Chapter Twenty-Two

Feeling lousy from her earlier behavior Marisa walked up the stairs to speak to Allira. She was never much of a class act asshole, though tonight hadn't represented her well. It wasn't Allira's fought she felt the way she did.
   "My mate is sleep," Drake opened the door to her room stepping out after closing it. One of her brows arched curious to Marisa's approach. "You come to apologize."
   "Or my failed attempt of..." Marisa said dryly. She smirked trying to lighten the mood. When Drake made no reaction Marisa sighed. "Look. I know I was a dick to Marisa."
   "Yes you were," Drake agreed.
   Marisa nodded. She bit at her bottom lip sliding her hands in her pockets.
   "And you were a dick to Spencer."
   Eyebrows now arching from Marisa she shook her head. "No. She should have minded her business."
   "Perhaps...if you were human and not apart of this pack," Drake pointed out. "But you are. What effects you...effects all of us. That's what being apart of a pack means."
   "All right. I get it. But I'm new to this all. And you can't expect me to jump into this shit." Marisa sucked in a breath, anxious from her wolf pacing inside her. Marisa gripped at her thighs, claws digging holes into them.
   Drake studied her for a time considering Marisa's point of view. "There was a time when humans here and there would know of our existence. And work hard to prove their worth in being bitten and turned. It is hard to become a werewolf. Many did not make it." Drake rubbed her hand over her belly. "That history was long ago. And many now don't accept bitten werewolves. At least than...we prepared the humans. Told them what to expect. You had no preparation. You did not ask for this. You've been a human for twenty-eight years."
   "Twenty-nine..." Marisa corrected. "I was held back in school. Thankfully I met Val and she helped me further on." There was a lot in Marisa's past she preferred private.
   "Okay. Twenty-nine." Drake muscles jumped, startled by the kick in her belly. She gazed down eyes widen.
   "What?"
   "They kicked. One of them at least." Drake, in excitement pressed both her hands around her belly waiting for another kick. "Put your hand at the center." Drake looked back at Marisa hopeful of another kick. "Maybe one of them will kick for you."
   Hesitating, Marisa went ahead pressing her hand gently over Drake's belly. A few seconds passed, no sign of life other than her werewolf enhanced senses picking up multiple heartbeats. "Whoa..." Marisa leaped back, stepping one step lower on the stairs. "I felt that."
   Drake called out to Allira. "Babe..."
   Allira was out the room in seconds. Her hands at Drake's belly. Their mating bond alerting her of what the excitement was all about. "We're going to be awesome moms."
   Marisa did not want to intrude on the bond they were having and snuck off down the stairs, Val rushing up. Val patted Marisa before continuing up.
   Not wanting to be around anyone she escaped from everyone's sight, shifting into a wolf off for a run.

~

   Kathleen closed the portal after they stepped through.
   Not ready to disconnect from Kathleen, Pierce draped her arm over Kathleen's shoulder reeling her in.
   "Hey...I have a question for you?"
   Pierce kissed her cheek before backing away.
   They started walking when Kathleen asked her question. "You really want this to happen...between us?"
   Pierce nodded. "I want this to happen between us."
   Kathleen grinned. "Good."She sighed.
   Catching on to the fact that something was bothering Kathleen, out of instinct Pierce reached for her hand. "What's bothering you?"
   "How will your pack feel?"
   "How will the Fae?" Pierce shook her head. "We are going to get disapproval on both sides. What matters is that we care about each other and I know our family will support us. My pack is my family just as Val is. The few that disagree is their own problem to get over."
   Happy to hear the words she wanted to hear, Kathleen pulled Pierce into a kiss embracing her gently.
   "You've been very patient with me," Pierce admitted.
   "I have," Kathleen agreed with a smirk. "So much time consumed. No complaints though."
   Rolling her eyes Pierce started walking back toward her pack.
   A few of her pack ran up once she was in view. Pierce greeted them with a hug. "Where's Valerie?"
   They pointed to the house. There was a lot she wanted to talk to Valerie about and prolonging it due to fear wouldn't help.
   Ryan approached in a steady motion. His smile worn thoroughly up to his eyes. "Mom..." he reached in for a hug squeezing Pierce tight.
   Pierce squeezed her son back just as tightly rubbing his back. "How do you feel?" She asked. "Are you okay with this all?" She wanted to know the truth. How he felt mattered.
   He let go as Pierce cupped his cheek waiting for a response. "Val and I talked. This is different. Weird." He skewed his expression in a form of confusion as if he had so many questions left unanswered. Pierce was sure he was still processing everything. "I was happy when I thought she was my aunt. Not I'm happy to have her as my big sister."
   "You know," Pierce put her hand on his shoulder, "if ever you want to talk about this...I will."
   Ryan smiled. "I know, mom."
   I sighed, relieved that Ryan was so understanding and accepting of the situation. Though, Pierce felt no surprise. Ryan was always leveled headed and open to understanding and acceptance.
   "One kid down...another to go," Kathleen said.
   Pierce nodded. "Yeah." The reminder of Val being her daughter made Pierce feel that dull ache of grief all over again. "I'm going to..."
   "I'll wait out here." Kathleen wanted to kiss her but with Pierce pack around to held back.
   Pierce saw the hesitation from Kathleen. There was hesitation within her own body and mind as well. It was a lot easier to say she was ready and would face her pack with Kathleen at her side. Now actually seeing them she was nervous. She only squeezed Kathleen's arm walking off feeling like a coward.
   Not making an reaction, Kathleen stood as she watched Pierce walk off. She was disappointed Pierce could not show affection toward Kathleen in front of her pack. Deep down, Kathleen understood. For years Kathleen had kept her private affairs private. That meant her sexuality. This was the same for Pierce. Not only was Pierce facing coming out with mixed responses. Some, Kathleen was sure would be along the lines of: 'how did not not know you liked women before?' But she was also facing the possible issue of being with a woman outside their own kind.
   Kathleen knew for a fact her Fae people would have mixed emotions.
   It would be a challenge, but if they stood together firm it would be a challenge easily beaten.