Ch. 1 Summary Checklist [Private Pilot]

Start from the beginning

- There are no specific ground or flight instruction hours required for the addition of a multi-engine rating to your certificate, but you will have to pass a practical test.

- To obtain a seaplane rating, your pilot training will focus on the characteristics of water and its effect on the seaplane.

- To pilot aircraft such as helicopters, gliders, or hot air balloons, you will need to obtain an appropriate category and class rating.

- To apply for a commercial pilot certificate, you must accumulate a total of 190 to 250 hours of flight time (depending on the type of pilot school that you attend) which typically include a minimum of 100 hours of pilot-in-command time and 50 hours of cross-country time.

- There is no specific number of flight hours specified for CFI training, but you are required to pass two knowledge exams and a practical test.

- The flight time requirements to obtain an ATP certificate are a total of 1,500 hours of flight time including 250 hours of pilot-in-command time, 500 hours of cross-country time, 100 hours of night flight, and 75 hours of instrument experience.

- If you are seeking a position with a regional airline, you should accumulate as much total flight time, pilot-in-command time, and multi-engine time as possible.

- To obtain a position as an airline pilot, you must meet specific minimum requirements, and competitive qualifications which vary as the job market shifts.

-Typically, the minimum pilot qualifications to fly as a corporate pilot include a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating and a multi-engine rating.

- To become employed as an aerial applicator you must hold a commercial pilot certificate and receive additional training in agricultural aircraft operations.

- The Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines provide extensive and demanding pilot training in some of the most technologically advanced aircraft in the world. 

- When the decision making process is applied to flight operations, it is termed aeronautical decision making (ADM).

- Your general health, level of stress or fatigue, attitude, knowledge, skill level, and recency of experience are several factors which affect your performance as pilot in command

- Communication is the exchange of ideas, information, or instruction.

- Since useful tools and sources of information may not always be readily apparent, learning to recognize and utilize the resources available to you is an essential part of human factors training.

- Effective workload management ensures that essential operations are accomplished by planning, prioritizing, and sequencing tasks to avoid work overload.

- Situational awareness is the accurate perception of the operational and environmental factors which affect the aircraft, pilot, and passengers during a specific period of time.

- Ear pain is normally the result of a difference between air pressure in the middle ear and outside air pressure.

- Slow descent rates can help prevent or reduce the severity of ear problems and to equalize pressure, the eustachian tube can sometimes be opened by yawning, swallowing, chewing, or employing the Valsalva maneuver.

- The reduction of atmospheric pressure during flight can cause scuba divers to experience decompression sickness. Recommended waiting periods are specified before ascending to 8,000 feet MSL or above after scuba diving.

- Motion sickness is caused by the brain receiving conflicting messages about the state of the body.

- Stress can be defined as the body's response to physical and psychological demands placed upon it. 

- Some of the effects of fatigue include degradation of attention and concentration, impaired coordination, and decreased ability to communicate. 

- Cockpit noise can contribute to excessive fatigue, stress, and airsickness, as well as severely impede the understanding of speech.

- Pilots who fly frequently may experience serious hearing loss over a period of time unless ear protection is used.

- Depressants are drugs which reduce the body's functioning in many areas. The most common depressant is alcohol.

- Intoxication is determined by the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream which is usually measured as a percentage by weight in the blood. The FARs require that your blood alcohol level be less than .04 percent and that 8 hours pass between drinking alcohol and piloting an aircraft.

- Stimulants are drugs which excite the central nervous system and produce an increase in alertness and activity. Amphetamines, caffeine, and nicotine are all forms of stimulants.

- Your ability to assess your mental and physical fitness for flight, and your skill at making effective decisions are essential to flight safety.