Chapter Twenty-Nine

For the next two hours they walked down a trail heading toward mountains. There was too much fog covering their path.
   The cold air passed through Val's skin and every hair particle on her body. Val shivered blowing out visible mist.
   "Why is it so fucking cold?" Marisa rubbed her hands up and down her arms.
  Val paused, holding her hand up. "Stop."
   Taking a risk, Val glanced at the corner of her eye at a thick branch a few feet, dangling from a tree.
Muscles starting up, Val reeled herself inhumanly to the branch. She yanked it off the tree tossing it out like a spear.
They heard a high pitched scream than nothing.
   Taking a guarded step Val snarled. "Stop with the games." There was no mistaking who it was.
   Only one who had an habit of taunting everyone.
   "If you're looking for Pierce, you won't find her. Not that she would ever be a pond in your game."
   "How disappointing." Blair's voice voice came off in a chuckle. "Fortunately, I'm here for you."
   That was doubtful. "What do you want?"
   Blair came out enough for Val to see her sapphire eyes through the dark shadows of the trees.
   "Straight to the point." Blair snickered. "I thought we might be able to help each other out."
   "No thanks."
   "You're grandmother--my apologies. Your auntie." She smiled exposing white cleaned fangs. "Your family tree is so inconclusive and confusing. How do you keep up with what's true?" She waved off her mocking words. "I saw your mother...not sister. She's being treated fairly well."
   The wolf Val tried to keep buried snarled out taking a step forward.
   Blair eyes arched in a dangerous glare. Val noticed a twinge of hostile excitement.
   Marisa placed her arm across Val's front. "Not worth it."
   Sucking in a breath Val listened to her friend.
   "Don't worry. I decided your mother is no longer of use to me."
   "Again...what do you want?"
   "You don't know?"
   Val was not playing the guessing game.
   "Okay, okay. Clearly you want me to get to the point." Blair stepped more out into the opening. "I tell you where she is...and I get something in return."
   "No deal." They had Kathleen to find her mother.
   Blair studied Val, wondrous to her new tactic of approach. "Seems you already know how to find her then."
   Val said nothing.
   "Last time, or I'll lose my own patience. What do you want?" Marisa spoke this time.
   Blair stood erect. "Arrange a meeting between my daughter and I."
   "I don't know Elena well."
   "Your cousins with McKayla."
   "Newly found cousins." Val wanted to know what new game she was trying to play. "Ask McKayla yourself."
   Blair hissed. "She would try and kill me on spot. No need in wasting her time." Blair paused than continued before Val could speak. "No tricks. Just encourage Mckayla to encourage my daughter to set up a meeting."
   "Why would I help you?"
   "Perhaps, I've seen the light."
   Val snorted. "Not likely."
   "It would take a lot more for you to see any light." Marisa saw the annoyance pass through Blair 's expression toward her and shrugged. "You don't like when someone teases you? Should we count the many times you've done it to others?"
   "You do know I am much older than you can handle even on my worse days? You should watch your mouth." Blair hissed sharply with her words.
   They were getting side tracked with unnecessary conversation.
   "Leave Blair. I see know point in this conversation."
   "Searching for your father?" Blair said figuratively. Val frowned as Blair smirked. "What if I said you won't find him? Not without my help."
   "What do you know?"
   "That's not how it works." Blair shook her index finger side to side. "You promise to help set up that meeting and I tell you how to find your not biological father." Blair studied her nails arrogantly as if she just checkmate Val. "Besides...you are half Fae. I would hope you wouldn't turn back on your promise or lie once you make it." She was so sure of herself it annoyed Val.
   Val could walk through the trails for hours but the truth was she wasn't picking up Bran's scent. Something magical had to be the cause of her not locating him.
   "I will keep my promise to tell McKayla of your desire to meet with Elena. That's all I can promise you."
   "That's all it will take. My daughter can't say no to seeing me."
   "During my alliance to Maerla I personally witnessed events in front of my unwavering eyes." Through Blair's dramatic words Val listened patiently.
   "She was tracking Bran. Let's just say...she caught up to him. They argued..." Blair snapped her fingers for dramatic purposes..."she put him under an illusion."
   "What does that mean?" Marisa asked.
   "You can't find him because his mind is technically not in this realm."
   Val listened to Blair's words. She knew she was being truthful.
   "How can I reach him?"
   Blair pursed her lips. "That information requires something else from you."
   "We're done," Val could pass the request of Blair meeting Elena. Anything else would be too much.
   "Suit yourself. I hope you figure it out."
   Marisa spoke. "Goodbye."
   "If I was as cruel as you all seem to think...you'd be a dead pup." Blair's statement was directed at Marisa.
   Instead of reacting Marisa shrugged. "I'm not weak like the average new cub."
   "No...but you are still naive." Blair dismissed Marisa. "Teach your friend how dangerous her mouth can be. And where she can end up."
   Blair sneered one last time before disappearing off.
   Marisa snorted.
   Val sighed. "As much as I hate to say this, she's right."
   Marisa scowled.
   "Your a few weeks old werewolf. You are much stronger yet she's centuries old. I would not be able to face her alone and that says a lot." Val held her hand up silencing Marisa before she could speak. "You have to learn when to speak. It's not like being human and even then we couldn't mouth off unless being able to bite just as bad as our bark." Val halted Marisa from speaking a second time. "The big difference between a werewolf and humans, werewolves don't even bark. They just bite."
   Instead of taking everything so personal, Marisa nodded. This was all new to her and there was no need to be taking things in the heat of the moment with human emotions. She needed to rely on her wolf because It was only way she would survive this new world.
   " I understand."
   "Glad you do."
   "Any idea of how to reach your father?"
   Val smiled, appreciative how Marisa respected the daughter and father bond she built with Bran. Despite the news of Bran not being her biological father, Val only saw Bran as her father.
   Val pulled out her cellphone. Pressing a few numbers she contacted Kathleen. After a few rings Kathleen answered."
   "Are you back?...uhuh...a few things...I need your assistance...okay. See you."
   There was need for Marisa to ask Val anything. She would see soon enough.
   Several minutes flew by when Kathleen skirted around the bushes.
   "You do know what your asking is dangerous?" No greeting. Kathleen cut right to the chase. "If anything happens to you, Pierce--"
   "She's my mother. Not my dictator." Val was up for no discussion. "Work the magic I need to guide me to Bran."
Kathleen nodded. "Your physical body will be comatose to the outside world. Unable to defend yourself."
"I understand." Val pointed. "That's why I have Marisa here."
"Inside this mind illusion Bran is under...you can easily fall under it too. It will test you. You will live in your fantasy until you don't. Make you think all is well and terrify you with your worse fears. Don't try to beat it. Overcome it."
Val nodded.
"Once you free Bran's mind there will be no need to find him. He will come to you."
"Are you sure?"
Kathleen eyes narrowed. "He will come to you."
Thinking wisely, Val listened to Kathleen.
"Listen to your first instinct."
"What should I do?" Marisa stood next to Val.
"Help me keep her safe," Kathleen said.
Marisa nodded. "Done."
Val wanted to get this over with and laid on the ground. The soil beneath her was wet from the cold mist that passed through. Time was of essence. It was important to find Bran fast. Somehow Val knew he was one of the vital necessities to stopping Maerla.

