59. You're Young and Your Parents Passed Away So He Gets Custody - Luke

Part 3/4

IN CELEBRATION OF NO SCHOOL TOMORROW! 🙌🙌🙌

...
Requested by:
@StaceyStonier

If you haven't watched Frozen yet, and you don't want to know what happens then:
🚨SPOILER ALERT!🚨

This one also goes into a lot more detail about the loss of their parents, if you find this upsetting you may want to skip this part.
...

Luke:  
"Y/N, Sweetie, I need to do some work okay? Lukey needs to do his job, can you watch Princesses for me? Please?" Luke begged, setting you down in front of the TV. Normally he wouldn't use electronic devices as babysitters but he really needed to get work done.

You had been shadowing to him for the last four hours, and that made it nearly impossible for your poor brother to get anything done, let alone songwriting. Every time he sat down to write lyrics you'd come up next to him and peer up at the piece of paper. Since you hadn't yet mastered reading to really any degree, you pointed to every word you didn't understand (which was most of them) and asked what it said. So now Luke was trying to distract you for just a few precious hours.

This behavior was becoming a pattern. You had been attached to him in the past few weeks since your parents had passed. Luke had gotten custody right from the start, and had spent the last few weeks comforting you and trying to make your transition as easy as possible. He made your new room nearly identical to your old one, he made all of your favorite foods the exact same way your Mum had, and he never left your side. But he had to start working again, so you would have to begin to spend some time on your own.

"Lukey I wanna go with you," you clung to his pant leg while he turned on Frozen, (which was currently) your favorite Disney movie.

Your brother sighed and picked you up, "Princess I need to work, I'll come get you when the movie is over and we'll have lunch, I promise," he said, smoothing down your hair comfortingly as he saw you begin to freak out.

Your eyes welled up with tears, you had developed separation anxiety that was getting so bad that you couldn't even not be in the same room as him anymore. You were too scared that if he was out of your sight you'd never see him again. "Please Lukey, I'll be quiet I promise," your lower lip quivered and your eyes began to fill with tears. That look normally worked, he'd usually give in at this point, he hated seeing you upset.

Luke was sad too, he hated seeing you so young and so broken. He brushed some hair from your face, and your tears from your eyes. "I'll be in my office if you need anything, I'll get you settled before I go," he smiled. He wanted with every fiber of his being to give in and let you (try to) sit in the corner while he worked, but you would be starting kindergarten next year. If he didn't cut the cord and get you used to him not being around every second when would he? It was for the best.

You didn't say anything, just looked up at him mournfully as silent tears started streaming down your face. Luke set you down on the couch, and wrapped you up in your favorite blanket. You watched his every move, only making him feel more guilty as he turned the movie on. Wiping away your still-flowing tears, he kissed the top of your head and left.

You watched him go until he turned the corner and was out of sight. You sniffled and got up to run after him. Then you froze, he would just put you back. What was the point?

You used your palms to wipe away the tears and sat back down. This time you wrapped the blanket around yourself and tried to do what Luke wanted, so you watched the movie. You watched as Anna and Elsa played as children, you watched how happy they were, and that made you feel a little better. You felt warmer, safer, when their parents swooped in to help Anna when she was hurt. Your sniffling stopped and you leaned back against the couch. This wasn't so bad, you could do what he wanted and wait until lunch.