Chapter Thirty-Six

Drake waited by the door for her mates. She'd never been so stressed. Even the pack was agitated by her emotions.
Paula stood quietly beside Drake, not sure if to sit or stand. She kept pacing back in forth from the window and couch.
   Drake did what she could to ignore her. Blowing out a soft breath Drake took comfort in her cubs showing of life. They kicked a few times, feeling them with the palms of her hand. Shaking her head, Drake went over to the couch where Spencer sat.
   Not blind, Drake noticed the change in Spencer. It was a feeling she'd felt herself for years, originally losing Val as cubs. Lost, confused, empty, and disconnected.
   Drake literally felt Paula's unasked question. Either she would need to go upstairs or talk to her. Now that the truth was clear, Drake had time to digest everything. What she'd felt, too. Rather Drake liked it or not, Paula would be her, Val and Allira's cubs great grandmother.
   "They're fine."
   Paula looked up after Drake spoke randomly.
   "You want to ask me how our cubs are doing?" Drake watched Paula finally decide to sit. "They're fine."
   Nodding, Paula turned back to the window.
   Grunting, Drake was about to ask Spencer a question when Paula spoke.
   "I love my daughter. I guess...I ran off with Val because I couldn't face my Pierce. Not after the pain I brought into her life. And...I ran off to not see life repeat itself with Valerie." As much as Drake wanted to say something, she chose not to. "I've been foolish to think I was protecting her. Truth. I couldn't face my mistakes." Paula looked toward Drake, regret suffusing her face.
How was Drake to respond? Maybe for the first time she felt honesty out of Paula that she thought they'd never receive. "I want to trust in your words. Maybe one day I will. Maybe part of me is already believing in it. But right now, this isn't about how you feel." Drake sighed, Spencer reaching over to squeeze her hand. "My mates are out there fighting a danger that could have been prevented years ago. And that's okay. We are a part of it now. But you will not make any more mistakes, especially when our cubs arrive. Or you will be sent away, never a part of their lives."
"I understand."
Drake nodded. "Good."
By scent alone and the doubling of her cubs kicking, Drake knew her mates were coming. She shot up, eager to see them. By the time she was at the door, Drake could see her mates and the others approaching.
   She ran out the house, no shoes to cover her bare feet. Allira rushed up to meet Drake halfway. They kissed passionately. Val was a few steps behind. Stuck in her head most of the trip back home, the moment she laid eyes upon Drake all her worries vanished. Drake held her hand out, Allira pressed at one side of her body. The we're opening room for Val to slid in to.
   Tiredly, Val pressed into Drake's side, taking comfort in her mates love and warmth.
"How's our cubs?" Allira asked for both Val and herself, awaiting Drake's response.
"Excited to feel both your presence. It almost felt like they were going to pounce right out, the moment they felt your presence."
"Feistiness runs in their DNA," Allira said, sneaking a peek at Val, who stared blankly.
Frowning, Val smiled. "I'm not feisty. I'm a pretty chill person..."
"Until someone annoys you," Allira said.
"Or you don't get you're way," Drake said after.
They were trading off examples until Val cut them off.
"Or nothing or no one is on time," Val chuckled, self-deprecating. "I get it." Val snarled playfully, covering both Allira and Drake's mouth.
They chuckled a few times letting chatter around distract them enough to face out to the pack. Everyone had questions in their eyes.
Pierce stood a few dozen feet from Val, watching her. Kathleen at her side, pressed her hand against Pierce's back. Ryan greeted Pierce first with a hug, after the pack smothered around Pierce, glad to see her.
For several minutes, the pack switched off from Pierce to Allira and Val.
Once everyone got the connection they needed, they gathered more organized in front of Val and Allira; Pierce approaching beside.
There had been no time for Val and Pierce to connect, though their skins tingled for each other's touch.
   They didn't necessarily win everything tonight. They didn't necessarily lose either.
   Val sought no intention in speaking first. Taking the lead, Allira's straighten. "I'm not speaking to you as your Alpha." She took a deep breath mentally preparing her sofa whatever reaction they may have toward what she was about to say. "I quite...never felt like your Alpha. More like a tag-along to your true one."
   Frowning disapprovingly, Val opened her mouth to speak until Drake squeezed her hand as an indication to stop.
   It was evident Drake knew how Allira had been feeling too about the Alpha role.
   "I've appreciated the respect you have all given me nonetheless." Allira looked to her mates and back to their pack. "Tonight...with the help of many, the vampire Blair and her followers will no longer be a problem we'll have to take out."
   Immediately, the pack whistled and cheered in a chorus. A few howling elated that Blair was no Lindbergh a threat.
   Allira waved her hands up and down to get the pack to settle. She smiled. "As for Maerla..." she paused looking to Val for what to say.
   Knowing it was her turn to speak, Val stepped forth. "Though her methods were harsh and unforgiving in some parts...tonight we have learned that she was never our enemy."
   Kathleen lowered her head, grimacing. She wanted to argue against Val's opinion of tonight but realistically, she knew Val was right.
   The pack snarled, disapproving as well. Val let them have their moment. She understood their incredulous responses. Despite her own doubts, Val couldn't risk ignoring the possible truth. The thought of her power growing and overtaking her, it was baffling and frightening to think. Not even a year ago, Val believed to be human. Sometimes she thought back to the old naive her.
   "Maerla's has seen things to possibly come. Tonight...we saw a taste of what she's been seeing for years." Val's voice raised over the pack, silencing the lingering chatter. "She taught us--me a lesson tonight. A lesson that puts me in a place of deep concern. She will no longer cause us problems." Val paused, eyes landing on each of them. "I'm not telling you to like what happened tonight. You don't have to like it. But you will except it." Tone sharp and firm the pack said nothing. "For now we are all safe. But by now I think we all know it never last long. So I won't pretend. We will prepare ourselves." She sucked in a deep inhale before letting it all out. "Your dismissed."
   The pack scattered, some coming to Val for more comfort.
   Pierce spoke to many reassuring them to keep calm. She was their Prima and they trusted her.
Val didn't want to think about the night and all Maerla spoke of. Instead she wanted to hold her mates and make love to them all night.

