8756:39:13

Deyanira awakens to the beeping of her alarm clock. She yawns and reaches out her arm to smack the clock. After a few misses, she hits the clock and the beeping ceases. Deyanira groans before she sits up and looks around.

“Ehh, what day is it?” Deyanira says to herself as she stumbles out of bed, “Let’s see… it’s the twenty-third—oh yeah!” Deyanira abandons the fact that she’s tired and rushes to her closet to get dressed. She throws on her favorite shirt—a black tank top with a lacy white sleeve over her right arm—and a pair of black skinny jeans. Oh her way out of the closet she almost trips when trying to put on a pair of black Converse as she makes her way to her vanity table.

Deyanira sits down and quickly snatches up her hairbrush and brushes quickly through her hair. Once she got the little tangles out she hurried to put on some concealer, a thin line of eyeliner and carefully did her mascara.

Once she finishes getting ready, she hops up out of the seat, accidentally knocking it over before rushing out of the room. She slows her pace once she makes it into the hallway and near the staircase. Deyanira carefully takes hold of the railing and takes her time walking down the stairs remembering how last year she fell down them when she was hurrying to get to the living room.

As soon as she hits the ground floor, Deyanira takes off running into the living room to see her mom and her best friends Lieta and Aubrey.

Aubrey turns around from what they were talking about when Deyanira entered the room and was the first to say, “Happy birthday, Deyanira!” After Aubrey said it, Lieta and Deyanira’s mom turn and say it too.

“I hope this is the best day of your life, honey.” Deyanira’s mom says as she hugs her.

“Thanks, Mom,” Deyanira replies as they release each other, “Gosh guys, you seemed to have worked harder this year than you did last year on my birthday—and last year it looked like you bought all of Party City and brought it to my living room! Thanks guys!” Deyanira stepped forward and hugged Lieta and Aubrey whom both said “You’re welcome, birthday girl!” as they hugged her.

“So what’re we doing first this year?” Lieta asked, “Cake, presents or the annual birthday ritual?” Aubrey giggled at the way Lieta said “birthday ritual.”

“I say we eat cake while I open presents and then we can perform the ritual—how’s that?” Deyanira replied.

“Sounds like a plan,” Lieta said, “Let’s get the cake.”