in and saw a small ball of fur curled up under the brush. I bent down and picked it up, causing it to move. I relized it was a small cub. It opened its eyes and closed them again. I heldit close as I stepped out of the brush.

"What is it?" the boy asked as I ripped the end of my dress

"It's a cub" I said wrapping it up in the teared scrap

The boy stepped forward and held his hands out so he could hold it. I placed it in his arms and he cradeled it. We sat down and took turns holding it. We suddenly heard a shout.

"VENUS!" my father yelled

"SHAWN" yelled a womanly voice

"I have to go!" said the boy

He stood up and grabbed the flowers and waved goodbye. He ran out of the clearing and into the woods. Several minutes later my father ran into the clearing, panting and out of breath.

"Venus!" he said running up to mem as I stood up with the cub in my hand

"Look daddy! I found it in the brush!" I said showing him the cub