Chapter Fifteen

They drove back into Pierce's pack home close to five in the evening. Kathleen could sense something bothering Pierce but did not want to confront the matter with Leona in ear shot.
   Leona gazed out of the window in the back seat curious to how things looked after twenty years of absence from her once called home. Not much changed. The house needed a new paint job, small chips of wood broken in varies areas of the house and there were less cabins that use to take up space. Over all, the pack was rebuilding, finely.
   There were new construction lumber about a hundred feet from the main house. A garden layered alongside.
   So many years past, reasons behind why she left this pack kept to herself. At the time she saw no way out of the danger she faced within this pack at the time. Val and Pierce, as well as all the young Weres at the time the pack had fallen over twenty years ago were victims. So many secrets still hidden from them, clearly.
   The pack roamed around, a few guarding the flank of their home.
   The pack was mixed with the young and old.
   "What do you think?"
   Leona nodded. "I'm impressed. This packs definitely not dead."
   "My sister and her mate have already accomplished more than I predicted."
   "Your sister...yes." Leona winced at her own struggle to agree with Pierce.
   Pierce twisted to view Leona from the back seat, curious. "How long did you stay after Paula had Valerie?" She was wondrous to Leona's conspicuous glare that lingered in her eyes.
   Leona expression seemed to go blank as she answered. "Same night." She needed to get her bearings straight.
   Pierce turned back ahead unsure of what to ask next. For some strange reason she thought about the vision she had. She shook that thought from her mind before it could fully develop. No sense in driving herself ma's about it now.
   "Give me the keys," Pierce said to Kathleen holding her hand out once they exited the car.
   Kathleen arched a brow. "You can't leave by yourself."
   Sighing Pierce nodded.
   Val walked up eyeing the unfamiliar Were in her territory. "This doesn't look like a man."
   Pierce smiled. "She is the new Alpha of Oakdale."
   Leona nodded her head down in respect. "Only under you and your mates true leadership." Leona wanted to show that she understood her position under Val and Allira.
   Val took in the other woman nodding soon after. Allira approached along with their third mate, Drake.
   Leona raised both eyebrows but did not comment. She only greeted Drake and Allira with a smile.
   "Where is Paula?"
   Val pointed behind her toward the house. "She just got back."
   Pierce nodded with a smile doing her best to be polite around their guests. There were a few other Weres new, mingling around.
   No need to drive off anymore she put the keys in her pocket heading into the house.
   Val gave Kathleen a curious look. Kathleen only shrugged as confused as she was.
  After five minutes of conversation in politeness curiosity got the best of Val. "I'll be back." Val kissed both of her mates cheeks before following after Pierce.
   Paula was in the kitchen teaching a few of the pack members how to make chicken dumplings.
   Ryan stood over his grandma watching with fascination.
   Paula's eyes gazed up sensing her daughters eyes on her. "Give me a moment." She rinsed her hands off further instructing them and walked toward Pierce.
   Pierce said nothing heading to the back patio as Paula followed.
    Sliding the patio door shut Pierce scrutinized Paula for a moment. Arms crossed she asked, "anything from our past I should know about?"
   Paula looked dumbfounded. "What's the matter?"
   "Answer the question."
   "Pierce. If you could explain the matter...I can know more on what you're referring to."
   Pierce snarled going along with Paula's request. "You remember a woman named Leona? She was in this pack before it went under."
   Paula's face blanched just enough for Pierce to further into her suspicions. Far as what to be suspicious of, Pierce had no clue.
   "She's the new Alpha of Oakdale. She's here."
   "Ah. I know of her. She helped me during my pregnancy with Valerie."
   "Were you pregnant any other time?"
   Paula face blanched again. "No. Never. Why?"
   Pierce did not know what to think. From Leona's confusing statement and the vision, Pierce could not understand what anything meant. What was real.
   "I had a vision. More like a memory. I don't remember being there for the birth of Valerie, but that's the memory I think I had."
   Paula thought some time and nodded. "I can't say who was all there. That night is very hard to remember. I almost lost Valerie."
   "You don't remember if I or another woman was there?"
   Again Paula considered what to say. It was so long ago. Why open up the past now, Paula thought to herself.
   "I wouldn't be having a memory reappear like that in my vision of it wasn't important." 
   "Well perhaps it was all a vision. How do you know if it was a memory?"
   Paula was questioning Pierce as if to confuse her further.