~

   The night slowly turned to morning when practically all was asleep.
"You're not tired?" Pierce asked, cuddling into Kathleen's body.
Shrugging, Kathleen wrapped her arm over Pierce's shoulder. "I have a lot on my mind."
"You want to share?"
"I think you already know what's bothering me."
Pierce smoothed the palm of her hand over Kathleen's stomach. "I do, but it's up to you if you want to talk about it now or later."
"O...so I really don't have a choice?"
Pierce lifted her head from Kathleen's chest, smirking. "No, you don't." Resting her head back, Pierce said. "Now or later."
Kathleen purses her lips considering. She loved feeling Pierce against her skin. The quietness between them was peaceful. They didn't have much peace of recent. "Later."
Pierce looked back up into Kathleen eyes, pressing her lips softly against Kathleen's cheek. When Kathleen sighed, Pierce kissed her again over the mouth. Their lips pressed harder, more passionately as Pierce climbed on top.
Kathleen chuckled when Pierce, blew air into Kathleen's mouth playfully. Wrestling, Kathleen said, "I don't need oxygen."
Kissing her neck, Pierce smiled. " I just feel happy and playful."
"There are many ways of playing."
"Is there?" Pierce said as if clueless.
Kathleen nodded. "Yes, let me show you."

~

(For those who have been missing Marisa)

For the next few days, Marisa stayed in wolf form. Coming out to Yosemite, she'd driven in with Paula. Her wolf couldn't handle being cramped in a bus with a bunch of humans. It was too claustrophobic for her to handle.
Waiting until night, Marisa snuck back into the city without being seen. It was risky. The fed of being seen by a human, made her wolf want to act combative.
Living in a gated community kept her from unnecessary people trafficking her street. She wouldn't make it inside her gated community without being seen. Running in wolf form next to a few parked cars, she hopped the forefront of her paws onto the cars, one at a time. Each car rocked as she searched for a bag. She couldn't very well walk into her neighborhood naked.
Marisa left her clothes back in Yosemite the moment she shifted.
People obvious to her presence walked here Marisa quickly maneuvered in between some cars to hide herself from them.
Damn. It was not easy being a werewolf in the city. One of the ladies had a dog. Immediately, it began to bark toward her. Dogs were so unaware of size when they challenged.
The woman yanked on her dogs leach, forcing the dog to follow. The dog whined finally obeying.
Going back to searching car to car, she hadn't smelled or heard the human stepping out of his car.
The man stepped onto the curb screaming the moment he saw her. He prematurely threw a bag at Marisa, running off across the street.
Marisa picked up the bag with her teeth running off into some bushes. It took her a few minutes to shift. Once back in human skin, Marisa dug into the bag, finding gym clothes inside. They were too big but would have to do.
   Getting dressed Marisa walked up to the front gate punching her code in.
   "To, Marisa. Where you been?" One of the security guards within the community walked up.
   Nearly snarling at him for coming so close, Marisa smiled through tightening lips. "I'm good. Talk later. Don't feel good."
   Deciding to jog to her house, Marisa ran in a full on sprint. She didn't have her keys or anything, forgetting she left everything inside Paula's car.
   Scanning her ambiance, Marisa leaped up to her roof, climbing through the window she always left unlocked. Home. She should have felt happy about that. I stead, Marisa immediately felt depressive.
   Walking it her bathroom, she ran water into the tub. Pressing the button to her answering machine, Marisa had over twenty voicemails. She wanted to hear none of them.
   What was she thinking coming back here? Her wolf felt alone and disconnected. Marisa walked into the bathroom absent from herself as she stared into the mirror.
   Val came into her mind, as did the rest of the pack. Stepping into the tub, Marisa slid down, bending her legs as her thighs rested at her chest. She was alone. This is what Marisa wanted.
   When Spencer came into her mind Marisa sighed. Spencer probably hated her now for leaving. There was a connection between them that she'd chose to cut off. Marisa could never face Spencer again. She was afraid to. But deep down, Marisa knew she had to. For now...Marisa would be alone as a Rogue.