Chapter Twenty

Marisa walked out to the back patio interrupting a few werewolves talking amongst themselves. Soon as they noticed her they drew silent as if keeping a secret not meant for Marisa's ears.
Yeah, that was obvious, Marisa thought. It was too late. She had already over heard their whispers.
   One of the werewolves snickered, Marisa turning to catch him scoping her figure.
   She cringed internally calling out to all her willpower not to say something. Marisa was new to this pack and half the pack ignored her while the other half had mixed feelings about her joining. Some liked her, while the rest made it seemingly clear they did not approve.
   Something about being a bitten Were.
   If it wasn't for Valerie she would have left long ago.
   She walked over to the fire pit not caring to light a fire but be isolated from the rest.
   The werewolf she caught staring at her approached chest poked out as if he was modeling for the next military magazine issue. He was all right looking for a guy.
   Marisa held her ice tea in her hand, swaying her blonde hair out of her face. She liked to wear her hair down. Made her feel like a princess. That's what she told everyone jokingly. Truth, she just liked her hair down. It softened her a bit.
   She closed her squared jaw shut waiting for him to talk.
   "I'm Drew." He smiled showing his perfect whites. "My brother and I were curious."
Here we go. "About?" Marisa wanted to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. He was pack after all.
   "Have you ever considered being with a man?" Before Marisa could comment he went further into his questioning. "I mean...before you were turned, the men you had around were humans. Hardly worthy of your beauty. But now...you have real men. Werewolves. Looking for a mate?"
   Though Marisa was vastly aware of her beauty hearing it from a man was not what she wanted. "I'm good," was all she said.
   "Seriously. How about we try each other out for a night?"
   Immediately, before Marisa even knew how to stop her wolf snarled through her lips trembling her chest. "I don't need or care for a man's confirmation on my good looks." Marisa's eyes locked with Drew's. "If you'd excuse me I came here to sit privately."
   Drew stepped into her personal space and instinctively Marisa punched him in the nose feeling threaten.
   The other two werewolves ran up grabbing Drew before he could lunge at her.
   She had been learning pack laws. And one could not challenge another until the full moon.
   Drew snarled as blood came from his now broken nose seeping into his mouth. "Bitch." It barely took the two other werewolves to hold him back but that was only because he stopped resisting. "You think cause you got it good with our Alpha's you can get away with things."
   "I haven't been trying to get away with anything," Marisa snarled. "But don't ever approach me again and we won't have this problem."
   Drew smirked maliciously. "The next time I approach you...it will be on our next full moon and I will challenge you...openly. You are going to stay at the bottom of this pack."
   "You think I care about rankings?" Marisa blew him off sitting back at the chair she was originally headed to before interrupted.
   Drew muttered a few more words before he and his two friends left.
   A few minutes passed when Spencer circled around the chair to face Marisa at a distance. She sat in a chair beside her. "You know...you're still learning how to connect with your wolf...but, you will care about how you rank in our pack."
   "Then I'll worry then," Marisa said dryly.
   Spencer had never heard such bitterness in Marisa's tone. "Is something bothering you?"
   Marisa did not answer right away. She held her hand out in front of her, concentrating enough to call out her wolf. Her claws erupted out from through her fingers and then she called her wolf off to make them disappear. "I thought I'd love this new life. Since being here..." Marisa shook her head. Why was she sharing her thoughts to a woman who did not care about her..."never mind. Look, I wanted to be alone."
   Kind of surprised by Marisa's dismissal and lack of flirtation like she usually distributed very well, Spencer nodded.
   Once Spencer was gone, Marisa sighed thankful for the privacy.

~

   Drake and Allira laid in bed naked beneath the sheets. Resting her head over one of Allira's breast, Drake grazed the tips of her fingernails over Allira's abdomen. Drake smiled feeling Allira's muscles retract beneath her fingers.
   "I wanted to tell you something," Drake whispered.
   Allira brushed her fingers through Drake's hair. "What is it?"
   Drake preferred to get what she needed off her chest rather than hesitate and waste time. "I asked Spencer to test our cubs."
   Allira frowned from how quick Drake rushed her words out. After a few seconds of playing the words back in her head, Allira grimaced. She sat up on her elbows, Drake lifting off to sit straight up, using the sheet to cover her.
   "You did what?"
   Drake lowered her head. "I tested our cubs DNA."
   Allira took a moment to process that further. Her frown and displeasure was evident. "Why...why would you do that?" She asked perplexed and bothered by this whole conversation.
   "Because..." Drake sighed knowing this was already turning out wrong.
   "Because what?" Allira snarled. She blew out not wanting to upset Drake. Upsetting Drake would upset their cubs. "Why would you do that?" Allira asked though she struggled to keep a calm voice.
   "I wanted to know if our cubs were connected to you..." Drake regretted her choice of words instantly..."that's not how I meant it," Drake said immediately.
   Snarling, Allira scooted from Drake's reach, sliding out the bed to get dressed.
   "Allira...please hear me out."
   "Well you have about a minute of my time before I am dressed and walk out."
   Drake slid off the bed, sheet still hung around the front of her body. "You are every much apart of these cubs as Val or me. I just could see the look in your eyes, sometimes."
   "What look?" Allira asked.
   "The look your making right now when you stare down at my belly." Drake moved around to Allira quickly. "The look that says, 'will at least one of our cubs take up after you?' That's the look I see." Allira hid her head away by turning and Drake turned her back. "I believe that your blood runs through each cub just like Val's and mines. That's what I believe. I just..." Drake curled her hands around the nape of Allira's neck keeping her close..."I want you to have proof now that you have nothing to worry about. I'm tired of seeing that look."
   Allira wanted to be upset but she couldn't be mad at Drake. Deep down, Allira had been wondering and was too afraid to voice her thoughts. No matter what she would love their cubs. Drake was offering her an opportunity to find out the truth. "I love you."
   Drake smiled relieved and affectionate. "I love you too." She leaned in kissing Allira softly until she became dizzy with desire to pull her back into bed.
   Allira yanked the sheet down, tired of having it as a barricade that gave no access to her mates body. Her hands swarmed around Drake's body, their lips and tongues teasing each other before taking their kiss to a deeper level.
   Drake groaned in Allira's mouth, sinking her claws into the back of Allira's neck.
  A call through the packs telepathic bond put their path to love making on hold.
   "I got to go," Allira said. She had heard Spencer's request for conversation through their pack and Alpha bond.
   Drake nodded kissing her mate hard on the lips one last time before pulling away. "I know."
   They kissed a few more times before Allira stepped out. Her duty as Alpha.