Chapter Thirty

I ran for nearly an hour. Not far enough. I could smell them on my skin like second hand smoke staining my clothes.
There was no outrunning my problems or fears.
"What's wrong?"
I turned sharply caught off guard by the sound of my mothers voice.
Clearly, I wasn't staying aware of my surroundings. Paula walked up to me. She stretched her arms out. An invitation to her comfort and support.
I wiped my eyes. It was too late to cover up my pain. "I'm so confused."
"To what?" Paula sighed, concern in her eyes. "Why aren't you with your pack? Mates? Sister?"
Words seemed to be a thing I could not form. I looked up at my mother. Deep inside me I felt a root of anger. I was angry at her. She'd hurt me though I could not remember how.
"A trick of the mind," I whispered subconsciously to myself. I gazed pass my mother to the ambience surrounding us. I took in a long inhale. This did not feel like pack home. Deep down I knew that.
"Valerie..."
I'd forgotten Paula's open arms to me. I went in for an embrace. My arms squeezed tight around my mother.
Still, in the back of my mind this did not feel correct. I pulled away. My eyes scanned my mother as if her expressions could tell me some hidden truth.
"What's wrong, honey."
"This." I took a step back. "This feels wrong."
"Which part?"
My voice raised. "Everything." I turned my back to her. I couldn't think seeing her watching me like I was having a nervous breakdown.
Shutting my eyes I listened for my wolf. Hollow and distant I heard a snarl. What was the truth?
It came to me. I was trapped in an illusion. This was a fantasy. Something easier to live with than the truth. No one wanted to believe their life was flipped out from underneath.
"I need to find Bran."
Paula snarled. "Why?"
I guess this was the part Kathleen also warned me about. How my fantasy could turn into my worse fears.
"It will make you feel in a fantasy until you don't." Those were basically the words Kathleen used.
The tenderness in Paula's voice vanished the moment I mentioned Bran.
"Where is he?"
"Valerie. Honey. That man left. He realized you weren't his daughter and left you."
I sucked in my anger. This twisted illusion was trying to suck me into its demented game.
"He doesn't love you. He wants nothing to do with you." Paula continued on bashing the relationship I built with Bran.
"And what are you to me?" My tone was sharp and challenging.
Paula paused. "I raised you."
"And you taught me nothing but bitterness." I didn't want to argue with Paula but it felt so compelling.
"Perhaps so. You sound bitter now."
"No," I snarled sharply. "I just hate you." Those words, I'd never used before. I felt as if I had brought damage unremoved to my heart. I took a step back. I couldn't be caught up in this illusion.
Fae magic ran through my veins. I could change this. Manipulate this illusion spell. I thought the smell of my pack home. The truthfulness in my surroundings. The people that mattered as well as the open clear deceit this illusion tried to control me with.
The wind blew loud enough in my ears to block out Paula's shouting voice.
My breathing was soft and comforting. It reminded me of life. I could not let my fears stop me. I had to face them.
Fear was a happy trigger to lying to yourself. I did not want to own that fear anymore.
I could smell the tree and the pack. I could feel their aura. On instinct, I shifted my head right. My wolf was guiding me. I walked blindly. Keeping my eyes shut I relied on my wolf to keep me safe.
Time went by. I felt my own body halt. Taking in a breath I recognized his scent.
Opening my eyes I found my father, Bran. He was on his knees. Upper body rocking back in forth with his hands covering his ears. He was chanting something. I did not understand the language.
I walked cautiously to him. Moving around to his front. Bran eyes were squeezed shut.
"Bran." I whispered his name staying a few steps back. I didn't want to startle him.
I don't think he heard me. He continued chanting while rocking back and forth.
Crouching down at his level I called out to him again. My voice seemed useless to reaching him. I knew touching him would be worse.
I thought of one of the tricks he taught me. Broadcasting our magic onto another.
I concentrated coming up unsuccessful multiple times.
"It's pointless what you're doing."
I looked up. It was Maerla. I knew it was not another trick in this illusional world. She was actually here.
"Then untrap his mind." I stood.
"Why?" She wasn't asking to taunt or mock me. That wasn't necessarily her style. She truthfully wanted to understand my reasons.
I answered her question. It took me a minute to gather up my emotions. "Because I need him." Tears fell from my eyes. I hadn't realized till now how true that statement was and what it really meant. I needed his teachings. The laughter in between. His guidance. The love in his eyes. "Did you really manipulate his mind to assault my...?" I paused.
