Chapter Twenty-One

Allira walked down the stairs after speaking to Spencer. A few dozen of the pack were comfy in the living room watching a movie. Walking through the house to the back patio Allira found Marisa exactly when Spencer left her.
   After Spencer gave her opinion on Marisa not adjusting well, Allira knew she had to talk to Marisa. If Valerie was here it would have been easier but Marisa was a part of her now and she needed to connect with the woman who been there for Val for a number of years.
   "Hey." Allira's tone was warming though it seemed to roll right off Marisa's shoulders like a marble rolling off the table. "You mind if I sit?" She pointed to the seat next to Marisa.
   Marisa shrugged. "You're the Alpha. Do I really have a choice?"
   "Usually...I'm always about giving personal space."
   "Then that's a no on having a choice," Marisa spoke dryly. Marisa waved her drink toward Allira, gesturing for her to sit.
   "You going to tell me what's bothering you?"
   "Spencer tell you to come down here to bother me?" Marisa said 'bother' as if to emphasize in exclamation marks how much Allira was bothering her now. "The one time I don't flirt with Spencer, she gets all dramatic and sends you down here."
   Allira frowned. She took nothing Marisa said personal. Clearly there were things going through Marisa's mind that was stressing her out. Her usual cool and smooth self seemed gone. "Talk to me."
   "I appreciate you seeming to--"
   "Hey now." Allira shook her head. "I would be down here rather you were Val's best friend or not. Rather I didn't like you or not. Because you are my pack. My family now. And I'm your Alpha. Top all that...I want to be here...sitting beside you right now."
   Marisa arched brow. "You don't like me?"
   "Not what I said." Allira saw the look that stayed stuck on Marisa's face. Stuck in a questioning glare. "You're a bit too arrogant for me. But so is Val and she's my mate so I can't talk. Your also bring humor and uniqueness to our pack. And I know if it came down to a tough fight you'd have everyone's back. All the qualities we need. I like you."
   "Uniqueness on being turned by a bite and not born as one," Marisa said bitterly.
   Allira saw where the problem was coming from. "You're more unique than that. But...you do make a statement. A path to opening everyone's minds."
   "Well...thanks for your kind words. I'm sure many are compelled to follow you after a speech like that."
   "I understand that your life has switched on you but I am your Alpha. Perhaps you should be wise how to speak to me. Just humor me a little."
   Marisa frowned standing straight up. "I don't need a fucking lecture on who I am or how I should act. I Damn well didn't have a mother to direct me. I don't need one now. Especially from some child."
   Instinctively, Allira clamped her hand around Marisa's neck in a Alpha's disciplinary act. Marisa was insulting her and she couldn't have that.
   Marisa snarled fighting against Allira's dominance. "Back off," Marisa shoved Allira but was unsuccessful at moving her away. Allira might have been younger but she was an older werewolf.
   Out of instinct Allira clamped her claws down harsher around the back of Marisa's neck, her wolf's need to put Marisa in her place. Claws embedded in her neck.
   Before Marisa was able to swing out Val was right there to catch her arm.
   Instantly, Val's eyes moved from her mates with concern to Marisa in anger. "Did you just try to hit my mate?"
   Marisa face dropped as all anger drained out of her. Instead of answering, Marisa's head fell even lower unable to shield her emotions from Val. Val was her sister in every way that counted and she was about to hit her mate. Tears stung at her eyes.
   Val saw the grief in Marisa's posture and sighed. "Can you..."
   Allira knew what her mate was asking. "I'll be upstairs."
   Walking toward the sliding door Allira found Spencer standing near within earshot. Others swerved their heads in her direction curious. Allira heard laughter and harsh words directed at Marisa and she snarled. "None of you are helping. If I hear one more insult I'll put you in your places. Either challenge her or shut up." She stocked off to Drake.

~

   Val stood next to Marisa for a while. She needed to choose her words correctly. She'd none Marisa for over ten years. Val known the bullshit and pain her best friend endured. Val also knew there were only a few times she witnessed her friend aggressively act out.
   Pulling herself out of the need to protect Allira, Val spoke softly. "I know you. You keep on pushing with a charismatic smile. But...you're hurting. Scared."
   "I'm not scared," Marisa snarled out. Val frowned and Marisa snarled again.
   "I'm not coming to you as an Alpha." Val wanted to make that clear. "We're best friends...sisters. In a way I know what it feels like to have the rug pulled from underneath your feet. I didn't want this position when I first found out what I was. Who I was. When I first thought I was turning into a werewolf I was bombarded. Then I found out I always carried the werewolf bloodline and soon I began to accept. I guess because I was always meant to be. And that's where we separate in our experience. I grieved for the time of lost in not being a werewolf...whereas you grieve for the loss of being human."
   Marisa stared up at her friend not surprised Val could understand her emotions. What she was feeling. "I'm not use to..."
   "I know." Val looked around the patio and back toward the sliding door as if searching for someone. "You're surrounded by a bunch of people. Werewolves...but people none the less. It's always been me and you. No one else. After you lost..."
   "I don't want to talk about that. Please." Marisa's voice was weak.
   Val heard pleading in her friends voice and nodded. "Look. I love you. For now...because you're new to this all and the danger out there. I need you to stay. Plus...you can help me protect our pack. You're strong for a new werewolf. But...once you are strong enough to handle your wolf and it's safe enough. If you still feel too crowded...you can leave. You will always be apart of this pack...but you don't have to stay here."
   Marisa nodded. She knew if she left things would be different. There was no pretending to be human. Every month she would be forced to shift.
   "I want you to stay. I hope you do. I can't imagine even days without you by my side. Others want you to stay. But I won't force you." Val squeezed Marisa's shoulder.
   "I will apologize to Allira," Marisa said regretful of how she treated Val's mate.
   "You should." Val wasn't angry. "Allira doesn't take what happened personal. She's a cool woman if you give her a chance. I know you like Drake and from what I hear from her, she thinks you're sweet."
   Shyly, Marisa smiled. "I'll do better."
   Val nodded and headed up to her mates.
   Marisa stood alone out on the patio in need of a serious Vodka or gin and tonic. She had a lot to think about.
   Though she was new to the werewolf life, her enhanced sense of smell alerted her that someone was near. Marisa had familiarize herself with Spencer's scent to know it was her.
   "Hey..."
   Spencer stood a few feet away, cautious.
   Despite wanting to play unsway by Spencer nosing her was into her business, Marisa turned with a frown. "I did not ask you to get involved."
   Spencer winced stepping back. "I was only trying to help."
   "I did not ask for it," Marisa hissed. She was irritated. "I simply wanted to be alone." Pacing around, Marisa stopped looking back toward Spencer who looked astonished by her behavior. "You've been around werewolves you entire life. Outside this world..." Marisa swirled her hands around making a morbid emphasis on the word world..."when someone wants to be alone...that's what they mean. You didn't go adding people into someone else's business."
   "But...your not a human--"
   "But a few weeks ago...I was." Marisa yelled. "Gosh. You don't get it. I thought you lived amongst human's for a few years." Marisa waved Spencer off. "Never mind. Just please...leave me alone." With that she walked off passed Spencer stunned.