Chapter Thirty-one

Allira leaped down the porch taking Marisa's place to guide Valerie into the house. The pack smothered around concerned for their Alpha.
Val disappeared into the house. Most of the pack crowded deep into the front entrance. There was no point in following inside. Marisa knew Val was all right.
Laughter pulled Marisa's attention away from the house.
Great. My favorite fellas.
In a smug expression, the lead asshole approached with his stragglers. "Perhaps if you were normal, our Alpha wouldn't be hurt."
"Yeah. You could have fought to keep her safe," his brother said.
Mockingly, Marisa smirked. "Glad to know you still have a lot of prejudice against me, Drew. Though I don't like to be in a man's mind, I am truly flattered."
Drew snarled placing his hand around Marisa's throat.
She snarled trying to withdraw from his grip. Drew's claws pierced into the sides of her neck. "I promise you one thing bitch...as soon as the next full moon comes, I will put you in your place."
Through grunted breath and teeth clutched, Marisa spoke. Her voice was strained as if her windpipe shrunk to the size of a straw. "Why wait?" Gold simmered from Marisa's eyes. Her eyes dropped low tempting him to follow her line of sight.
"Bro..." Andrew's brother punched his shoulder lightly. "You better let her go."
"Why?" Drew agitated voice comforted no one. His eyes finally dropped low between them.
Marisa's claws were less than an inch from his manhood. His eyes widen before narrowing to Marisa. "I won't feel no pleasure in touching your dick but I would take comfort in ripping them off. An experience I may have fantasized about."
Drew seemed to reconsider. He squeezed Marisa's neck a little tighter before shoving her back. "In just a few weeks. You'll be mine. And after I force you to submit...I might have you submit in other ways."
In a loud snarl Marisa leaped for Drew hearing Allira's sharp voice a second too soon. Marisa knew if she made any move on Drew she'd be in trouble. The thought of her having to answer to anyone pissed Marisa off.
"They were just having a small disagreement. You know how dominant werewolves can be." Again Spencer spoke, jumping into Marisa's affairs.
Instead of saying anything Marisa stared at Spencer dumbfounded. Hadn't they just talked? Marisa thought she made clear that her business was not to be invaded.
"Is it over?" Allira asked directly at Marisa for an answer.
She couldn't do this. Answer to others. This was not Marisa. She did not sign up for this. Instead of answering Marisa ignored them all and turned off.
"Marisa..." Allira snarled.
"She's done it now," Drew said smugly.
Before Marisa could channel in her rational mind and morals she rushed Drew.
He snarled with only a few seconds reaction. His body curled in a tackle motion and Marisa pivoted her hips bringing her knee up to connect to Drew center in the nose.
Dropping to his knees, Drew tilted his head forward pinching his now bloodied and broken nose. "Bitch," he snarled. "That was you lucky shot."
Drew stepped away right as Allira stepped in between.
Allira looked Marisa in the eyes wanting her to submit.
Marisa couldn't bring herself to do that. Instead, she turned away and continued off.
Drake moved down the porch. "Handle him. I'll talk to Marisa."
Allira was about to disagree changing her mind from Drake's determined expression.
Backing off Allira turned her attention to Drew pointing him into the house.
Drake followed Marisa's scent. Thankfully she didn't go to far. Instinct had Drake place her hands protectively over her belly. She wasn't threatened by Marisa. Partly, it was out of habit. The other part, anyone who wasn't Drake's mate made her nervous. It was a mothers natural instinct to be protective.
Marisa wasn't walking fast. Drake was close behind to see her. "You really going to have a pregnant woman run after you?"
Guilting Marisa, she stopped.
"Where do you plan on going?"
"I still own a house back in LA." Marisa snarled. "Why are you following me out here?"
Drake wasn't obvious to the danger around. Nor was Allira and Val. But they all knew Marisa would protect her if it came down to a threat standing in their way. "It is dangerous being away from the pack."
"Then you should go back to them."
Drake shrugged. "I will. With you."
"No." Marisa. She shook her head. "I'm done."
"With what? Val?"
"Don't do that to me?" Marisa snarled. She sucked in her breath. Marisa did not want to come across hostile. Biting her lip, Marisa pinched the bridge of her nose. Eyes closed, Marisa calmed her pacing wolf. She was ready to speak. "I will always be loyal to Valerie. I respect who she is. She can try to fit into some role that isn't the Val I know, but I won't. I can't."
Drake did not dismiss all Marisa said. Choosing her battles Drake chose the important one. "Why can't you?"
"Because I'm not built to follow. I'm not built to be attached to strangers."
"You haven't given them a chance."
"They haven't given me a chance." Marisa response was sharp and true. Simply for being a bitten werewolf she was an outcast. "I'm done."
Drake could feel Val's call. She wanted Drake to come home.
Marisa noticed Drake's mental distraction. "Go." Marisa knew Valerie would not talk her into staying. They'd discussed this already. She'd support her decision. "I appreciate how nice you've treated me. Tell Val..."
"I know." Drake sighed. "You'll always have a place here."
Marisa nodded. Not looking back she turned shifting into a wolf and running off.