The prize in the 1982 Cotes du Rhone

Chapter Twenty Four 

****

The sexual tension between Stiles and I was unbelievable, but we both knew that now definitely wasn't the time to let our teenage hormones run wild. As bad as we wanted to let them do just that, they could wait. 

We both sat on the ground in front of the record player since we finally arrived at the lake house, it seemed like we had been here forever but I guess listening to a blank record could make anyone feel that way. Not a single thing could be hear in my own years, let alone Stiles'. "I don't know why we're even here." Stiles finally spoke, he had been sitting in silence twiddling his thumbs ever since we sat down on the carpet. "I mean, at least I don't know why I'm here. This room wasn't made for me..." 

"I can't hear anything either." I admitted, flipping the switch to the record player off. "I don't get it, I don't know what we're supposed to be looking for. Shouldn't I know this? I mean, if I'm basically a carbon copy of my grandmother we should have a connection and I should just...I should just know." 

"Hey..." Stiles said softly, wrapping his arm around my shoulder so he could pull me into his chest. "You do have a connection with her, okay? Maybe we're just not looking in the right spot–" 

My eyes found his, "Or maybe we should be doing something more productive than this. Maybe we should go to the station or where everyone else is and try to help." 

"Babe, we're on the right track we just have to–" 

"Shh–" My hand covered his ears as a faint sound became audible, "Do you hear that?" 

Stiles shook his head slowly, "Hear what?" He muttered into my hand. 

I brought my hand down slowly and pulled away from his grasp, "That sound, it-it's like the record player is still going." Hopping up onto my feet I grabbed him and pulled him onto his feet as well. "It's not on, how is this even possible?"

 "It's not on, how is this even possible?"

"I don't hear anything." 

"Well there's something spinning in here...just listen." I wandered over to the wall and the sound began to get louder. "We have to find whatever this is." 

With eyebrows furrowed Stiles listened and began looking all over, that's until he found cord going into the wall right behind the record player. "Autumn, come here." 

"Did you find something?" 

He picked up the black wire into his hand, "Does this count as something? Do you know what this is for?" 

"No." I shook my head, never seeing the cord before in my life. "My mom never wanted to rearrange anything in this room so I've never really looked behind that before. Pull on the cord." 

"What?" Confusion covered his face, "Wouldn't that put a hole in the wall? I'd rather your mom not hate me." 

Letting out a sigh I grasped the cord out of his fingers and into my own and began pulling. The wall immediately began cracking, making a line up towards the ceiling the more I pulled. I knew that once my mother saw this she would want to kill me, but if this could help us in any way then it would be completely worth facing the wrath of Natalie. "There's something behind the wall, the noise is getting louder."