Chapter Twelve

Val guided the submissive wolves further back all of the dominant one standing protective.
   "Marisa. Open your eyes."
   Taking in rapid deep breaths, Marisa crawled hands and knees away from Val, whimpering from her last wave of agony.
   "Why does it have to hurt...so damn much?" Marisa groaned breathless. Her ribs felt as if they were being split apart.
   "Open your eyes." This time Val's voice came off in an Alpha's tone not a friend.
   Marisa followed Val's voice and opened her eyes gradually. The blue that had been there all Marisa's life was now replaced with a shade of gold.
   Val smiled at her friend before letting sapphire emanate out. "I can only guide you through the shift. It is tradition to only guide not force your first shift. You have to find your wolf and connect."
   Marisa's body strained the urge to vomit as another wave of pain started at her back. With a loud pop her back snapped inward before repositioning. Muscles stretched like elastic twisting into knots. Her skin sweat and Marisa gripped her fingers around Val's arm reaching for help.
   Val grimaced as the nails in Marisa's hands formed into claws.
   "Breathe and don't fight your wolf."
   All the bones in her body began to break and dislocate into new transformation. Her teeth stretched into longer fangs.
   Marisa arched her body from her hands and knees yanking off her shirt.
   Thankfully, she'd been in just a tank top and shorts. It was easy to strip her clothes away.
   Within a minute Marisa shifted into her wolf gray thick pelt and gold eyes.
   Val stepped back giving Marisa a chance to get use to her new form. Her legs were wobbly for a few steps pacing around until she was able to hold her stance.
   Standing straight up, Val ordered. "Everyone...shift." following the steps she'd been practicing, Allira joined her as they recited the words needed to be said.
   Val grabbed a knife and grimaced while cutting a piece of her flesh from her arm, as well as Allira. "Eat and join us. Be one with us," Val said.
   Marisa did as she was told, eating the flesh Val and Allira offered.
   "You now run with us. Sleep and hunt with us. You are us."
   Marisa lowered her body low to the surface as Val and Allira shifted and howled concluding the end of their ritual of establishing Marisa as a new member of their pack.
   On command the pack shifted and they all ran off on their hunt with their newly shifted werewolf, the full moon keeping them out most of the night.

~

   "Seems I missed the party." Kathleen walked into the house showering gifts for everyone. Two huge foiled containers of medium rare cooked steak. "I figured you were all hungry."
   "Right." Val snickered as she opened the top letting out all the deliciousness steam out.
   Kathleen smiled cheekily placing the two containers on the kitchen counter.
   "What's got you in a good mood?" Val asked with an arched brow.
   "In just a few hours, when the sun has reached its peak we will be one step closer to finishing this unnecessary war."
   "So, that's what's got you whistling in my home?" Val challenged.
   Kathleen smiled. "One of the reasons. Can you point me in the direction of PIerce?"
   "Sure thing, auntie," Val teased.
   Kathleen guided herself through the kitchen to the back entrance that led to the patio.
   She could see Pierce laying back on a patio recliner chair, an outdoor fire pit brewing heat.
   Her back was to Kathleen but Pierce could feel her all the same. Her skin swarmed with chills awaiting Kathleen's approach.
   "Can I join you?" Kathleen's voice soaked in rasp, teasing with noticeable desire.
   "There's a chair," Pierce pointed non-chalant.
   Kathleen smirked. She knew Pierce would play as if she'd forgotten their shared passionate kiss. Doing the opposite of what Pierce expected, Kathleen took a seat at the end of Pierce's long stretched out patio chair.
   Pierce's feet rested a few inches from her and Kathleen picked up one of Pierce's feet placing it onto her lap.
   "What are you--ah..."
   Pierce groaned the moment Kathleen sank the palm of her thumbs into the center of her feet. Her toes curled and it took her a moment to regain some control. God, she felt silly and embarrassed for letting Kathleen just swoop on over and make her feel like jelly in less than a minute.