"Can't say it, can you?"
I looked back up at Maerla.
"Would you love him more knowing he was not in control of his actions?" She asked.
"I already love him as strong as any daughter should, before knowing you were still alive. Or any other possibilities." I lowered my head. "I didn't ignore what he did to her." I looked back down at Bran who seemed so far away. When my eyes met Maerla a second time she smiled. Not in all the other malicious ways her smile formed. It was genuine and affectionate. "The man...Paula, described...was not the man I met. I wanted nothing to do with him at first. Then I saw it."
"Saw what?"
"His love. For me." I wiped another tear away. "For the pack. For life and nature. I saw his sincerity. His honesty and regret."
"Then why does it matter to know if he was in control or not?"
"Because...I want to understand how a mother could force her child to do something so cruel and evil. Maybe then...I could hate Paula less for what she did to Pierce and me."
Maerla's eyes narrowed in on Bran. He was her son. There was regret in Maerla's eyes. "I was so consumed with getting what I wanted...I lost sight."
"What do you call all you're doing now?"
"Since the birth of life on earth or off it...there has been two separate sides. One way...or another."
"Wrong," I cut off. "There are always more options."
"Perhaps." Maerla took in a soft sigh. "I realize the mistakes I made in the past. I've changed my tactics. But...everything I've done is for the future of my Fae people. Even werewolves and vampires. Whatever else out there. Everything I've done was to flush out the sickness. The cause to why this world turned out so poorly. All I've preached was for the freedom for all."
"Because the Fae King; your father, disowned and killed your mate."
"Yes," she snarled. "And if you ever lose a mate...which I hope never happens, you can understand and judge me for killing my father."
"What do you call taking my...mother?"
"A few have to suffer for the many."
I snarled. "You do not have to kill her just to take away that light that rest inside her." I held my wolf back. "That's not helping others. That's greed."
Maerla laughed. "You think I want what's inside her for myself?"
I stared dumbfounded.
"I want to destroy what lies within her." She shook her head. "My father thought he was above the truth and other important things because of that light inside him." Maerla shook her head. "Again...judging off of what little you know."
I pointed to Bran. "And why have you trapped his mind?"
"I did not trap his mind. I may have taught him the spell but I did not cast it."
Maerla seemed to have an answer for everything. "How do I release him?"
"Touch him."
I stared dubious.
She pointed to my wrist.
Following her gaze I stared down at the marking over my arm that had been glowing from my skin. I hadn't noticed. Bran marked me with this Fae symbol the last time I saw him weeks ago.
"By that symbol on your wrist it seems he cast that illusion spelled on himself."
That made no sense.
"With one touch...you will set him free."
I looked down back at my wrist, studying the glowing symbol I forgotten about. Everything was so confusing. It seemed that Maerla was here to help me. Why?
I looked back up to ask and she was gone.
Turning back to Bran I knelt back down. I looked at him than my wrist. She could be tricking me. Somehow, I doubted that.
Reaching for one of his arms, I touched him.
Brightness, stronger than my eyes could handle blinded me and my mind crashed.

~

Val groaned. He head felt heavier than her body.
"Valerie." Marisa's voice hissed in Val's ear.
Wincing, Val writhe away. Her hearing was powerfully enhanced. In a soft voice Val spoke. "Talk quietly. All my senses are extremely high."
Placing a hand over her head, Val sat up slowly. It was hard to open her eyes. She could tell it was day light. "How long was I out?"
"The last twelve hours," Kathleen whispered.
"Really." Val wasn't ready to open her eyes. The sun would definitely punish her if she did. She felt as if she'd been locked in a dark hole for weeks. "I felt like I was gone for maybe an hour."
"Illusions can be tricky." Kathleen said.
"No shit," Marisa commented sarcastically. "You all right to stand?"
Val nodded.
"Did it work?" Kathleen asked.
"I think so." Val reconsidered. "Yes."
"What happened?" Marisa asked.
"No more questions until I get something to eat and can at least look at you."
Marisa laughed. "Deal."

Thanks for everyone's patience! I have about six more chapters in this book before it will all be over. It will be nice lengthy chapters!
A further update; I'll be writing a Book 3. This time it will cover Spencer and Marisa's story!
I'll give you all a little taste these next chapters at what you'll be getting for book 3.
Thanks again!