~

   My skin raised goosebumps. There was cold on my back. Opening my eyes I saw a pond. A few wolves fought playfully, splashing at the top of the pond water.
   I twisted to my knees standing up. I was bare from head to toe. My toes dug into the soft soil.
   Hands wrapped around my waist, fingers linking at my pelvis. It was Drake. I felt the swell of her belly at my back.
   "Miss me."
   I smiled. "Help yeah."
   Allira ran pass me grabbing both ends of my face and placed a sloppy kiss on my lip before taking off.
   "You think of names yet?" Drake kissed the side of my neck.
   I grinned while watching Allira run to the few wolves by the pond. She shifted lounging in on the fun. "Valentin, Valeria..."
  Drake slapped my arm playfully. "Why do I even bother."
   "Because you love me dearly."
   "That's true." Drake kissed my neck again. "Want to go back inside and remind me of why I love you so much?"
   Shivers ran up my spine, shooting down to my clit.
   Everything seemed so peaceful. Drama free and safe. Too good to be true.
   "Where's Pierce?"
   Drake shrugged. "Probably with Kathleen. Those two are so in love."
   I turned, facing Drake. "So are we."
   "Yes ma'am." Drake brushed a kiss on my lips. "Your sister is living her life. Let her."
   I snorted. "You're right." I pressed the palm of my hand against her belly. "She's an amazing sister and Alpha."
   "That I am." Pierce ran up slapping her hand on my ass. "You two better get a room. I can smell your frenzy need. Not everyone wants to go humping like wild animals."
   Drake laughed. "Then their missing out."
   "Perhaps." Kathleen said walking up. "But not my lovely mate and I."
   "Come on aunt," Ryan jumped skin. He was one of the wolves play fighting. He leaped into the pond, splashing water at the others near. "The waters cool."
   I smirked. "I prefer to stay above water."
   I was at such peace. Nothing could distract me from this kind of sated happiness.
   There was negative element surrounding me. I felt compelled to cry with joy.
   "What's got you smiling so hard?" Drake asked.
   "Everything." I answered.
   "Life has been perfect since birth. Growing up together was the best years of my life. I love you."
   I smiled, it not reaching my eyes. Something was off. This all seemed too perfect. I was confused. "You live in your fantasy until you don't."
   "What?" Kathleen turned to me.
   I looked up at Kathleen. "That's what you said."
  Kathleen expression skewed. "I don't remember saying that."
   "But, you did." I took a step back.
   "Babe," Drake called out.
   "Let me think." I took in a breath deliberating my next course of action.
   Rushing thoughts blocked me from concentrating. I needed distance and space. There was no way to rationalize these thoughts with them all standing and watching me like inspectors.
   I faked a smile. "I'll be fine. Let me go for a quick hunt. I'm hungry."
   Drake and the rest stared concerned.
   I kissed her on the cheek.
   Allira approached rubbing her hand at my back. "Don't take too long."
   I smiled, falsely. I felt like imposter. "I won't."
   Gathering up more fearlessness I walked off, telling them I'll be back soon and to keep the bed warm. That seemed to ease them all as they all laughed.
   I needed space. I would dissect my thoughts and understand what was triggering this deep under dread inside me. I needed to figure it out before my so perfect world destroyed me.

~
Hey Everyone! Sorry for the delayed chapter. This Month has be hectic. Weddings, overtime, and other demanding things. Jumping back on track.

Enjoy! I'll update again in a few days!