   "Maybe...you should stop."
   Kathleen eyes fell intense on her. Unexpected. "Do you want me to?"
   Now Pierce felt wrong for even suggesting anything. She was so confused. No she wasn't. She was scared. Pierce felt throughout all this was too good to be true. It was a high risk in letting herself feel this. On the irony side, who knew a woman would be the cause of her flustered body. Pierce answered honestly. "No."
   Kathleen smiled tenderly at her. Pierce was being open and vulnerable and Kathleen had to acknowledge that. "Good."
   Pierce rolled her eyes. "I thought I would get a thank you. I don't let anyone touch me, let alone give me a foot massage."
   In her seductive smile, Kathleen slid closer to Pierce, her hand lightly brushing Pierce thigh. Pierce stifled a groan that Kathleen still heard as she leaned closer to Pierce. "When it comes to saying thank you, I prefer not to waste them with words."
   By the way Kathleen kept glaring at her, Pierce skin overheated wanting to feel more than Kathleen's breath a few inches away.
   "How would you say it?" Pierce was beyond breathless.
   Kathleen leaned in closer, "like this..." She brushed her lips onto the flushed skin of Pierce's cheek.
   Pierce moaned despite the disappointment of where the kissed ended up. Kathleen was such a tease, but a masterful one.
   Pierce traced the tips of her fingers along Kathleen's cheekbones up her long pointy  ears. "Are the fae the same as Santa Claus Elves?"
   Kathleen squinted her eyes.
   Not helping herself, Pierce smirked.
   In a playful gesture Kathleen reached for Pierce tickling her. "I'll give you a Christmas gift," Kathleen laughed.
   As much as Pierce held reserved in the past with Kathleen it seemed to shed away.
   Kathleen stood, pulling Pierce up with her. Turning to open space in the packs backyard that led to woods Kathleen swirled her hand as magically water began to form from the sky and life around. Gallons upon gallons of water pooled together as it formed enough for half the pack to swim in.
   Pierce eyes arched in amaze and then fear when Kathleen turned giving her a furtive smile. "Oh no."
   Laughing, Kathleen nodded. "Oh yeah." She wrapped her hands around Pierce waist and then thruster their bodies into the water.
   Both Kathleen and Pierce swam up, water as high as five feet, just ending at their neck line. Pierce could not comprehend how this was possible. Their was not hole in the ground holding the water in place but magical walls.
   "Don't focus on the magic." Kathleen's voice was soft. "Focus on the fun of it."
   Pierce saw her son come to the patio calling for her.
   About to shout to her son, Kathleen shook her head. "We're under a glammer," she whispered.
   "He can't see us?" Pierce whispered back.
   Kathleen shook her head. As if grabbing a handful of dirt, Kathleen grabbed a handful of water as it formed into a small oval pool of water in her hand and then launched it at Ryan like a snowball.
   Ryan got hit by the water ball in the shoulder and snarled. "What the hell?" Frowning he walked back into the house.
   Immediately, Pierce and Kathleen both started laughing. This was the most fun Pierce ever had. She needed this. It felt good just not thinking.
   Turning to Kathleen to thank her for this she found hunger in her eyes. Pierce flushed.
   Kathleen hands enveloped her and Pierce shivered, breathing in and out slowly. "You're so worth chasing."
   Taking in Kathleen's words, Pierce said weakly. "You sure you want to risk everything for me? I don't even know what I'm doing."
   Kathleen's eyes dropped down to Pierce's lips. "Then I'll guide you until you see your way. But trust me...just being right here with me now is doing plenty."
   Pierce nodded because she couldn't form words.
   Taking the lead, Kathleen leaned her forehead into Pierce's and then slowly guided their lips together. The first connection of their mouths tantalize every nerve in their bodies as air sucked of them. Chills ran up both their arms and they pressed against each other making their second attempt at another kiss.
