Chapter Twenty-Seven

A heavy door opened scraping against the concrete floor. Pierce sat in the only chair in the room for the last two hours. The room was stripped of all furnishings, dull grey paint on the walls.
   Pierce used one of her wolfish claw nails to chip away the wood on the chair arm. There was nothing better to do.
   From outside the room Pierce heard footsteps clicking hard against the floor. Someone was approaching.
   "Open it." Maerla's voice was crisp and demanding.
   The door opened, Maerla standing between her path to freedom. Her eyes were highlight green. There was disdain in Maerla's expression. Maerla huffed when she noticed the mess Pierce made. Wood pieces scattered below the chair Pierce sat in.
   Maerla made no comment on the mess.
   Casually, Pierce let the claws form on each of her toes, tapping them against the ground. She watched as Maerla cringed from the sound.
   "Will you stop?" Maerla hissed.
   Slugging her feet under the chair, Pierce claws scratched against the concrete like claws against a chalkboard.
   Pierce observed Maerla's body strain and face skewing into enmity. "If I could ward myself of you now..." Maerla blew out harshly..."you won't be smiling in a few short days."
   Maerla winced after sniffing visibly. "You stank of fur and my sister."
   By the furtive glance in Maerla's eyes, Pierce knew an idea came into her mind.
   "Let's get you cleaned up." She obverse Pierce thoroughly. "Follow me."
   Pierce knew there was no point in resisting. She just had to get through the next day and Kathleen would find her. Standing, Pierce followed without argument. They walked into another room that led to some stairs. There was a tub the size of a ten person crystal white Jacuzzi. There were steps that led inside it. A long closet stretched down one side of the room. The floor was marble cherry red. The four walled corners that suffused the room were covered with mirrors, top to bottom.
   One of the Fae approached Pierce holding out a robe.
   Pierce narrowed her eyes from the Fae to Maerla.
   Only thing Maerla did was wave, a smile playing on her face. She was enjoying Pierce's confused suspicion.
   "I prefer to undress in private." Pierce chose this moment to finally speak.
   Maerla grunted. She did not move right away. "Keep an eye on her," she told the Fae woman serving Pierce with a robe.
   "Yes, my Queen," the woman said timidly.
Queen. That was a stolen title Maerla took like the rest of Kathleen's people.
   Maerla left, closing the door behind her.
   Pierce reviewed the room coming up with nothing potentially hazardous to her health. No threat.
   "You should hurry. Dinner will be served in the next hour."
   By the sound of this Fae's voice she sounded scared as if she'd be punished if Pierce did not move quick enough. "You're one of the Fae Maerla took."
   She did not speak but nodded quickly as if afraid of being watched. She kept her head slanted down as she whispered, "how is the Princess?"
   "She's safe," Pierce assured her. Pierce wanted to tell the woman Kathleen would be coming for all of them but thought better of it. Even though she was faithful to Kathleen's leadership, Maerla was probably forcing at this moment to be a spy. She could torture what Pierce say out of her. "Her father's dead. Your King. She was still grieving last I saw her." If anything, Pierce wanted to make Maerla think Kathleen was too unfocused to plan a thorough and successful attack.
   The woman said nothing else and Pierce decided to play her part. She looked around expecting Maerla to pop in at any moment as she began removing her clothes.
   Once Pierce was bare and exposed she waved the robe away. Being a werewolf, Pierce lost her shyness long ago. She was comfortable with her body. She hid the bite Kathleen gave her over her arm. It was healing faintly into an image similar to a birthmark. A pale red mark that would forever be there.
   "The tub is ready for you."
   Ambling toward the tub, Pierce went up the steps dipping her toes into the water. It was the right amount of heat. Pierce slid into the tub sitting as the water raised high above her breast. Her arms rested at the edge of the tub.
   Taking a breath, Pierce went deep into the barrel of her chest calling out to her bond. She was too far to speak to Kathleen, their bond still knew but she could send her a message.
   "Do you need help bathing?" She asked standing beside the tub.
   Twisting to the side, Pierce viewed the woman already grabbing the bar of soap and sponge. Smiling politely, Pierce shook her head. She reached for the sponge and soap. "I got it." When Pierce's hand grabbed the soap, her hand inflamed. Pierce's eyes burned effected by the acid burn that shocked from her hand up her arm. The taste of metal suffused Pierce's mouth. Pierce's hand shook violently and she dropped the soap into the water. Pierce snarled, wolf awakening as her hands discolored. The soap dissolved fizzing inside the water like an Alka-Seltzer.
   It was wolfsbane. Pierce body smacked against the wall of the tub, water splashing out. Pierce body scorched everywhere the wolfsbane spreading into the water. Gradually Pierce felt her skin numb and tingle. The blood that pumped through her chilled inside. She couldn't defend herself or climb out.
   Pierce could hear something click. The tub shook. Twisting her head to one side she could see a clear glass closing on top the tomb like a window shutting her inside. Weakly, Pierce heaved her hand out, trying to keep her head afloat.
   Maerla's laughter slapped into her eyes as Pierce was forced to go under the water.
   The more water filled to the very top and with only a few seconds left Pierce sucked in one last breath. She held it, trying to punch her first through the glass in top. Pierce was far to weak. The wolfsbane burned in her eyes.
   Maerla stood over the tub, glancing down at Pierce with a pleasured grin. "Perhaps a deep clean will wash away the mistake of my sister ever being with someone like you."
   Pierce continued to hold her breath. She blinked a few times, too tempted to see if Maerla was watching her. Taking her mind off of Maerla's taunting approach, Pierce closed her eyes for the final time.
   "Make sure you let her out the moment it is time for dinner." Pierce could hear Maerla speaking.
   "But my Queen...that's not for another thirty minutes," the woman said panicked.
   "She's a werewolf. She'll drown over and over again. But sadly, it won't kill her."
   Maerla's footsteps distance and Pierce could her the door close.
   The woman came back, Pierce hearing the vibration of the woman's footsteps.
   Her lungs felt as if they were expanding like balloons right before popping. All her arteries and vessels clogging. Pierce's brain squeezed against her skull like an intracranial pressure. She couldn't hold her breath for much longer.
   "I'm so sorry," the woman whispered.
   One last time, Pierce's hand smacked up against the glass. Pierce lost the gold as she sucked water in through her nose. Mind frenzied in panic, Pierce opened her mouth subconsciously as if she could possibly breathe that way. Water filled into her lungs. The taste of wolfsbane burning around every corner of her mouth. Eyes a honey gold, canines exposed as Pierce couldn't seem to close her mouth back. Pierce gagged, drowning and unable to get out.
   Blacking out, Pierce eyes closed. The thought of Kathleen. The fear she would be getting right now. Now that they were mated Kathleen would feel the pain Pierce was and that angered her. Just fight.
   As Pierce opened her eyes again everything came back full circle. The reminder that she was underwater with no breath to take. Part of her vision blackened. Her skin rubbery as it slid against the tub floor. The taste of wolfsbane in her mouth and skin dull and agonized. Pierce tried to snarl and more water filled inside her lungs. Her ribs hurt viciously as if they were being pressed outward.
   The thoughts of her pack. Her children and Kathleen dimmed. It was just Pierce and the water. She was drowning all over again. There was no greater pain then this moment.
   Pierce blacked out again, this time her mind completely seized by the fear of never getting out. With one last push of effort, Pierce thought of Kathleen's promise. She would find her. Pierce let that memory sync in right before drowning all over again.