   Val opened the sliding door. "Everything okay?"
   Pierce and Paula both nodded in unison. What ever was going on, Pierce did not want to worry her sister. Val had a lot on her plate and would be leaving tomorrow to fight with strangers in Virginia.
   Val narrowed her eyes on both of them. Letting it go, she went to a new topic. "Leona seems great. Though...she keeps staring at me as if I'm an alien."
   Paula laughed but it somehow came out in a nervous way.
   Val only smiled at her ma wondering if she was alright. "Am I an alien and you didn't tell me?" Val was only being silly but still she looked at her ma as if waiting for some new fact about herself Paula left out.
   Pierce expression turned into a grin toward her little sister. "If you were an alien, I would have known. I changed your diaper."
   Val frowned, embarrassed. "Thanks, I guess." Shaking her head she said, "we should all greet them and get this over with."
   They all nodded and followed Val back inside.
~
   After the meeting Val and Allira performed the ritual to allowing the Alpha's of the smaller packs they reached so far into their pack. They'd given the rules and instructions on what to do if they needed assistance. The promise to make sure all their packs did not starve was made as well by Val and Allira.
   Thankfully Val sold her business and was setting up a new business through Allira that would roll in enough profit to take care of all. Val and Allira had to slowly build their way through California. Couldn't take packs in only to not provide what they offered the pack right here with them.
   Everyone had a role to play and when morning came Val stood outside with her pack.
   She'd kissed both her mates fiercely, placing her hand now over Drake's belly. Kneeling down she whispered to the cubs growing in Drake's belly. "I will back to sing to you again."
   Marisa snorted. "I'm sure they'll know once you're back with that singing voice."
   Truth was, Val's voice would win no prize. She could hardly get one correct tune out. But what did her cubs know? They would love her voice no matter what.
   "Take care of yourself," Drake said weakly.
   Realizing, this would be the first time Val would leave her mates for more than a few hours a tear slipped from her eye. The distance would be harsh on them but their love was unshakable. They would get through it.
   "Please..." Val tone held stress..."do not put yourself in harm's way."
   Looking at her sister, Val did her best not to shed anymore tears but failed. The last time Val left Pierce it took her over twenty years to get back to her. That knowledge came back into her eyes. Wariness filled them.
   Pierce shook her head running her fingers through Val's hair. "Hey...I'll be fine. If you're gone more than two weeks I will come after you."
   Val smiled feeling comfort in that. "I have so much to come back for. We will all come back."
   "Oh...I know." Pierce pointed to Kathleen. "We can reach each other in just a blink." Pierce embraced her little sister, squeezing her tight for a long time. "Love you."
   "I love you too," Val said muffled from her face buried in her sisters shoulder.
  Pierce smiled trying not to show her emotions. Val needed to do this. This was bigger than their pack.
   Leona watched from a distance taken aback by the connection she witnessed between Val and Pierce. If only they knew the truth of their ma's deception. She would have to find a way to tell them the truth. Surely, Pierce would not believe what she had to say. Then again, perhaps she would.
~
   Kathleen had opened a portal telling all the Alpha's to think of where they wanted to go and one by one the entered leaving.
   The portal stayed open as Val held both her mates again before walking to the portal with five of their wolves.
   "You do not know where to go so I will guide you in," Kathleen said. She looked at Pierce longing. "I will be back in an hour."
   Pierce only nodded with a light smile.
   Kathleen looked at Val and her mates. Than over to Ryan, Pierce's son, Paula and the rest of the pack.
   Pierce widen her eyes seeing the question in Kathleen's. Kathleen wanted to see Pierce alone tonight and Pierce nodded. Pierce did not want to hold back with Kathleen. Though she felt the pressure of fear in her chest, Pierce wanted to explore possibilities with Kathleen rather than run.
   Pierce nodded as she waved them all off and went to tending to the pack.
   Her son ran up to her. "You miss her?"
   "I'll always miss Valerie. Even when she's standing right beside me."
   Ryan snorted. "I know that mom. I'm talking about Kathleen."
   Pierce brows furrowed, as she blanched enough to be visible. "Never mind Kathleen." There she went again, automatically denying the feelings she had for Kathleen. She needed to make up her mind eventually. She Kathleen would grow impatient.
   Ryan snickered, hugging her. "Mom. It's alright. She's good for you."
   Before Pierce could say Kathleen and her were merely friends which was sort of a lie he ran off.
    "Damn."