If you love me let me go...

Chapter Twelve

****

The same cold chill that had haunted my room at Eichen was located in Meredith's as well, although the whole building seemed to be that way. Meredith just sat on the bed opposite of the one Stiles, Lydia, and I had sat down on. No matter how hard we tried nothing was making her talk, she was acting like she didn't know anything. "Meredith, what do you mean you can't tell us?" Lydia asked, starting to once again get agitated with the girl staring at her. 

"We just need the third key, alright? You can give it to us in numbers, letters, hieroglyphs. Whatever you want." 

Meredith shook her head towards Stiles this time, "I can't." She repeated for what seemed to be the billionth time. 

"Then why'd you give us the second key?" 

The look on Meredith's face was uneasy to say the least, "I wanted to help. That's what I want to do. I want to help." 

I nodded sending her a sympathetic smile, "Great, and we appreciate that. So why can't you help us now?" 

She just stared blankly at me shaking her head. Lydia let out a heavy sigh as her body tensed up, "Give us the third cipher key!" 

Meredith's eyes began to gloss over, "Things have changed. I...I can't." 

"Why not?" 

"Guys." Parrish spoke from beside the door, "Go easy on her." 

"I'm sorry. I can't he...he doesn't want me to." 

I sat up a little straighter at this comment, "He? Meredith, who's he?" 

Instead of giving me an answer she began to panic more, "Meredith, who doesn't want you to tell us the third cipher key?" My sister asked, determined to leave this awful place with something to make the trip worth it. 

"The Benefactor." 

Now Lydia was on her feet, "What's his name?!" Meredith stayed quiet, avoiding direct eye contact with the strawberry blonde who was pacing in front of her. Me on the other hand, I was feeling quite awkward now with Stiles directly to my right. "If you just tell us his name." 

Meredith's head shook quickly, "Okay, you're shaking your head

Meredith's head shook quickly, "Okay, you're shaking your head. What's that mean?" 

A scoff slipped from my mouth, one that was too quick to hold in. "Obviously that she doesn't wanna tell us." I muttered with a roll of my eyes. 

I could hear a puff of air slip from his lips before he continued, "Does that mean you don't know? Or you don't wanna help us?" 

"I-I...I can't...I can't help anymore." 

"How do you know about him?" 

All of the sudden Meredith's head began shaking even quicker than before, her breaths rapid and loud. "Guys..."