   Pierce hands fell delicate around Kathleen's face, stroking her fingers up Kathleen's pointy ears and then dug her fingers inside her hair. Their second kiss was deeper and more strangled with hunger and need.
   Pierce had never been kissed like this before. So raptured and lost in her desires. She never wanted this to end. As Kathleen's thumb began circulating over the small of her back Pierce groaned repetitive unable to control the enticed sensation she was experiencing.
   "God. Wait." Pierce hands clamped around Kathleen's forearms, taking a deep breath. Her bottom lip quivered taking a moment to regain some stability.
   Kathleen grazed a soft kiss over Pierce's forehead. "We have nothing but time."
   Pierce nodded thankful Kathleen understood what was transpiring through her mind.
   Kathleen looked up toward the house straight into the eye of Val. Pierce followed Kathleen's line of sight and sighed. "She can see us?" She asked embarrassed.
   Giving Pierce a sympathetic smile Kathleen nodded. "She is half fae."
   Kathleen snapped her fingers taking away the glammer and all the water that had been holding them dissipated back into whatever source it come from.
   Sadly, their clothes were drenched and Pierce smiled weakly knowing her harden nipples were showing.
   "I better go change. I can bring you down something."
   Kathleen shook her head. "I rather be reminded of the fun we just had."
   Rolling her eyes Pierce walked passed Val not saying a word, heading upstairs.
   "Is this the part where you tell me to be careful with your sister, little niece?"
   Val laughed. "It is customary to do that." Val shrugged. "I did not grow up with Pierce. She has been an adult far longer than I have. I trust that you and her know what your doing. You more than her."
   "No...disapproval?"
   "Should I have one?"
   Smiling, Kathleen patted her niece shoulder. "I like Pierce. I more than like her," Kathleen admitted.
   "I've noticed." Val sighed. "So...what's in our future?"
   "Vampires."
   On that statement Val paused as Kathleen took a seat in a chair at the patio table where they all awaited the rest of the pack.
~
   "You'll need to be more specific when you just say vampires."
   Kathleen smiled. "I wanted permission before I invited an old friends into your territory."
   "Go on," Allira said.
   "This fight between Fae and werewolves just got bigger."
   "How big?" Pierce asked.
   Kathleen took a few seconds to soak in Pierce before answering. "It seems whoever is responsible for poisoning my father has an alliance with a vampire that is causing problems in Virginia."
   "Elaborate," Val said.
   "The Alpha of Virginia pack was killed by his own members. This vampire wants power. Power similar to whoever is responsible for the chaos on our side."
   "How do we know these two different issues aren't controlled by the same person."
   "We don't," Kathleen admitted. "But my gut says whoever is here trying to take over--this is personal."
   Val nodded.
   "Who do you want us to meet?" Allira asked.
   "She's from a pack in Arizona. The last Alpha who was killed daughter. One of his daughter's at least."
   Val thought a moment turning to her mates." She looked down at Drake's pregnant belly and thought of her safety.
   "If it makes you feel any better, this old Alpha's daughter is just as pregnant as your mate. They are Weres to trust."
   Making a decision with the look of support from her mates and sister, Val nodded. "Fine. We invite them in."
   "Great. I will go and retrieve them now." Kathleen stood as well as the rest. "Walk with me," she asked Pierce.
   Pierce gazed around, no one looking her way and nodded.
   They walked all the way to the front, Pierce saying briskly, "I'm sorry I stopped you earlier. I liked it a lot."
   "Too much?" Kathleen's question was rhetorical, not expecting and answer.
   Pierce gave her one anyway. "This is all new to me."
   "Being with a woman?"
   Pierce flushed. "That." Her eyes gazed up holding Kathleen's. "And...just feeling the way you've been making me feel. I've never been umm..."
   "Kissed like your entire body could combust?"
   Pierce bit her lip holding in a enticed glance. Kathleen had no prude part in her. "Something like that."
   "Well...I plan to make you feel that way every time."
   Pierce smiled. "I have no doubt."