Chapter Twenty-Five

Marisa practically dragged Kathleen back toward the portal. "We need to get the fuck out of here."
Another arrow swiveled only a few inches passed Marisa head forcing her to duck to the ground. When she looked back up she was faced with a ten foot high bushed wall. Vines intertwined through out this bush wall, summer grass green. She looked to her side finding the same thing. No sight of Kathleen.
Snarling, Marisa closed her eyes doing as practiced, calling to her wolf. Her senses heighten she could smell the faint aroma of Kathleen.
It was as if she stepped into a maze, only a few paths she could follow through only to be stopped by a dead end. Marisa ran back around trying to retrace her steps. It seemed this maze moved shifting to some new path she hadn't quite seen before. Everything did look exactly the same. "This is a trick," she told herself. "Open your true eyes." She needed to make herself see the truth.
Hisses emanated like a distant whistle of cats. Sniffing deep enough Marisa could smell something dead nearby.
Something zipped past her in unnatural speed, bumping Marisa hard enough to have her body propel into the hard bush wall.
Marisa got to her feet swiftly, snarling out in disdain. She let her claws come out, exposing canines. "Fuck." Her heart drummed like the earth beneath shaking from a horse race. Adrenaline was the one thing that would help keep her alive. She crouched low and from the corner of her eye she saw something speed for her.
Marisa was not going to dodge it and let it gain another chance. So when it came tackling for Marisa she charged at her own speed clashing with it.
Her hands clamped around its arms, claws digging into its flesh. It screeched and in a hunting howl she bit into the flesh of its neck.
It's blood tasted foul like centuries old blood. Marisa tackled it to the ground straddling on top as she caught a clear view. It was a woman who looked a few years older than her. Noticing fangs, Marisa snarled, "Vampire." This would be her first time fighting one.
The piece of arrow embedded through her back shoulder snapped, still a wood piece deep inside.
The vampire took advantage of the opportunity gripping the arrow like a small handle as she twisted it around.
Marisa winced slamming the vampire to the ground a few times.
Another arrow spiraled straight into Marisa's lower back as she snarled.
Marisa ignored the pain, straddling the vampire high, sitting on her knees pressing down of the vampires stomach as she used her claws to rake repetitively over the vampires neck and face. Blood spilled and Marisa rose up seeing the vampire finally too weak to move.
All instinct inside Marisa told her to run. She couldn't stay here. She wasn't going to bother to run around lost in this maze.
She called out to Kathleen hoping if she found her so they could escape.
Marisa leaped up a dozen feet high landing on top of the high bush wall. For an illusion she surely could feel it as if it was truly real.
Looking in bi-directional angles Marisa ran atop trying to find a way out when something leaped up chasing after her.
She peaked while running finding the same vampire she thought injured bad enough not to be getting up any time soon.
The vampire was faster, leaping as she tackled Marisa from off the ten foot high bush wall down to the ground. They smacked hard against the ground, Marisa slamming her head first. The arrow at her back snapped off like a twig, just one new peace embedded inside her.
Marisa turned in time to see the vampire trying to drive a dagger into her heart. Marisa caught the vampires arms, fighting against the vampires strength. She knew she was going to fail, not as strong as the vampire and decided to at least divert the dagger. Instead the dagger slowly drove into her uninjured shoulder. She roared, fighting through the pain.
A voice in her head, Valerie's, assured her she was coming.
"Don't," Marisa snarled hoping Val could hear her. Last thing she needed was the pack seeing her weak and needing Val to come save her.
For a long moment their was silence as Marisa continued to fight the vampire.
In a loud pant she screamed please.
Marisa knew what she needed to do. Something she had been avoiding.
Pushing forward she resisted the invasion this vampire was causing. The dagger gradually exited as Marisa maneuvered, clasping her claws into the vampires throat.
This would be now or never. It was one thing to injure, or heat of the moment. But, this would be Marisa's first time taking a life rather it she was human or vampire; did not matter.
Marisa's eyes darken from sadness as she sighed her claws deeper into the vampires neck, blood spilling onto her.
The vampire changed positions scratching at Marisa's arms trying to get free.
It was either Marisa or the vampire. As much as Marisa might have been struggling as a werewolf and with a pack, she was not ready to die.
Marisa's wolf was more than present. Her wolf took over just to yank the vampires trachea from her neck.
Blood painted her face and top body as Marisa shoved the dead vampire off of her.
There was no time to rest. No time to think of the mental effects of taking a life. Marisa had to keep going. Only way to surviving.
Marisa staggered around the maze a few times colliding into Kathleen.
"Fuck. I've been trying to find you." Kathleen words flew out of her looking in bad shape herself. Not as bad as Marisa. "The portals through here."
Kathleen grabbed onto Marisa and they literally jumped through the portal onto hard soil. Back into the safety of pack.
Digging her fingers into the hard soil, Marisa had a flashback of digging her claws into the vampires neck and snarled wincing. It was almost disbelieving that she'd killed another person not even five minutes ago.
Somewhere inside Marisa she knew what she done was inevitable. That it would forever be apart of her life. There would always be a war to fight in the supernatural one. Same as humans in their world.
She volunteered to help Kathleen. No one made her or forced her to kill. Val would have came and helped but Marisa begged her not to. The whole werewolf gene inside her not wanting to look weak.
Voices came at a distance as she felt her friends hands at her back.
Marisa snarled from the pain.
"Do not shift," Val ordered. "You had to be high on adrenaline not to realize that you were shot with thin silver arrows. We have to remove them first."
Pierce saw Marisa first than Kathleen who sat on the ground quiet and comatose. "Are you hurt?" Pierce whispered.
Kathleen took a moment to answer. "Only my honor for this family is hurt." Tears fell from her eyes finally able to let herself feel everything. "She killed him. My father." She looked into Pierce's eyes. "He's dead. I don't know where she's taken my people. My naive brother and his children."
Val got the pack to run a perimeter check and she helped Marisa back to their home.
Pierce got Kathleen to get up and follow.
Back at the house Val helped assist Marisa onto the kitchen table as Spencer rushed in with her medical bag.
"Damn..." Spencer hissed. Seeing Marisa like this bothered her. "Can you give us space?"
Val nodded telling everyone to back away. She leaned down to whisper to Marisa, "we will talk once your in good health."
Marisa squeezed her eyes shut. She knew what their conversation would Intel.
"This will hurt." Spencer frowned at her own statement. Of course it will hurt, silly.
"I need to cut your shirt open."
Marisa waved her to go.
Seeing Marisa come back hurt effected Spencer. Nothing made Spencer comfortable in seeing her this way. Despite how she felt she kept silent. Marisa wouldn't want to hear what she had to say. Not after their last argument.
Spencer pulled both the silver arrowheads out Marisa. "You can shift now. It'll help heal you faster."
Marisa nodded. Slowly, she twisted around sliding off the table. Marisa pulled off the rest of her shirt. "Tell Val that I'll be back in an hour or two."
Though she wondered where Marisa would go, Spencer asked nothing.