Belle

Chapter Twenty One 

****

"There you are!" 

"Sorry, I got held up in my mom's office." I rushed into the classroom, making sure to shut the door behind me before tossing my bag onto one of the desks. 

Stiles motioned towards one of the computers before pulling out a chair for me, "It's fine, we should probably get to figuring this out before they need this room." 

"Right..." I nodded, taking a seat. "Thanks." 

He smiled before taking a seat on the desk next to the computer, "It's no problem."

"So, how's your dad?" I asked while I began to pull up the code my grandmother had left me, "He had surgery this morning, right?" 

Stiles' hands clasped together as he nodded, "Yeah, everything went really well." 

"Good." I smiled as the code popped onto the screen. "Aright, we're ready to roll. Any clue as to what the key could be?" 

I watched as Stiles' face scrunched up in concentration before he finally spoke again, "Try Maddy. It's got to be Maddy." 

As hard as I tried to think I couldn't think of a single name that could be the key, but I knew that it most likely wasn't Maddy. "Doesn't Maddy feel a little obvious as a cipher key?" 

"I guarantee it's Maddy. Come on, Autumn...please just try it, it's worth a shot." 

(We can all pretend that's Autumn and not Lydia

(We can all pretend that's Autumn and not Lydia.)

Nodding in agreement I began to type in her name, "Alright, fine I'll try." My finger found the enter button and my eyes were immediately greeted with the word "Error" flashing in front of me. "I don't wanna say I told you so, but I told you so." 

Stiles gave his eyes a roll before speaking, "Okay, yours or Lydia's name. She left the code for you guys, right? So it's got to be one of your names." 

After trying both mine and Lydia's name there was still no luck in unlocking anything, "That's a negative." I sighed, running my hands down my face. "Any other ideas?" 

His lips pursed together, "Hmm...your mom's name? Dad's name?" Once again both names failed to unlock the rest of the list which caused both Stiles and I to let out a puff of air. "Do you have any beloved family pets?" 

"Stiles." I deadpanned, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

The desk made a  noise as he stood up, choosing to pull a chair next to me instead so he could get a better look at the computer screen, "I don't get it. The ashes were left for you and Lydia. I'm assuming the code was either left for the both of you or one of you. I don't understand why this isn't working, you're supposed to be able to figure this out." 

"You're right, why do you think it's so hard? Nobody else is supposed to be able to figure this out." At this point my head was resting in my hands, and we were quickly running out of time.