Chapter Twenty -Three

Val pressed her hand into Pierce's shoulder for support. Her stance a bit struggling, Allira came over to grab Val keeping her at a safe distance until she was able to heal.
   "This is really getting old." Val decided to speak despite her injury.
   Allira grumbled telepathically through their bond. Perhaps you should heal first.
   No. I won't step out of distance from you. But I can't stand and watch.
   Val meant what she said. She was exhausted with their enemies thinking they can walk into her territory. She had enough. If she wasn't seeming to dominate and dangerous her enemies would know starting now.
   Pierce kept her eyes on Val, abashed by what she done.
   Watching Val smile, Pierce was finally able to relax.
    Knowing Maerla was capable of tricking her mind, Pierce finally understood what Kathleen meant weeks ago about Fae more powerful than she'd possibly ever faced. It made Pierce feel weak. But that was short lived seeing her daughter, Val stand up firm and stoic.
   This was new. Facing a Fae, let alone an army of them. Pierce knew once she learned their weaknesses she would be able to out power them. It was a matter of when and how?
   All Val wanted to do was heal and spend personal time with Pierce. It was still weird going from calling her sister to mom.
   "I merely want to have a reunion," Maerla chimed in, not swayed by all the hostile glares she was getting since the moment she arrived. She eyed each of them for entertainment purposes mostly.
   Maerla smiled with false warmth at Val before turning her gaze to Kathleen.
   For only a second Maerla's expression soften. A second later she was back to a ruthless gaze, her expression carved into stiff angles.
   It was Kathleen's expression that effected Pierce the most. Seeing Kathleen so devastated and confused all at once on how to respond to her sister. Kathleen said she once looked up to Maerla.
   Pierce did the same for her ma yet somehow the way Kathleen now looked at her sister it was far different.
   Kathleen seemed to struggle with what to say. Her sister had been one of the biggest threats and cruel causes to her Fae people and Werewolf packs all over including her niece. The fact that she wanted to harm Pierce conflicted Kathleen more.
   Absently Kathleen's hand griped her sword tightly not sure rather to unleash it or not.
   Maerla's eyes dropped down to Kathleen's sword. Curiosity got the best of her. She took a step forward and watched a bit disappointed her baby sister, Kathleen pulled out her sword. The sharp end pointed at her direction. Maerla pondered, considering her options and the thought of Kathleen actually using that sword against her infuriated Maerla.
   "I see where you stand." Maerla spoke coolly. Not one breath hitched though she was fuming inside. She wasn't one to easily show her emotions.
   Noticing the tension between Kathleen and Maerla, doing what she liked to do the most Val reminded everyone who she was. Not what she was or her position but simply who she was for the last twenty years. Human or not.
   "I don't like my time being wasted. I don't like intrusion. I don't like when someone think they can take advantage of others. Most of all...I don't like being around someone I do not care for."
   "That may be how--" Val pulled a knife made out of iron from her backside and lunged it directly at Maerla's head.
   Everyone watched as the knife buried into Maerla's head. The next few seconds everyone watched baffled as the appearance of Maerla turned into a different woman.
   Her eyes widen shimmering green. Val saw fear and disorientation in the woman's eyes.
   "That could have been Mckayla's mother," Allira shouted.
   "While Aunt Kathleen here is startled by the appearance of her sister and everyone else is unseeing of Fae tricks I was not oblivious. I knew it wasn't Maerla as well as anyone in her bloodline. Just like Weres, Fae can also smell others of their own kin. Mckayla is my kin making her mother mines as well." Val straighten a bit more as if she was fully recovered from being stabbed. She was far from recovered but so far pissed off to care at the moment.
   She ended the issue in a matter of seconds. All the talking Maerla was trying succeed in, dismissed.
   Val's eyes were a sheering sapphire before shimmering in and out of green. Val walked with no sign of pain sucking it all in until she reached the dead body. "I am done talking. We...are through talking." A snarl erupted from Val's throat. "My patience and understanding is gone. I do not want to smell fear out of no one." Val was talking to every member of her pack. She closed her eyes reaching a further link out to Leona and the others she had join in of recent. Once connected she continued. "I do want to hear talk of fear... not even by our submissive wolves. This..." Val pointed down to the dead Fae..."this was not Maerla or anyone she cared about. Why do you think that is?"
   Waiting for someone to answer Val did her best to keep the sweat from falling down her face. She was putting up an act not to make her pack truly aware of her pain.
   Marisa answered. "Because she knows she has a chance at being killed if she had come. She was afraid." Marian made momentary eye contact went Val before lowering her head. Marisa knew all to well what true cowardice looked like. So did Val. They been through a lot together to know.
   Val nodded. "She bleeds all the same. And unlike us...she can't heal as fast unless you give her room to."
   "And she will have no room," Allira added with a smile.
   "New rule." Val held her index finger up. "Any time some enters are territory without permission and is a knowing hostile, intent on harming us...no words needs to be exchanged. Rip them apart. Enforce that notion to our enemies. Make it a clear statement."
   "What do we do with the body?" One of the pack asked once Val was done.
   "Send it back. Maerla glammer this Fae, hosting her body. For all we know she was innocent. So we won't shred her with our canines and claws. We'll save that for the deserving. But...we'll send her back, personally."
   Nothing more to say Val walked toward her mates, them following as she went into the house.
   Allira and Drake took the lead not heading to their room but the one Paula had been kept in.
   "We need the room." Allira pointed for Paula to get out
   "What happened?" Paula asked concerned.
   Val snarled low, not able to hold her wolf back much longer. "Get out."
Her anger wasn't with Paula though she had every right to be angry at her. Nor at Pierce. It was directed toward Maerla. Rather Maerla was Val's grandmother or not she manipulated Pierce and thought to send some fake doppelganger into her territory.
   All the rage Val composed into one pile was ready to shrivel out.
   The moment her mates closed the door Val snarled kicking her bare feet into the wood chair. Val purposefully left broken construction inside as a way to help add to relieving all the aggression felt.
   Now here she was using them as a source of her anger. Val pulled her clothes off swiftly knowing her wolf was seconds away from tearing out.
   Blood still seeped through her stab wound as she covered it with the palm of her hand. She slammed her fist into the hard padded wall.
   Allira and Drake stood at a distance. They wanted Val to know she had them at her side.
   Shifting into a werewolf angry the way Val was, held no easy task. Nor did the sight of it hold easy to her mates eyes.  Her wolf lashed out the moment her claws were unleashed.
   For the next hour it would take a whole lot of talking to before Val could even remotely calm down enough to sit down.