Smoke and Mirrors

Chapter Twenty Nine 

****

I couldn't tell if I was relieved to see our destination, or if I was just so terrified that I felt numb. Part of me couldn't wait to get out of the van, but then, there was a small part of me that was thinking it would probably be better to stay in the van with Liam and risk him going all teen wolf on me than to face whatever we were about to face. 

Liam glanced between the three of us with a look of relief on his face, "I can't believe I did it." He scoffed as the van came to a stop, "For a minute there, I thought I was going to tear the three of you apart." 

Stiles' eyes blinked rapidly, "Yeah. That would have made for an awkward ride home. So, thanks." 

"Think you can bring the same level of control inside La Iglesia?" 

With one flick of his wrist, Liam's claws appeared and he nodded with confidence. 

"Alright, we may actually be able to do this." Stiles stated with his face scrunched up, "I mean... not that I ever doubted us, I just feel better knowing–" 

Something Stiles has a tendency to do when he's nervous is start blabbing and he typically doesn't know when to stop, but this time was different. He immediately stopped talking the moment Derek opened the back door of the van and a Berserker began charging towards us. 

With ease, his large hand gripped onto Derek's collar and his body went sailing out of the van and landed harshly on the ground. I cringed at the impact, even more when the giant creature picked Derek up and began pounding his fists into his abdomen repeatedly. 

"Braeden! Some help please!" I yelled towards the front of the van, but she was already gone. Seconds later, the sound of gunshots rang throughout my ears and Stiles grabbed onto me for protection just in case, then I felt Liam's body join in on our little huddle. 

"He's gone!" 

The minute I heard those words I broke out of the huddle despite being wedged in between the boys.

 I had to get to Derek. 

The first thing I saw was blood. He must have been stabbed by one of the sharp bones the Berserker had on his hands. Derek was groaning in pain as both Braeden and I dropped down onto the ground so we could be at his side, the footsteps behind us indicated that everyone else was gathering around as well. We had only been here for a few minutes and this had already happened, no telling what else is waiting. 

"D-Derek..." I grabbed ahold of his hand, "Oh my God." 

"I-I'm okay..." He tried to send a smile my way but it almost immediately dropped from the pain. There was blood starting to pool in his mouth and drip down his chin. "I'll be okay." 

"How bad is it?" Peter asked as he took the spot behind Braeden.

Derek continued to wince, "I'm fine! I'm fine! Just get to Scott!" Everyone was silent, nobody wanted to leave him there. I knew for a fact that I didn't. "Just find him. We'll be right behind you." He slowly gestured towards Braeden, completely avoiding eye contact with me. "Go!" 

 "Go!"