Chapter Twenty-Four

The sun held the skies attention for most of the day, just as strong as Kathleen held Pierce's. The last several hours they went over logistics on defeating Maerla.
   All Pierce wanted to do was crawl back into bed with Kathleen. After spending time with Val into early morning, Pierce found Kathleen asleep in her bed. She didn't want to get out when late morning came.
   They all stood around the patio table in their backyard.
"How do we know where to find Maerla?" Ryan asked.
   Pierce still wasn't use to having her son apart of this big ordeal. He was no longer a child, maturing quickly. Both her children were involved and prepared to fight. Pierce was proud.
   "Bait," Val said.
   Kathleen squinted her eyes toward Val. "I don't think so," she dismissed.
   "You're not the bait," Val snarled. She early predicted Kathleen would further argue and added, "this is my pack. And she's my mother."
   Kathleen frowned. "My mate." Kathleen said that defiantly and as natural as saying Pierce was a werewolf. An obviously known fact to the pack. But what she said was not an obviously known thing to the pack. They knew Pierce and Kathleen were becoming close. One thing you couldn't do is throw the word mate out so freely without holding it to be true.
   Pierce flushed surprised Kathleen said that aloud to her pack. A pack she had to face everyday not Kathleen.
   It was too late to pretend she had not heard.    Now was the moment to either deny Kathleen openly or admit the truth.
   And the truth was Pierce had wanted Kathleen the moment they met. She felt almost empty and anxious without Kathleen. The thought of not having Kathleen frenzied her. Kathleen was more addictive than any source ever before her. No one else made Pierce feel half the things Kathleen made her feel.
   Not being with Kathleen terrified her. And truth was, any who objected would be put in their place before a word escaped their lips.
   Pierce knew Val approved.
   This was Pierce moment of truth. She smiled, eyes on Kathleen. No hesitation halting her words from being spoken aloud. Pierce's scent had yet to mark Kathleen's skin but her wolf knew.
   "I am Kathleen's to claim." Pierce spoke with pride.
   Kathleen smiled knowing Pierce's admission was an accuracy she needed to hear.
   Someone grumbled from afar.
   Pierce snarled looking past a few Weres not holding anything in.
   Val was about to grab the Were who mumbled insulting words but Pierce asked her not to.
   "Let me handle him." Pierce walked up to the werewolf who was a part of her pack and was dismissive of her new relationship with Kathleen. "I see you need help being corrected on the new way of the world."
   He lowered his head. "I'm not trying to disrespect you, Prima." He pointed at Kathleen, and through my wolf's rage in Kathleen being a target of disrespect she grabbed his finger pointed at Kathleen's direction and snapped it.
   Pierce watched as he screeched and she used the bottom of her foot to plant a harsh kick at the center of his chest.
   He flew backwards, everyone that was behind him dodging to the side.
   "I don't ever need to explain myself to anyone just as I don't expect you to explain to me, who you mate with."
   Slowly, he stood up clutching his arm over his chest. Seemed Pierce broke his clavicle.
   "It will never happen again. Sorry Prima." He looked at Kathleen apologetically. "Sorry...Kathleen. You've done more for this pack than asked of."
   Kathleen nodded. "So can we finally get back to the part where I would have to disagree with your plan, niece."
   Val straightened. She changed her route of argument. Pierce and Kathleen may not have been mated official but the statement still held strong merit.
   Taking a look at Pierce, the only thing she had left to argue was raw logic. "Maerla wants what's inside of you. She also wants the perfect family she managed to manipulate into having. She orchestrated the children she had right down to all her grandchildren. That includes me. Not as her granddaughter but great auntie." Val slid her hands into her pocket. "I want her and the rest of our problems fucking gone by the time our cubs are born."
   "Then we should figure out a smart and safer way for us to get what we all want," Kathleen said. "Without risky Pierce's safety."
   "There is no better way," Allira said.
   "There is," Val stated. "I go as well."
   Drake stood, "no." Her voice bellowed.
   "Pierce goes off...pretending to be stressed about everything. Needs space," Val said.
   "That's not a hard stretch for her to believe," Spencer said.
   Pierce watched and listened to Val's plan.
   "Maerla has been watching us from a far. I'm not blind to that." Val leaned against the table. "You would resist...but your goal will be to get captured. She can't take what you have by killing you. My part...I will try and stop her. Beg her to let me come. That I would give her what she wants for my mother."
   "How will that help anyone?" Drake said, hating this plan.
   "It will be Kathleen's job to find us. Magic. I don't care how. Get Mckayla on board." Val sighted the grimace in one corner of Kathleen's eyes. "Tell me a better plan." Val waited a moment than continued. "The thought of being separated from my mates is paralyzing. I know Pierce being your mate...terrifies you to know she'll be centered in danger."
   Kathleen sighed looking over to Pierce. They studied each other a moment.
   "Shit," Kathleen hissed. She shook her head, straightening as she let Val's plan settle into her mind. "I need to get back to my kingdom. See my father."
   "I can go--"
   "You are safest here," Kathleen said. "I do need werewolf assistance though."
   "What for?" Allira said.
   "My father needs a bit healing. If one of you is willing..."
   "I'll go," Marisa volunteered.
   "No," Val snarled.
   "What--" Marisa frowned. "You can't leave. All you need to show me is how to take away some of the wolf's venom. I'm least needed here."
   "That's incorrect," Spencer shot out. "You are already a strong werewolf. We need you here."
   Pierce watched the need for Marisa to stay in Spencer's eyes rather Spencer felt that within herself or not. Seems everyone was feeling the dread of losing someone they cared for.
   "And I can help Kathleen." Marisa frowned Spencer's way. She couldn't see why Spencer was arguing against her going. "Val...I can do this."
   Val knew Marisa could. Seeing her friend take action for the sake of their pack gave Val hope. The hope that Marisa would one day want to stay if she saw a role for herself.
   "I show you how and you come back in one piece," Val finally agreed.
   Spencer snarled walking back into the house.
   Pierce watched Spencer walk off than turned back to Marisa who had also been watching her. When their eyes locked, Marisa turned away pretending she hadn't noticed Spencer leave.
   Val looked at her mates, Drake having the most raged stare out of all. "I need to talk to my mates, so let's make this quick." She waved for Marisa to follow.
   Everyone was dismissed, Kathleen stepping into Pierce's personal space. "You sure this is all what you want to do?"
   Pierce nodded. "We're all risking something." Closing in the rest of the space Pierce settled her arms around Kathleen's waist. Pierce embraced her, resting her head under Kathleen's chin. "I want this to be over."
   "Then we can get more on the topic of you and I once tho s is all finished," Kathleen said. That's all she wanted. "I want you to know...I'm in no rush. Just know that."
   Pierce straighten, kissing Kathleen's lips. "I know. I want the same things you want."
   "Hm. I'm curious to know what you think I want." Kathleen was trying to pull Pierce into a seduction.
   About to answer, Val walked up clearing her throat.
   Kathleen narrowed her eyes at Val, frowning. "Done already?"
   Val shrugged with a grin. "What can I say. Marisa's a fast learner. She is my best friend for a reason."
   Shaking her head Kathleen laughed. "I guess we should get going."
   Marisa shrugged. "If you're ready."
   Kathleen looked back at Pierce and stole another kiss before saying, "ready now."