Baby Hale

Chapter Four

****

"Wow..." 

Deaton looked about as shocked as we did when we first saw Derek as he rested on one of the metal tables at the clinic. We have no idea how he got this way or what we were supposed to do with him, so like always we counted on Deaton to help us out. 

"Wow? Wow as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do', kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for." 

Deaton's eyes turned from Derek to Stiles, "I think you might be overestimating my abilities." 

"What? No...of course not, you got this Deat." I said, giving him a playful punch in the arm only to just receive a look back. "Okay, look. You never saw my kind before...the kind of Banshee I am, you had only heard of it, right? And we're slowly figuring things out. Well, think hard...maybe you've heard of this happening before and we can fix him..." 

"He's cold..." Lydia mentioned, grabbing ahold of his hand. "Really cold." Deaton himself grabbed his other hand for confirmation, nodding once he felt Derek's chilly hand in his. 

Scott's eyes narrowed as he stared at our unconscious friend, "Do you think this is permanent?" 

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." He responded as he began to check Derek's pupils. "This is well beyond my experience." 

"So what do we do?" Stiles asked, leaning his hands against the table. 

Deaton shrugged, "Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

My arms crossed over my chest, "You mean from Kate?" 

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." 

Lydia's eyes never wandered away from Derek, "Why would she want to do this to him?" 

"Knowing Kate it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her." 

I couldn't help but let out a small scoff, "And bad for everyone else, perfect." 

Deaton glanced around at all of us, "You all should probably go home." He said obviously noticing the exhaustion in our eyes. "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So, you all should go get some sleep, it's a school night...And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again. Try to be teenagers." 

"Oh Deaton, we lost our normal lives a long time ago. But, I do have to admit sleep sounds great." I said, resting my head against Stiles. I hadn't been getting the best sleep since everything happened a few months ago, but right now I feel like I could sleep for days. 

"Someone should stay with you." Scott mentioned. 

In the corner of my eye I could see Lydia hold onto Derek's hand a little tighter, "I'll stay. My grades are fine...better than your guys' despite missing a few classes." 

"Yeah...I don't know if I'm okay with this." My lips pursed together, "If you stay I stay." 

"Yeah, no...I'm definitely not okay with this." Stiles spoke up, "Autumn, you really need sleep." 

Lydia nodded in agreement, "You really do. So go, all of you. I'll be fine, and I'll be here with Deaton so I'm safe. 

"Text us if anything happens." 

Scott had obviously agreed for all of us that Lydia would be the one staying, so I just let my eyes dig into the side of his face. He knew I didn't agree so he was doing everything in his power not to look me in the eyes. "Still not okay with this." I deadpanned as I grasped onto the metal table, that's until Scott grabbed onto my arm and began dragging me out with Stiles following behind. "Yeah, okay Mr. Big bad Alpha. I didn't give you the okay to man handle me!"